People please stop telling people not to get the 4790K for gaming

With shit like this going on in an openworld MMO with a persistent world, you will need more than just a powerful gpu and mantle. Not to mention fps boarding, etc. You're gonna need a powerful cpu with multi threading to back up what they are going to do.

Maybe but if somebody cannot afford one in their budget they will just have to play Star Citizen on medium

The fact is that 99% of games run at 100% speed on the i5 so it makes no sense to spend money that could be spend on GPU or other things in a rig built to budget

if you can afford the i7, obviously it makes sense, but not at the cost of a shit rig in the rest of the spec

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

lol.

we only tell people not to get the i7 because it might not fit in with their budget. why the hell would you get an i7 paired with a GTX 760? might aswell get an i5 and spend more money on a graphics card. e.g GTX 770/780.

i5 is aimed at gaming.

i7 is aimed at rendering, editing, productivity etc.

"omg im gonna get an i7 just so i can overclock it better and get better performance than an i5 at gaming!"

thats like me buying a damn quadro rather than a GeForce series card for gaming just because it has more cuda cores and more vram

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

With shit like this going on in an openworld MMO with a persistent world, you will need more than just a powerful gpu and mantle. Not to mention fps boarding, etc. You're gonna need a powerful cpu with multi threading to back up what they are going to do.

I question the skill of those developers. I'm betting the spline count is obnoxious to warrant the slow performance they're claiming. It's beautiful. but there are many ways of achieving the same result, some far more efficient than others.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I question the skill of those developers. I'm betting the spline count is obnoxious to warrant the slow performance they're claiming. It's beautiful. but there are many ways of achieving the same result, some far more efficient than others.

We wont know until it releases. They've stated they're optimising for hyper-threading, and that no single rig currently available will be capable of playing the full release on maximum graphics settings.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The only thing the i5 won't give you is "i7 swag" (and a better performance in video editing/rendering). For gaming, an i7 is nice, but by no means necessary and only makes sense if you do more than just gaming with it. So if you're on a budget and for a gaming pc you have to choose between an i7 and a better graphics card it makes no sense to recommend an i7.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is true of Devil's Canyon but not of the previous CPUs. i7 4770k vs i5 4670k wasn't a practical step for gamers to take because of the nearly identical clock speeds (.1GHz difference).

Also the cheaper i5 will give perfectly good performance when combined with a good GPU and generally is more PRACTICAL for a gaming build, even if the i7 is at a higher clock.

Git Gud.

Around the forums I have noticed a lot of people who tell people not to get the i7 4790K for gaming because the i5 4690K is cheaper and preforms the same. NOT TRUE. Yes it is  cheaper but the 4790K will outperform the 4690K since it has a higher clock speed. Then they to buy a CPU cooler and over clock the 4690K so it preforms the same or slightly better then the 4790K. Sure you could do that, but with the money you spent on the cooler you could of almost bought a 4790K it it will preform the same or just slightly worse then the over clocked 4690K. Then it the the future you can buy a CPU cooler for the 4790K and over clock it and it will destroy the 4690K. Plus you have to remember the over clocking is not guaranteed you might not be able to get your chip up to the clock speed you want. If you told a first time builder not to get the 4790K and get the 4690K and over clock it and they did that and their chip wouldn't overclock to the speed they wanted they would be mad. So please stop telling people not to get the 4790K.

If you're doing purely gaming, then there's no point getting a 4790K over the 4690K. You could invest that saved $120 and put it towards a much better GPU.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

@Cokeman

Hrmm, in the past 20 minutes you get this kind of response. Makes you kind of want to rethink what you said don't you?

I would never buy an i7 myself unless I was editing/rendering, so why would I suggest one to other people if they are in the same boat as me?

I wouldn't suggest something to someone that I wouldn't do. That would be stupid. Do you have an i7? Have you tested an i7 versus an i5 clocked at the same speed in various tests and games? If not then you really have no space to talk as you have done no research and are just blabbing out your mouth.

Try better next time =)

I'm a student currently attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, if you attend or around there please don't hesitate to contact me!

Mudkip: CPU: i5-4670k; Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo; Memory: 16GBs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD5H; GPU: ASUS DCUII 770 2GB @ 1254MHz; HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB; PSU: CX750M; Case: ThermalTake A31 Chaser Thunder

lel

youre saying you need a 100 dollar cooler to get a 4690K too 4.0 GHZ

-.-

No a $60 cooler

Yeah but a 4790k is faster. What you posted shows that's true. It's a whole 500MHz faster and gets maybe 1 fps more.

.5 gHz is a significant increase in clock speed

We wont know until it releases. They've stated they're optimising for hyper-threading, and that no single rig currently available will be capable of playing the full release on maximum graphics settings.

Which makes me question design choices and their occlusion algorithm.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If you're doing purely gaming, then there's no point getting a 4790K over the 4690K. You could invest that saved $120 and put it towards a much better GPU.

Its not $120 more its $60 more

But it's above the threshold of mattering. The 4690k can already keep all the top GPUs continuously fed. You will gain next to nothing in gaming by the 4790k. In raw computations you would, but not gaming.

The general consensus is the 4690K is a great chip for the money you pay.
Most people on LTT could even use a lesser chip and still be happy.
Others might have no issue about paying more money for a chip that might only be 5% or 10% better.
It comes down to the individual. Saying the 4690K is the better chip for somebody is a safe assumption as they probably won't use it to its fullest anyway and is cheaper than the 4790K. If they buy the 4790K, they are probably still not using it to the fullest and paying more.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

For one frame? No reason to spend $100 more. Just OC a 4690k because damn near all of them can hit 4.

@Cokeman

Hrmm, in the past 20 minutes you get this kind of response. Makes you kind of want to rethink what you said don't you?

I would never buy an i7 myself unless I was editing/rendering, so why would I suggest one to other people if they are in the same boat as me?

I wouldn't suggest something to someone that I wouldn't do. That would be stupid. Do you have an i7? Have you tested an i7 versus an i5 clocked at the same speed in various tests and games? If not then you really have no space to talk as you have done no research and are just blabbing out your mouth.

Try better next time =)

I don't know what's up with this "Cokeman" guy.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Which makes me question design choices and their occlusion algorithm.

They did this on purpose to push gaming further. They want the game to be as ridiculously awesome as possible and I for one support it.

Its not $120 more its $60 more

Don't quote Microcenter prices. Not everyone lives near one. The 4690k is 230 USD on newegg and the 4790k is 339.99.

a "Slightly higher clock speed", is it really worth the extra $100 if all you are doing is gaming and it will only get you maybe up to 5 extra fps?

As an 8320 owner who has overclocked it to 4.5GHz (higher than an FX-9370) I can say with confidence that paying more for a CPU just for a higher clock speed is stupid :P

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

obviously it isnt

1FPS isnt 'significant' its neglectable, do your research before going down that road 

'derp, heigher number must be better! right?'

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

They did this on purpose to push gaming further. They want the game to be as ridiculously awesome as possible and I for one support it.

But did they do it intelligently or by frivolously wasting resources like high-polygon splines in places they aren't needed? I'm betting waste. There's no way to choke a 295x2 without wasting resources stupidly. There just isn't. I'm all for advancing gaming and graphics, but I'm really skeptical because I know the power of these GPUs and now I've seen in-game footage.

But did they do it intelligently or by frivolously wasting resources like high-polygon splines in places they aren't needed? I'm betting yes. There's no way to choke a 295x2 without wasting resources stupidly. There just isn't.

Look at some of the things they are doing and decide for yourself. I just know that they want to push gaming to levels not yet done. Which I commend them for.

1. Because it's awesome

2. Because it will make consoles look even more like giant piles of shit.

For one frame? No reason to spend $100 more. Just OC a 4690k because damn near all of them can hit 4.

Its $60 more

Look at some of the things they are doing and decide for yourself. I just know that they want to push gaming to levels not yet done. Which I commend them for.

1. Because it's awesome

2. Because it will make consoles look even more like giant piles of shit.

Have a link to where they describe their process?