Blizzard forces 200MB of bloatware to start-up games.

LOST TALE

Yes there is. So you obviously have no clue what the launcher does. The launcher was first launched when Blizzard created their integrated ecosystem. With a person's BattleTag you can chat with them from with in game, across ALL Blizzard games, chat with them via the Battle.net laucnher friends list while their are either in game or not in game and use the Battle.net mobile app to do the same thing.

I can be watching Netflix and chat with my friend who is playing WoW or D3 all from the Battle.net launcher. So stop complaining about and commenting on something that you clearly have no idea how it functions.

Have you used the previous SC2 launcher?

I havent logged in yet, maybe a chat option will pop.

SC2 has shit across 3 distinct folder locations, its just stupid.

The mods you download dont even have a folder named after them, just code numbers (theyre probably random too)

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Have you used the previous SC2 launcher?

I havent logged in yet, maybe a chat option will pop.

I am talking about the new launcher and schooling you on the reasons why its a larger file size than the old launchers. Click the icon for your friends list in the top right corner of the Battle.net launcher, and take the time to look up what how the BattleTag system works. You will be able to chat with your Battle.net BattleTag friends, regardless of what game they are playing.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

The fact that it has links that send you into your default web browser.

lol.

and that it added 0 functionality, except news tab ( still had full patch notes before)

I don't recall being able to use the store feature. It is completely integrated into the launcher to allow to buy/upgrade subs/items/etc. with out going into a browser (I know its not that important, but whether you use it or not that's added functionality), IIRC it also handles all the authentication if you between games so you only have to authenticate the launcher to login to any of your bliz games.

tmanage.png

Ummmm...

Battle.net launcher is still smaller than Steam/Origin/uPlay, and they all basically do the same thing

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

I don't recall being able to use the store feature. It is completely integrated into the launcher to allow to buy/upgrade subs/items/etc. with out going into a browser (I know its not that important, but whether you use it or not that's added functionality), IIRC it also handles all the authentication if you between games so you only have to authenticate the launcher to login to any of your bliz games.

I only have 1 blizz game, and this has gotten only disadvantage.

They wouldnt even give the option not to use it.

And with every single game, the bloatware on the computer adds up.

Witth eveyr game creeating like 5 folders.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

for me its uses %.1 CPU and 200Mb is nothing that is like 4 flac songs. how is this even a problem? 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I remember when Origin was announced, and then I got pissed because I knew that every publisher was going this route.  I hated the thought of having all this bloatware.

And then I realized we are in the 2010's, and I have a system with 32 GB of RAM.  So yea, we are no longer in the era of requiring a boot-disk to free-up that extra tiny bit of RAM for DOOM.

I remember @Slick made a similar comment on the WAN Show, about hating all this "bloat"... something that is actually non-existent.

You lost me at 32 GB of RAM in 2010.

-------

Current Rig

-------

OMG 200MG????? If you live in a cave and your computer is made with mud and rocks this might be an issue.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

You lost me at 32 GB of RAM in 2010.

I was that lunatic with 24gb on 1366 :P and now 16gb on 1155. YAAAAY.

I only have 1 blizz game, and this has gotten only disadvantage.

They wouldnt even give the option not to use it.

I agree that's kinda silly, but that doesn't automatically make it bloatware.

And with every single game, the bloatware on the computer adds up.

Witth eveyr game creeating like 5 folders.

I don't understand what your saying here? I have one folder for the launcher and 1 for every game labelled something like Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, etc. 

tmanage.png

Ummmm...

Battle.net launcher is still smaller than Steam/Origin/uPlay, and they all basically do the same thing

it used to be 4 MB, they rmeoved that option, because fuck options. idiots.

I agree that's kinda silly, but that doesn't automatically make it bloatware.

I don't understand what your saying here? I have one folder for the launcher and 1 for every game labelled something like Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, etc. 

You clearly dont know starcraft 2 has atleast 3 folders

Are you seriously making a topic over this? Go cry in a corner or something but atleast don't annoy us with it. The battlenet launcher is perfectly fine, I wouldn't care even if it took 1GB of ram. I'm happy they made the launcher, atleast updates all my blizzard games without worrying.

for me its uses %.1 CPU and 200Mb is nothing that is like 4 flac songs. how is this even a problem?

no it only used 25% while installation. its info.

Are you seriously making a topic over this? Go cry in a corner or something but atleast don't annoy us with it. The battlenet launcher is perfectly fine, I wouldn't care even if it took 1GB of ram. I'm happy they made the launcher, atleast updates all my blizzard games without worrying.

Would you like 20 games to have multi-game launchers for 80 games? 60 you dont have.

that would be 20x200Mb of extra space and you ge tno options.

Of course this is news. when game sused ot have 1 folder and an exe file.

Would you like 20 games to have multi-game launchers for 80 games? 60 you dont have.

What? I thought we were only talking about the battlenet launcher. I don't even notice it's on with its 50mb of usage

What? I thought we were only talking about the battlenet launcher. I don't even notice it's on with its 50mb of usage

of  dead storage space, like HDD.

of  dead storage space, like HDD.

So this is about a bit of storage space?

Well this is a sad day. Seems like people are alright with bloat just because "you got memory to spare!".

200MB for a launcher is waaaay too much. I have no idea how a launch could take up even 50MB. Maybe I am just getting old, but I liked it better back when I could just launch a game without having to launch another program (or sometimes even two other programs) to play the game. It is so much faster. Nowadays when I want to play a game it first starts steam, then it might start another launcher like Uplay, and then the game starts to load. Each one of them has to connect to some terribly slow online authentication as well. It takes like 2 minutes before the game even starts to load.

I don't even get why they have to be running if the game is already launched. Why do I have to have a bunch of launchers running in the background when I play the game? I wish people would be less tolerant towards this kind of bullshit. I think the world would be a better place that way.

You look... familiar.

Damn three folders, my life would be ruined if there were two folders.

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

How would that change then if there was no launcher??? All the other games are 1 folder anyways.

I like the blizzard launcher. For those who have more than one blizzard game it is a nice piece of software.

Yeah, they could of just not forced it upon everyone.

Would of costed less then adding mod tools for any game or enabling features that already exist.

Well this is a sad day. Seems like people are alright with bloat just because "you got memory to spare!".

200MB for a launcher is waaaay too much. I have no idea how a launch could take up even 50MB. Maybe I am just getting old, but I liked it better back when I could just launch a game without having to launch another program (or sometimes even two other programs) to play the game. It is so much faster. Nowadays when I want to play a game it first starts steam, then it might start another launcher like Uplay, and then the game starts to load. Each one of them has to connect to some terribly slow online authentication as well. It takes like 2 minutes before the game even starts to load.

I don't even get why they have to be running if the game is already launched. Why do I have to have a bunch of launchers running in the background when I play the game? I wish people would be less tolerant towards this kind of bullshit. I think the world would be a better place that way.

You look... familiar.

So... do you... 

Anyways, it's just 200MB and makes a lot much easier. I've got it running in the background 24/7, and if I wanted to play any game I just go to my taskbar and click one of the four games I want to play, without having to worry about updates etc because this all gets done in the background.

Oh not to mention I can also read the blizzard news, which I like

ya and? those 20 games can be like 5-50 GB per game so 200 MB is nothing. I have over 1 TB of steam games installed that I don't even play so 200MB is a joke. I also have all my songs in flac AND mp3 (thats like 200GB) and 1 TB of anime and 1 TB of movies. so when I see a launcher that is 200 MB I could not even care.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

ya and? those 20 games can be like 5-50 GB per game so 200 MB is nothing. I have over 1 TB of steam games installed that I don't even play so 200MB is a joke. I also have all my songs in flac AND mp3 (thats like 200GB) and 1 TB of anime and 1 TB of movies. so when I see a launcher that is 200 MB I could not even care.

Same. I've installed all my steam games, but in my case that's only like 500-600 GB, but I don't even play 70% of those games.

You look... familiar.

2 minutes? How slow is your connection? I can load Steam, Origin, Uplay, or Battle.net and have a game running in much less than a minute (barring patches). I'd rather have multi-game launchers/downloaders then have to navigate a website, download a big installer, then install the game. With these services you hit download and it installs while downloading, no extra steps. Beyond that not having them would make things a huge mess. You'd need accounts for EVERY publisher and have to rely on them keeping the installers up for download.