Blizzard forces 200MB of bloatware to start-up games.

LOST TALE

~200MB of drive space for Battle.Net App/Launcher?! Oh me, oh my! </Sarcasm>
Oh wait, WarCraft 3/Frozen Throne (DigiDistro) as a fresh install and patched to the newest version takes 1.08GB, StarCraft/Brood Wars (DigiDistro) takes 1.21GB freshly installed, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction is 1.5GB from a fresh install, Diablo 3 takes 20.8GB, StarCraft 2 (Wings of Liberty) takes 13.9GB, World of Warcrack takes 26.9GB, Hearthstone takes 2.11GB. Steam with all of my games (~100 including things like RPG Maker XP and Source Filmmaker) gobbles up 304GB, Trainz Simulator (20)12 takes 9.35GB and I have 11.5GB of 3rd-party content for it, uPlay (launcher alone, no games) sips 131MB, Arc Launcher (Perfect World Entertainment) sips 83.4MB whilst STO + PWI + Champions Online + Ether Saga Odyssy + Neverwinter Nights + Forsaken World + Swordsman gulps down 35.7GB...

That's just the storage space. For RAM usage; Arc+ArcOSBrowser sips ~145MB, B.Net App sips ~67MB (the update agent sips ~9MB additional), Skype sips ~77MB, Steam sips ~64.4MB, uPlay sips ~145MB.

Well I don't use an authenticator so I guess I am good. I am not sure about you but I didn't really change the region either. So yes, I do think it's more convenient to have my game start faster without any drawbacks. I would totally skip starting Steam to launch games if I could.

There isn't any reason why the Blizzard game should handle authentication differently depending on if you use the launcher or not. That's just something blizzard has messed up.

Unless I am starting the game immediately after getting Windows to the desktop, there is no difference in time spent getting in to WoW or D3. If anything it is faster because I don't have to type in my password and authenticator code.

The out-of-game chat and direct login to account management are also such a QoL improvement. I don't see this launcher as bloatware because it is legitimately useful to me.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I challenge anyone complaining about the install size of a whopping 222MB to find one single program in exsitence that does EVERYTHING that the Battle.net launcher does AND does it with an interface that is of equal qaulity, but only uses 1/4 the HDD space that people are claiming that it really needs.

It must be able to launch games, access your account for those games, offer two step verification security support for your account and games, allow you to change your connection region for mulitple games to multiple different locations world wide, automatically manage all updates, content downloads or other patches for multiple games in a single location, allow you to chat with people across multiple platforms (desktop, in game and mobile), have a RSS type feed with visual tiles, have an integrated store that allows you to purchase items, games, expansions for games and manage game time subscriptions. It must also include a fully fleshed out news page with visual previews.

When someone can find a program that does all of that, and looks as good as these pictures below, and it does it all with a 50MB install size, then and ONLY then can they call the Battle.net bloatware or make any similar claims. Using nonsense like Pidgin as an example of anything is completely invalid as it only offers a fraction of the same functionality that the Battle.net launcher offers.

u2O2AMW.jpg

Uq32G3r.jpg

b8cRdIK.jpg

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I challenge anyone complaining about the install size of a whopping 222MB to find one single program in exsitence that does EVERYTHING that the Battle.net launcher does AND does it with an interface that is of equal qaulity, but only uses 1/4 the HDD space that people are claiming that it really needs.

It must be able to launch games, access your account for those games, offer two step verification security support for your account and games, allow you to change your connection region for mulitple games to multiple different locations world wide, automatically manage all updates, content downloads or other patches for multiple games in a single location, allow you to chat with people across multiple platforms (desktop, in game and mobile), have a RSS type feed with visual tiles, have an integrated store that allows you to purchase items, games, expansions for games and manage game time subscriptions. It must also include a fully fleshed out news page with visual previews.

When someone can find a program that does all of that, and looks as good as these pictures below, and it does it all with a 50MB install size, then and ONLY then can they call the Battle.net bloatware or make any similar claims. Using nonsense like Pidgin as an example of anything is completely invalid as it only offers a fraction of the same functionality that the Battle.net launcher offers.

u2O2AMW.jpg

Uq32G3r.jpg

b8cRdIK.jpg

Yeah, complaining about the battle.net application is just complaining for the sake of complaining and saying "woe is me, progress is happening and I don't like it". And you CAN just launch the game executable. You will waste at least 20 seconds loading up an authenticator code (seriously, get one. About 99% of account compromises are stopped by simply having the authenticator attached to the account) every time you start a game or disconnect from a game, and if you aren't on skype or teamspeak with your co-players then you can't tell them what happened (I just right-click their name and send them a message via battle.net while the game is reconnecting).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I challenge anyone complaining about the install size of a whopping 222MB to find one single program in exsitence that does EVERYTHING that the Battle.net launcher does AND does it with an interface that is of equal qaulity, but only uses 1/4 the HDD space that people are claiming that it really needs

Google Chrome is a 8.87 MB Download compressed which happens to be 85 when uncompressed. It can do all those things and more. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Google Chrome is a 8.87 MB Download compressed which happens to be 85 when uncompressed. It can do all those things and more. 

Sorry, but no it can't. In order to do anything beyond displaying information that is hosted someplace else, it requires addons, extensions and apps. Even with the full Google Chrome Store at your disposal, it can do nothing related to game management or cross platform communication with in game chat features. 

The uncompressed size of a file you download in no way represents the actual install size it will need on your HDD. The executable will then unpack dozens, hundreds or even thousands of more files. These days what you download, even if its compressed, is usually just a very small .exe file that then downloads the rest of the files it needs for whatever it is you are installing. 

Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but to test your bs claim of Chrome only being 85MB I did a clean install of Chrome and only added the Google Doc extension as its a basic function. With a clean install, only Google Docs and my favorites list, Chrome has 528MB install size on my HDD. More than double what Battle.net uses, and it does almost nothing of what Battle.net does.

HZW0tjO.png

Chrome, and every other browser, relies on all of the work and information to be created, stored and transmitted by someone else. There is no graphical user interface for Chrome. You get nothing but a blank white page the has Google's name across the center above a search field that is redundant since all browsers support searching from within the omnibar. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

u2O2AMW.jpgUq32G3r.jpgb8cRdIK.jpg
Ehh... The programs I listed in my "these programs can do the same for 1/4 the size" post does MORE than the launcher, and uses less space. I don't understand how you can say they do less. Launch games? Sure that's a 1kb shortcut. Change region? I could make a function that does that in like 10 lines of code. The fact that you even mention those things is an indication that you have no idea how big different functions in a program are. It's like pointing out the gear stick is made out of metal when someone asks why your car is so heavy.

Ehh... The programs I listed in my "these programs can do the same for 1/4 the size" post does MORE than the launcher, and uses less space. I don't understand how you can say they do less. Launch games? Sure that's a 1kb shortcut. Change region? I could make a function that does that in like 10 lines of code. The fact that you even mention those things is an indication that you have no idea how big different functions in a program are. It's like pointing out the gear stick is made out of metal when someone asks why your car is so heavy.

I am sorry but you do not seem to understand the real point in that case about development.

"Create a function that change region manually" ... wat

That's how you create a recipe for a disaster. 

Do you realize that when you have millions of users what you want as a developer is streamline and and make everything as accessible and easy for the majority of them, especially considering that there's a massive amount of tech illiterate that do not even know the difference between a shortcut and the game executable.

You want people to have solid, easy and reliable access to all your products, anything else is a potential revenue loss.

Wow, the amount of flak op is getting is ridiculous.

IMHO

We as an enthusiast community should be somewhat responsible to steer the industry in the right direction. We should be the ones demanding the best from the developer because the average consumer won't know any better. It is our job to be nit picky.

Just because we can tolerate it, doesn't mean we should.

Look at the bs we have to put up with now, day 1 dlc, day 1 patch, micro transactions etc. How going gold means absolutely nothing nowadays in game developments.

Regarding the launcher itself. A torrent client+browser+chat client can be done in smaller than 200mb. I have no doubt about that. I bet most of the bloat is coming from the graphics files and cache. Those fancy images and effects that is specific to the launcher does add up.

Just my humble 2 cents

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Even on a SSD, that is less than 12 cents of Harddrive space.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I am sorry but you do not seem to understand the real point in that case about development.

"Create a function that change region manually" ... wat

That's how you create a recipe for a disaster. 

Do you realize that when you have millions of users what you want as a developer is streamline and and make everything as accessible and easy for the majority of them, especially considering that there's a massive amount of tech illiterate that do not even know the difference between a shortcut and the game executable.

You want people to have solid, easy and reliable access to all your products, anything else is a potential revenue loss.

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about "manually". I mean I can write a function that changes region (just open a text file and change some text) in like 10 minutes of code.

I have no idea where you got that part about "manually" from. I was pointing out that such a feature in a program takes like a few bytes. The one I was replying to listed that as one of the features of the Blizzard launcher to justify the 200MB install size, when such a function only really takes up like 1KB at most.

Again, it's like saying your gear stick is made out of steel when someone asks why your car weights so much.

We as an enthusiast community should be somewhat responsible to steer the industry in the right direction. We should be the ones demanding the best from the developer because the average consumer won't know any better. It is our job to be nit picky.

Just because we can tolerate it, doesn't mean we should.

I completely agree. If a program is bloated, or runs too poorly then the developers have not done their job properly. Just look at Watch_Dogs. What if everyone was going around saying "if you can't make a better game yourself then you have no right to complain about the graphics or performance!"?

Regarding the launcher itself. A torrent client+browser+chat client can be done in smaller than 200mb. I have no doubt about that. I bet most of the bloat is coming from the graphics files and cache. Those fancy images and effects that is specific to the launcher does add up.

Hey! Don't bring logic and reason into the thread! If you can't program your own launcher that does the same things but takes up less space then you are not allowed to complain!

/sarcasm

Seriously though, it's nice to see I am not the only sane person here.

I can't believe people are defending bloat, and they are so extremely aggressive about it. They are reacting as if OP and I were calling their moms fat.

Google Chrome is one of the worst memory hogs out there. It uses up so much RAM.

I can't believe people are defending bloat, and they are so extremely aggressive about it. They are reacting as if OP and I were calling their moms fat.

I don't consider it bloat when it does stuff that I find extremely useful (no, I'm not writing a script that changes the region that my game clients connect to when some guy in Irvine, California has done it for me and packaged it in a nice application). I've been using it for over two years now, and I have not once wished it would go away.

I don't think that amount of space is worth getting mad about, if you ever run into problems just purchase a bigger harddrive or get over 200mb.

That's nothing when you take into consideration how cheap harddrive space is nowadays.

I don't consider it bloat when it does stuff that I find extremely useful (no, I'm not writing a script that changes the region that my game clients connect to when some guy in Irvine, California has done it for me and packaged it in a nice application). I've been using it for over two years now, and I have not once wished it would go away.

God dammit doesn't anyone read my posts? I am not saying "you should write a script that does it instead!". I am saying "that specific function in the Blizzard launcher only takes up like 1KB at most, so that's not the reason why it is so big".

I've said it before and I will say it again, that launcher probably wouldn't be bigger than 50MB if Blizzard cleaned up their code and removed some of the bloated effects. I am not saying they should remove any functions from their launcher at all. I am saying the launcher is unreasonably big for what functions it offers the users.

I don't think that amount of space is worth getting mad about, if you ever run into problems just purchase a bigger harddrive or get over 200mb.

That's nothing when you take into consideration how cheap harddrive space is nowadays.

The problem with that kind of thinking is that it seems like app programs thinks that way. Let's be generous and say Blizzard's launcher is twice as big as it needs to be (I'd say it's 400% bigger than it needs to be but whatever). If all programs and files were twice as big as they needed to be, I would need slightly above 4 terabytes of extra space. All of a sudden it's not "it's only 150MB of wasted space, no big deal" anymore.

The more things you have, the more important it gets that each one of those are optimized. It's the same deal with performance. Sure I might be okay if I got 1 unoptimized program running, but once I open up a bunch more the crappy overhead becomes bigger and bigger.

On top of that, it's their jobs to crate these programs. It's their jobs to make their programs as good as possible. If something is hugely bloated then they are not doing their jobs properly.

There is absolutely 0 reason to defend Blizzard for not making the launcher as good as they can. If Blizzard released an update tomorrow that cut the size of the launcher in half, wouldn't you be glad for the extra 100MB of space on your HDD? I would, because it shows that they care about their customers and it also allows me to full that room with other stuff.

You have not listed 1 single program that can do everything the launcher does. Let alone a single program that looks as good as it does. So until you can list just one single program that does is it all, you have no standing to complain about Battle.net's 200MB install size.

You have not listed 1 single program that can do everything the launcher does. Let alone a single program that looks as good as it does. So until you can list just one single program that does is it all, you have no standing to complain about Battle.net's 200MB install size.

You're right, I haven't mentioned 1 program that does all the things the launcher does. I have however listed multiple programs that when combined does all the things the launcher does, plus more.

Looks are subjective. I don't like overly flashy stuff. I prefer programs like PuTTY. Very simple and easy to use GUI.

And yes, I can in fact complain about something without having to do a similar product but better. Like I said before, I can complain about the performance in for example Watch_Dogs even though I haven't made a better game myself.

You're right, I haven't mentioned 1 program that does all the things the launcher does. I have however listed multiple programs that when combined does all the things the launcher does, plus more.

Looks are subjective. I don't like overly flashy stuff. I prefer programs like PuTTY. Very simple and easy to use GUI.

And yes, I can in fact complain about something without having to do a similar product but better. Like I said before, I can complain about the performance in for example Watch_Dogs even though I haven't made a better game myself.

Well, you have not even listed multiple programs that can do EVERYTHING the launcher does. So you complaint about the file size is still invalid. Also, you not liking "flashy stuff" does NOT make a program bloatware. That is 100% personal preference. Just because you want things to like simple, dumb downed, plain and ugly does not make a program that looks nice bloatware. 

I gave you the criteria above as to what programs have to do in order to even match the functionality of the Battle.net laucnher. Name programs, and what they do, that can do everything it does, or give it up already. Also, you do in fact need to use the Battle.net launcher before claiming you know exactly how it works and what other programs can do the same job with smaller install sizes.

Launching the games is not a just a matter of running a shortcut. The two step security verification system that Blizzard offers is integrated into both. I can use 1 authenticator to secure all of my games, and because of the launcher, I don't need to enter my user name, password or authenticator code into each of those games. I can enter it all into the launcher and it will communicate that information between each game I play. It is also set up to prompt you for that authenticator code if you try to log in from a different computer, and once every 7 days for basic security. 

But before they made the Battle.net laucnher, I would have to do that separately for each Blizzard game. Its obvious you have no clue how it works or all the benefits and features that it offers. So stop acting as if you know what you are talking about.

I have B.net and all games so this caught me. But after reading everything it's the most useless post ever. Why would anyone care if it uses few dozen MB of ram more and and 200MB of drive space. While it would be cool to have an option to use Blizzard games without launchers... I stopped caring. Since launcher does better and faster fixing updating and sorting storage than before while also adding news and other stuff is nice. What kind of toaster are you running? And are you seriously complaining about folder and file management for and online game, and launcher for those games that are widely popular?!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I have B.net and all games so this caught me. But after reading everything it's the most useless post ever. Why would anyone care if it uses few dozen MB of ram more and and 200MB of drive space. While it would be cool to have an option to use Blizzard games without launchers... I stopped caring. Since launcher does better and faster fixing updating and sorting storage than before while also adding news and other stuff is nice. What kind of toaster are you running? And are you seriously complaining about folder and file management for and online game, and launcher for those games that are widely popular?!

No, their justification is that programs like Pidgin, which are incapable of even handling everything the Battle.net chat feature can do, have super small file sizes.  They claim that any program that does anything without the smallest possible file size makes the program bloat ware. Yet they can provide no proof that the Battle.net launcher is bigger than it needs to be beyond the fact that they don't like having to use it and dislike programs that look good. Because making the UI look good is one of the reasons why its bloatware.

Its already been pointed out to them that they can still run the individual game .exe file without running the launcher, but they completely ignore that point.

I am still watching this thread and waiting for you to release your new and improved launcher written in 10 lines............
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I am still watching this thread and waiting for you to release your new and improved launcher written in 10 lines............

That's my biggest issue with this. You can say you don't like something, but don't claim that its something its not without being able to prove it. Making claims that it can do everything it currently does with only a less than 50MB install says is complete nonsense. His only justification for his claim is that there are other programs, none of which can do everything the Battle.net launcher does, that have smaller install sizes.

But he really proves that he does not in fact know what he is talking about when he starts using the excuse that he doesn't like things that have a nice visual UI. Its just his preference that he doesn't like how it looks, so he bashes it and labels it something that its not. The only thing it could be reasonably compared to is things like Origin or STEAM, yet it has a much smaller install size than either one of those programs. The authenticator and security features offered by the Battle.net launcher also far exceed anything that Valve or EA offer with their programs.

The only thing it doesn't have is an in game overlay, but they still offer most of the same features without needing an overlay. You can access the store from directly within the game and use the cross platform friend's list and chat feature. 

I'm also confused as to why this is still listed in the news section. There is no news of any kind in this entire thread.

That's my biggest issue with this. You can say you don't like something, but don't claim that its something its not without being able to prove it. Making claims that it can do everything it currently does with only a less than 50MB install says is complete nonsense. His only justification for his claim is that there are other programs, none of which can do everything the Battle.net launcher does, that have smaller install sizes.

But he really proves that he does not in fact know what he is talking about when he starts using the excuse that he doesn't like things that have a nice visual UI. Its just his preference that he doesn't like how it looks, so he bashes it and labels it something that its not. The only thing it could be reasonably compared to is things like Origin or STEAM, yet it has a much smaller install size than either one of those programs. The authenticator and security features offered by the Battle.net launcher also far exceed anything that Valve or EA offer with their programs.

The only thing it doesn't have is an in game overlay, but they still offer most of the same features without needing an overlay. You can access the store from directly within the game and use the cross platform friend's list and chat feature.

I'm also confused as to why this is still listed in the news section. There is no news of any kind in this entire thread.

Ya this entire thread was pointless. I have used the launcher since day 1 of beta and it was even an improvement then. If Blizzard could make it smaller with the same features im sure they would have. They definitely have the talent and staff. Im sure when they made it they never imagined someone would hate it because of the whopping 200mb size lmao.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Well, you have not even listed multiple programs that can do EVERYTHING the launcher does. So you complaint about the file size is still invalid. Also, you not liking "flashy stuff" does NOT make a program bloatware. That is 100% personal preference. Just because you want things to like simple, dumb downed, plain and ugly does not make a program that looks nice bloatware. 

Did I miss something? The only think I can think of that the programs I listed can't do that the launcher can is change region. The thing is that changing region is a function that takes up like 1KB because all it does is open a text file, replace one line of text with another line of text and then close the file stream. Launching the game is basically a shortcut and those take up 1KB as well. It seems like you don't quite understand my gear stick in car analogy.

Thanks for calling my preferences "dumb downed and ugly". I'd think adding a bunch of shiny effects would be "dumbing it down" but whatever. I am not calling it bloated because it has shiny effects. I am calling it bloated because you could make a program with similar or more features but that only uses ~1/4 of the computer resources.

I gave you the criteria above as to what programs have to do in order to even match the functionality of the Battle.net laucnher. Name programs, and what they do, that can do everything it does, or give it up already. Also, you do in fact need to use the Battle.net launcher before claiming you know exactly how it works and what other programs can do the same job with smaller install sizes.

I have named programs and what they do. You didn't accept those programs for some reason though. Here I'll list them again:

An FTP client only used for fetching files would be less than 500KB (based on the fact that PuTTY is 484KB and it supports far more than FTP)

A decent chat client like Pidgin takes up 17.9MB. It's not really fair to compare such a big client to the chat in the Blizzard client but I am going to give you a handicap.

RSS reader... I don't actually have one on computer so I looked at the RSS reader on my phone instead. Pulse takes up 15MB.

Last but not least the store. I think it is pretty reasonable to say that it shouldn't take up 33,4MB but let's say it does. I would be surprised if it needed to take up more than 15MB I mean, the entire Android AOSP browser takes up like 30MB, and that a full blown Webkit browser with support for HTML5 and a bunch of other things.

Changing region is like I said, open a text file, replace one line of text and then close the text file. Very very simple task. Takes up next to no space (I'd say maybe 1KB). Want a bit more specific? Open the file in a+ mode, use fseek() to put the pointer at the correct line, use fwrite() to overwrite the line, close with fclose().

Launching the program is just a shortcut. The standard Windows shortcut is slightly over 1KB but that's actually far bigger than what it has to be if you're writing it as a function for a program (where you can skip all the meta data).

If I missed some function then feel free to point it out and I'll tell you how much space that should take up.

So yeah... The other 150MB are there because of unoptimized code and a bunch of shiny effects.

Launching the games is not a just a matter of running a shortcut. The two step security verification system that Blizzard offers is integrated into both. I can use 1 authenticator to secure all of my games, and because of the launcher, I don't need to enter my user name, password or authenticator code into each of those games. I can enter it all into the launcher and it will communicate that information between each game I play. It is also set up to prompt you for that authenticator code if you try to log in from a different computer, and once every 7 days for basic security.

I can explain how that works for you. What it does is that the launcher saves your username, password and verification code, and then passes those along as arguments when the game launches. The code for handling the authentication and all that is on Blizzard's server, so all the client has to do is basically save 3 text strings, and prompt the user. Even if you add in a bunch of extra stuff like authentication for the server it still shouldn't take up more than let's say 1MB (and that would be really really bloated). I mean, PuTTY can do all this and that takes up 484KB. The other 500KB is for the cert. My SSL certificate is 676 bytes. Not kilobytes, but bytes.

If the entire authentication process is really really bloated I'd say it takes up 5MB.

No, their justification is that programs like Pidgin, which are incapable of even handling everything the Battle.net chat feature can do, have super small file sizes.  They claim that any program that does anything without the smallest possible file size makes the program bloat ware. Yet they can provide no proof that the Battle.net launcher is bigger than it needs to be beyond the fact that they don't like having to use it and dislike programs that look good. Because making the UI look good is one of the reasons why its bloatware.

Its already been pointed out to them that they can still run the individual game .exe file without running the launcher, but they completely ignore that point.

What features does Pidgin lack that the Blizzard chat has? I can many plenty that Pidgin has that the Blizzard one don't (like supporting 15 different chat networks).

Nice strawman there.

I didn't ignore it. I answered with "I would launch all my games without using Steam if I could". I think all games should have the option to be started without the launcher. I think that's a very good way to handling things.

Blizzard deserves a thumbs up for that.

Eh... What? Is that a strawman argument?

I never, ever, claimed that I could duplicate the entire launcher with 10 lines of code. I was referring to the function of changing region.

This and that looks are subjective are the only two things I have agreed with you on in the entire thread. It should be in general.

On a side note, want to know what my biggest issues with your posts are? That you keep using "if you can't do it better yourself then don't complain" as an argument. That is bullshit. I don't have to write, direct and publish a higher grossing film than the Phantom Menace to say it is bad. I don't have to sing better than Rebecca Black to say she her song Friday was bad. I don't have to write a better launcher than Blizzard to say it is bloated. It's nothing more than an ad hominem attack.

If you instead replied with "yeah the effects probably takes up quite a lot, but it makes the launcher look good" then I would say "fair enough". But you keep telling me I should "get off the Internet", that I should write a better launcher if I want to complain, saying that I have no clue what I am talking about and so on.

I really like the launcher, lets me chat to friends no matter what Blizzard game either of us are on and i don't even need an active sub so i can chat when taking breaks between tiers :) 

This thread is still going? The salt is real.

Salt-Chips1.jpg

The fact that everyone in this thread is getting so riled up over this is fucking hilarious, it's 200MB get over it.