Report: Xbox One will be region-locked

The Xbox One will be region-locked, meaning all software must match the region of the console itself, Microsoft confirmed to Digital Trends. This means a US Xbox One won't be able to play games imported from Europe or Japan, for example.

"Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One."

Source : http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/26/report-xbox-one-will-be-region-locked/

What you think of this?Does region free console important to  you?

ugh, this console is becoming a less and less attractive purchase :(

I find region locking really obnoxious since it can prevent you from playing imported games.

When I had a PS3, there was a chance the latest installment (at the time) of one my favorite game franchises would not be localized to North America. I ordered it off Play-asia and was able to play it (albeit without any idea what was going on) because the PS3 did not have any region protection.

xbox doesn't really have any exclusive franchises that I care about,so this doesn't matter to me.

but generally I hate all region locking.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I find region locking really obnoxious since it can prevent you from playing imported games.

When I had a PS3, there was a chance the latest installment (at the time) of one my favorite game franchises would not be localized to North America. I ordered it off Play-asia and was able to play it (albeit without any idea what was going on) because the PS3 did not have any region protection.

So many people did this in Australia!

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

All Hail Queen Linus!

But yeah, this sucks for importing games, hopefully the push for digital media will make this a non issue.

coming from xbox before i started PC gaming i prefer'd the xbox but b the sounds of it the PS4 is going to be loads better especially if they nail down backwards compatibility witch xbox doesn't seem to be trying to accomplish although i won't be buying any until they at least half in price until then i will look forward to games made for PC and ported down and the new xbox controller.

• 3 weeks later...

On Twitter, Microsoft pretty much say that your console is locked to regions of purchase. It ID's the location via IP address.

If you use the console in a region not supported to have XBox One (like a country where the console isn't out yet), or you play a game that is not out in the country you are in yet. The console will lock itself or the game. Microsoft suggests: "You'll be able to play when you return home" talking on twitter about a concerning person on taking it with him when traveling.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/14/4429218/xbox-one-may-not-work-in-unsupported-countries

They are literally killing them selves, its like the new kurt cobain story

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I really do not understand the logic behind some of the choices made.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

why do they do these things? lol is microsoft's spokesperson working for sony? like wth lol

Why exactly are Microsoft doing this to themselves. It seems to be getting worse and worse every time I hear about the XBone. Maybe Microsoft are doing this just to revoke and go back to the XBox 360 policies so it looks like they are really nice or something or they will just stay with these policies and get awful sales. There is also apparently a shortage of the sDRAM that the new XBone is using which is never good.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Haven't you heard ? They addressed this issues they said all you have to do is get a 360

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Haven't you heard ? They addressed this issues they said all you have to do is get a 360

I treat that as ms arrogance

Merged.

that is not a major issue

not many people take their xbox around the world with them

There are other issues regarding this, though. Lots of people move countries. The main question is why? There's no logic behind something like this, other than preventing international console sales and restricting console prices in certain markets (which is hardly a boon).

This was actually reported much earlier.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/25422-xbox-one-coming-to-asia-late-2014/

Region specific Xbox One doesn't work in asia.

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Queen Linus? :P

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Well this was bound to be the case. Because the DRM is locking it to the console, and the discs are just being data mules, as all games will stored on the HD....

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

arggggggg damn it seems the Caribbean gets nothing  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))