How hard is it to screw up building a pc?

HJX2

I was incredibly worried my first build, but really, I laid all the parts out on my desk and looked at it. I watched a ton of videos (even before discovering Linus) and just put it together like I was building lego's way back when. It's nothing to be worried about, seriously, just watch videos and get a feel for how it's going to go together. 

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

Take extra precautions if you are worried about building one OP.  Buy an anti-static wrist strap on the cheap.  Also when building it take it slow and steady as slow and steady wins the race sometimes.  Uhmmmm refer to videos, manuals that come with your pc hardware and more as you build it and don't say "**** it" and be impatient and have it cause you to do something stupid.  I also have to say don't be afraid to use some force putting some hardware in place as despite what someone else said before getting things right sometimes requires a little more elbow grease to get the part seated properly. Lastly the thing that annoys me the most is the front panel connection process.  Oh the horror.  It hurts my hands tremendously to connect the case wires for various things to this.  It is easily the most time consuming thing for me when putting a pc together now.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

It's really hard to screw up your build, but it's wayyy too easy to make tiny mistakes.

I think I forgot to put in the standoffs on the motherboard tray...  :unsure:

Not really sure what you mean. All I was saying is if a standoff is in the wrong place, there is nowhere to even thread that corresponding screw into (even if you tried to use the wrong screw). Someone building a computer would notice if there is just a hole under the mobo where a screw is supposed to go. The mobo would then need to be powered.

If there are 9 screw holes holes on an ATX mobo and only 8 have a place to thread in a screw into, obviously something is not right.

Of course the important thing is that a misplaced standoff can most definitely short the board. The part that gets me is someone would have to not care/notice that a screw hole had nothing under it and then fire it up. I'm sure it has happened plenty of times though.

OP, personally I found mounting the cooler and organizing the cables to be the most time consuming. An extra set of hands would have made the cooler-mounting a snap, and a modular PSU would have made the wiring much much easier because you only have to manage the wires you actually use. Go for it!

My point is, you could easily just assume you screwed in all the screws as there doesn't have to buy an extra screw in plain sight (it could be amongst a whole bunch of other screws).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

My point is, you could easily just assume you screwed in all the screws as there doesn't have to buy an extra screw in plain sight (it could be amongst a whole bunch of other screws).

I see what your saying now, makes sense.

building a computer really does look harder than it is, Paul from newegg did a VERY good how to guide like 3 years ago its a little outdated but the principle and what to do has not really changed

Thats the videos I started out on, helped me a lot

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

Just do not do a lot of what this person does and you should be fine..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM7FoiieMms&list=UUQMEms3zgX-dmS2mttSJEYw

No freaking way.

NOT THE CARPET WOMAN!

OH GOD SO MUCH THERMAL PASTE

NO ONE EVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS

IF YOU VALUE YOUR PARTS.

I ALSO THINK SHE'S A HIPPY.. MAN...?

O_O

Taken from Comments

-working on carpet

-mITX mobo on a mid-tower(thank god you didn't get the 900D)

-1 ton of thermal paste on the cpu

- giant cpu cooler on a cpu that is cool and CAN'T be overclocked

-cable management non-existent on a perfect cable management chassis

-1500w power supply on a rig that can't use more than 450w(this is the most stupid thing you've done in this video)

No freaking way.

NOT THE CARPET WOMAN!

OH GOD SO MUCH THERMAL PASTE

NO ONE EVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS

IF YOU VALUE YOUR PARTS.

I ALSO THINK SHE'S A HIPPY.. MAN...?

O_O

Taken from Comments

The carpet plus JUST SOCKS ON HER FEET!! 

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

i have a carpet floor. i will be working on a wooden desk and have an anti shock strap.

is the carpet still of concern? i can always work in the kitchen i guess if carpet is a no go...

Intel i5 4690K, Asus GTX 970 STRIX, Asus Z97-PRO Gamer, DeepCool Assassin, Ares 16gb ram, Fractal R4, FSP Aurum Pro 1000W PSU, Samsung 840 evo 250gb, WD Green 2TB.

i have a carpet floor. i will be working on a wooden desk and have an anti shock strap.

is the carpet still of concern? i can always work in the kitchen i guess if carpet is a no go...

I have worked on carpet with no issue, for me its the socks + carpet. Socks cause a lot of static most times with carpets

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

Carpet should be fine I believe if you have an antistatic wriststrap while you're working on the desk.

Unless you're a total dunce with tech, it's really hard to screw something up that's fatal.

signatures are the illuminati #mkultragotcha

Well putting the CPU in for the first time might be scary, but other things are easy. Just dont drop that hard drive!

Like when I dropped my Core 2 Quad putting thermal paste on it... It still works today but I practically sh*t myself...

Also, I've dropped my Seagate laptop drive so many times and it just keeps on going. Hard drives these days are much better than they used to be.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

How To Build a Computer:

I'm almost 32% sure you won't get your dick stuck in a toaster.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

the first pc i put together is bumpt into the socket with the cpu and the pins where bend(mobo wrecked), cause i tried putting in the cpu while the mobo was already in the case, so make sure you have anough room to do the delicate jobs with ease

so my pro tip: put the cpu in when the mobo is out of the case

Blackhole:  Intel i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | Corsair H80i | MSI Z77 Mpower | Geforce GTX 780 TI  | 16 gb Kingston HyperX Predator 4x4gb @1866Mhz | Samsung 840 evo 250GB ssd | WD 2TB Black WD 1 TB blue | Corsair AX860 860-watts | Coolermast Cosmos SE

back up:  Intel i5 2500 @ stockclock   | MSI p67a-gd55 | 2 x MSI GTX 660 TI in SLI  | 8gb  - Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz 2x2 gb and Corsair Dominator 2x2 gb 1600Mhz | WD 1TB Black | OCZ 600 watt

You have to literally be mentally impaired to screw up building a computer. You have to wrench on your motherboard with your hands, you have to be in constant contact with a running Van De Graff generator in your bedroom, take a hammer to that PSU, make sure the golden triangle is going the other way, put toothpaste between your CPU and cooler and most importantly you have to wail that hard drive so hard against a wall.

If you don't do any of these things you will be fine.

Building a PC is way, way, WAY easier than most people think it is. All it requires is a sliver of common sense and patience. If you need any assistance, well, that's exactly why we're here.  :)

Good luck!

i might have done the toothpaste thing........ but it works fine!!

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

The screw up usually is minor and sometimes keeps you from starting up. Mainly,

* Not pre-measuring components, a video card that's too long, even if advertised to be a particular length the builder forgets to account for the power cords or another component (drive) bumping up against it

* Heat sinks which again advertise a specific dimension but the builder forgets that the side panel has a support beam/bar directly over it,

* Case power/audio/USB cables don't reach to that motherboards pins

* Case with the miss-aligned motherboard stand off holes where everything ends up tweaked and nothing fits right

* Power cords that don't reach or don't have the right plugs (mainly needing SATA and there's only molex or vice versa).

* Other mount point screw holes not lining up and causing secondary issues with other components like side panel not closing.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

It's easy to do it badly and hard to do it well. Like when I got my nice Coolermaster case, Enermax fans, Hyper 212 Evo, 250gb Samsung EVO and a R9 280X, nice QX 2710 120Hz 27" monitor - put it all together and, what do you know, it works great.

Then I look at the GPU temps in MSI Afterburner and it's cooking in there, it's so hot it's throttling itself and screwing up my fps. And then I proceed to just underclock it and forget about it for a year (yeah I procrastinate).

Yesterday I realised that the fans on the front were pulling air in... and the exhaust fan was... pulling nice hot dusty PSU/floor air directly into my case and the heat was pooling around my expensive 280X resulting in temps of 94 degrees. 

Unless you do something really stupid, its really hard. The easiest part to screw up in is when you put in the cpu and as long as you have steady hands, its pretty easy. Just follow common sense and don't force anything. Never force anything. 

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

It is very easy to screw up a PC build for a new builder. Just with plain old static electricity you don't even have to plug anything in.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

It's easy to do it badly and hard to do it well. Like when I got my nice Coolermaster case, Enermax fans, Hyper 212 Evo, 250gb Samsung EVO and a R9 280X, nice QX 2710 120Hz 27" monitor - put it all together and, what do you know, it works great.

Then I look at the GPU temps in MSI Afterburner and it's cooking in there, it's so hot it's throttling itself and screwing up my fps. And then I proceed to just underclock it and forget about it for a year (yeah I procrastinate).

Yesterday I realised that the fans on the front were pulling air in... and the exhaust fan was... pulling nice hot dusty PSU/floor air directly into my case and the heat was pooling around my expensive 280X resulting in temps of 94 degrees. 

you know what they say, if it works perfectly the first time you've done something wrong :P

some things are pretty hard to screw up, others like static electricity or pushing the cpu in place is pretty easy if you don't know what you're doing

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Unless you do something really stupid, its really hard. The easiest part to screw up in is when you put in the cpu and as long as you have steady hands, its pretty easy. Just follow common sense and don't force anything. Never force anything. 

This is true.

If you have a basic knowledge on what your doing, take your time, and don't rush, you will have no problems.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just dont drop that thun thun thun

lol, (btw plz answer have you oced ur cpu)

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

The hardest part for me was organizing things, knowing where to start etc. The scariest part is putting your cpu in for the first time, I still do it with one hand gripping my other wrist to steady it.

It's basically just, go slow, don't force things, don't forget the cpu cooler, don't forget to plug things in, don't pinch wires between metal, etc.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs