How hard is it to screw up building a pc?

HJX2

Hardest thing when building my PC was installing the h100i tbh, you have to hold it in place inside the case and screw it in outside the case as my case C70 can take dual 140m the 120 h100i has to sit in the middle.

The most important thing you MUST remember is if you drop a screw dont even plug the power into the PSU before you find that screw.

you dont know if it will short the mobo or god forbid be in the PSU which could short and send your 12v rail into the CPU.

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Not very if you have a brain. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

It's quite hard to screw up, as long as you don't force any connectors in and use compatible parts. PCPartPicker is great site which lets you pick parts for a PC (duh) and has a comparability filter which only lists compatible parts. And there are some great tutorials out there on how to build one, including on Linus's channel.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

It is pretty hard to mess up building a PC unless you are rushing it. Give yourself adequate amount of time to build and go through the provided instructions thoroughly and you should be fine. My first build took me half a day to complete which was long imo but it ended up booting successfully. If you have any issues with your build such as booting up, feel free to post a thread in Troubleshooting

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

im also new to building, only really made 2/3. (just added stuff to a prebuilt, and made a friend a facebook machine with room anough for all infinity of cat photos)

i havent actually made my won, but i see it as really simple. growing up with them all around me.

im sure you'll do great! :D

if you think you fudged up, just.... take it out and start over, unless something is clearly BROKEN, or isnt compatible, its near impossible you cant just, unplug and re-plug.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

watching youtube videos of people building really helps trust me

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

My PC build was pretty easy. I did mess up the front panels a little but it's functioning fine. (Installing my i5 was super easy, just picked it by the sides and plopped it in. I heard no popping sound.)

Just need a graphics card and rewire the build as I was rushing to turn it on. 

I'll be rewiring when I install the graphics card.

Edit: Just rewired the case. Doesn't look as neat but hey! I can close my sidepanel and there's enough clearance for something like a Gigabyte Windforce.

Don't have to see that unsightly mess.

Look it up, there's some great guides on youtube. Just be wary of these 3 things:

1. Put in the CPU WITH NO PRESSURE, just drop it.

2. The lever on the CPU socket will require pressure, don't worry.

3. I wouldn't recommend building it on carpet, if you do, bye bye expensive components.... (Possibly)