Hardware cots WAY more outside US... Why?

pipnina

I remember when Haswell launched and the 4770k was the same price in $ as it was in £ which is at least 50% more expensive.

But NOW it buggs me. I was looking at the original Nvidia Shield and it costs £180... and $190... That measn the UK version cost the equivalent of $298... $298! I could buy 70% of a PS4 for that... not that i'd want one. (The PS4 is also more expensive over here BTW)

I know other countries have way worse symptoms of this disease, but it really ticks me off. I'm paying so much more than people in america for the same thing.

I just wanna kno Y! Import taxes are not that high over here!

~pipnina

Because the UK is a small island. We pay VAT as well as import duties and other taxes on all imports. Oil based fuels also cost more here. All of that contributes to a higher price for the consumer.

Import taxes and point of sale tax

e.g: in the UK, there is a 10-20% import tax on luxuries and a further 20% value added tax

But we pay for being in a more civilised country :P

Compatible with Windows 95

Yeah, it's all to do with import taxes and VAT, sadly. It gets bad enough that there are occasions where it's actually cheaper to have the hardware shipped over from the US.

Just another incentive for us Brits to make sure our systems are well-optimised price/performance wise, I suppose. :P

A GPU costs $500 on release and 500€ on release, seen that too many times. But people in europe earn 2000€ a month where people in the US earn $2000 a month for the same work, if they even have a job.

who cares...

Well, I guess the answer to this is F**k Eeconomics, it's too hard.

Welcome to Europe, the magical place where 1$ = 1euro thanks to import taxes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because we are awesome we deserve to get things cheaper

Import taxes and point of sale tax

e.g: in the UK, there is a 10-20% import tax on luxuries and a further 20% value added tax

But we pay for being in a more civilised country :P

So civilized that you can't even spell civilized correctly. Trollfail.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nope, civilised is spelt with an S, not a Z in the UK, as are almost anything with a similar application of S. It's the US attempting to form their own language.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

That's the English spelling, you mug.

Well, I'm sorry for the typo, Mr. "OH SHIT, THE GOVERNMENT ARE TRYING TO KILL US ALL"

But I do believe that that is the English spelling..

The reason UK is annoying

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Its spelled correctly :

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=civilised&l=1

Peace!

Anyways, yes, The reasons are taxes. Let me give you sn example.

I bought an ipad Mini couple of months after its release for 290€. In the american apple store yo may find it for USD299.

290 Euros =
385.13885 U.S. dollars

that's the direct conversion from 290 euros to dollars

299 × 1.21 =

USD299 + Spain taxes (21%) give you USD361, add a benefit, shipping etc and you get the 385USD we pay.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Well, I'm sorry for the typo, Mr. "OH SHIT, THE GOVERNMENT ARE TRYING TO KILL US ALL"

But I do believe that that is the English spelling..

That's the English spelling, you mug.

Nope, civilised is spelt with an S, not a Z in the UK, as are almost anything with a similar application of S. It's the US attempting to form their own language.

Not according to my google. Besides when spoken it's obviously an Z not an S sound.

https://www.google.com/search?q=civilized&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Not according to my google. Besides when spoked it's obviously an Z not an S sound.

https://www.google.com/search?q=civilized&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

It's just like you say 'Optimized' and we say 'Optimised'

Only one is what the 'civilised' world uses

Top lol

It's just like you say 'Optimized' and we say 'Optimised'

Only one is what the 'civilised' world uses

Top lol

I think I hear the 1940's calling.

I think I hear the 1940's calling.

How can a decade pick up the phone? What wizardry is this?

Besides when spoken it's obviously an Z not an S sound.

Based on the american pronunciation system, perhaps. But for the rest of us, it is indeed an S sound. Remember the 'zed' vs 'zee' argument?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Either way, instead of taxing the citizens like this. Why not just close the effin loopholes that let Google, Amazon and Starbucks avoid billions of £ of corporation tax every year.

*sigh*

Based on the american pronunciation system, perhaps. But for the rest of us, it is indeed an S sound. Remember the 'zed' vs 'zee' argument?

Both "zee" and "zed" start with a zee sound, which is more of a buzzing sound, as opposed to an S sound which is a hiss.

And perhaps if the governments of the world would stop overtaxing things to pay for lazy people's "free"(meaning paid for by people who actually work) healthcare and other shit, things wouldn't be so expensive!

Both "zee" and "zed" start with a zee sound, which is more of a buzzing sound, as opposed to an S sound which is a hiss.

And perhaps if the governments of the world would stop overtaxing things to pay for lazy people's "free"(meaning paid for by people who actually work) healthcare and other shit, things wouldn't be so expensive!

This started as a thread about import tax and hardware, take ur language drivel somewhere people care like 9gag or whatever.

========================================================================================================

What I don't get is why AMD CPUs are more expensive here since they're manufactured in Globalfoundries' Dresden facility.

Cost of the new fab-lab?

It might still be abroad and therefore imported to the countries we live in. just a throught.

Everybody sees things differently; you should perhaps take a devil's advocate POV next time. You are stating these things like it's a hard fact, which it is not.

And thank you for interjecting politics where it clearly does not belong... again! <_<

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.