Something New from AMD on the 23rd?

Deletive

You are being very vague, slow down because of what?

software-level on-the-fly recompiling for compatibility on old hardware. We saw it with some drivers to bring I believe the GTX 600 series up to par on OpenCL 11.2 or a revision of DX 11. You saw a slowdown/hamstring of the API improvement because code was being translated on the GPU to use older microcode.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'll admit I'd like to see the 300 series sometime soon. With star citizen on the horizon I am looking at high end graphics cards and if they can beat out the 780 with a low end 300 series for less than 400 bucks I MIGHT consider switching teams, based on reviews and such.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'll admit I'd like to see the 300 series sometime soon. With star citizen on the horizon I am looking at high end graphics cards and if they can beat out the 780 with a low end 300 series for less than 400 bucks I MIGHT consider switching teams, based on reviews and such.

It seems really unlikely given how well Maxwell has proven itself. I know Nvidia is overpriced (though they say the 800s cards will be cheaper than the 700s), but that power efficiency and overclockability look sweet.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It seems really unlikely given how well Maxwell has proven itself. I know Nvidia is overpriced (though they say the 800s cards will be cheaper than the 700s), but that power efficiency and overclockability look sweet.

The one thing that's compelling to me about AMD is that you can do crossfire with different cards, unlike Nvidia where you had better order the cards together or they probably won't work. I fail to understand why Nvidia does this, when it's obviously not necessary.

The one thing that's compelling to me about AMD is that you can do crossfire with different cards, unlike Nvidia where you had better order the cards together or they probably won't work. I fail to understand why Nvidia does this, when it's obviously not necessary.

It's probably a thought process regarding profit margins within market segmentation. "If you're willing to pay for the first 780TI, you can probably afford the second" is probably the thought process. "If you can only afford a 660, then we'd rather you buy our higher end hardware and not eek out some more performance with a low-profit 750TI"

R9 780 Ti x2 Black Ghz Edition with a passive cooler xD

Build : i7 3770, R9 290 reference, Corsair VS 650, 8gb 1333mhz ram, Corsair 350D, MSI B75-E33

why would anyone think that it will be a toaster everytime amd releases something i know that the previous ones were hot like hell but hey maybe they do something with the newer ones since they are pushing power efficiency too so idk

you dont know untill it arrrives and i really hope its something good but who knows

why would anyone think that it will be a toaster everytime amd releases something i know that the previous ones were hot like hell but hey maybe they do something with the newer ones since they are pushing power efficiency too so idk

you dont know untill it arrrives and i really hope its something good but who knows

GCN and power efficiency do not belong in the same sentence unless it is an affirmative derivative of:

"GCN lacks power efficiency."

I mean come on a 300 Watt card? A 650 watt dual card (when the pump and fan are running at max load)? At least Nvidia tried on the Z.

GCN and power efficiency do not belong in the same sentence unless it is an affirmative derivative of:

I mean come on a 300 Watt card? A 650 watt dual card (when the pump and fan are running at max load)? At least Nvidia tried on the Z.

stop spouting crap, GCN is pretty efficient. In comparison to what may be a valid question.

stop spouting crap, GCN is pretty efficient. In comparison to what may be a valid question.

Kepler? No. Maxwell? AW HAEL NAW! xD

23rd, isn't that also the day Doctor Who starts? I'm hoping for something sonic.

ITT amd hate.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

Tonga's 7950 uses 150watts on average. less than the 760 and the 770. and being in between the two in performance.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

20 bucks says it's more confirmation of upcoming mantle support.

Not another APU please :mellow:

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Tonga's 7950 uses 150watts on average. less than the 760 and the 770. and being in between the two in performance.

The low clock rate might have something to do with that...

Not another APU please :mellow:

Seeing Carrizo completed, demoed with 2400MHz CL 10 RAM and HSA-centered software would be a worthwhile venture. It's the official completion of their HSA 1.0 plan. With the GPU cores no longer needing to be assigned their task by the CPU cores, it could bring some impressive improvements. That said, I wish it came with a die shrink.

Seeing Carrizo completed, demoed with 2400MHz CL 10 RAM and HSA-centered software would be a worthwhile venture. It's the official completion of their HSA 1.0 plan. With the GPU cores no longer needing to be assigned their task by the CPU cores, it could bring some impressive improvements. That said, I wish it came with a die shrink.

I just wish the cpu didn't get starved. 

Edit; I forget excavator is suppose to not suck. hopefully it will bring some good performance that i can choose it over a unlocked pentium, i3.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I would rather wait for AMD to get some kind of stacked ram on die before seeing another APU. If they released Carrizo right now it wouldn't be that much more impressive as Kaveri currently is. Reason for that is it would still be held back by slow DDR3 bandwidth. Regardless if they even brought forth Excavator cores, who would want a A10-7850k with just slightly faster CPU cores? In the end gaming performance would be of little to no change. So there's not much of a selling point for a new flagship APU. They already based Kaveri sales off HSA and gaming. Once AMD gets some on-die stacked memory, we are talking discrete HD 7750 grade performance and up.

Probably that 285/285x deal.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I would rather wait for AMD to get some kind of stacked ram on die before seeing another APU. If they released Carrizo right now it wouldn't be that much more impressive as Kaveri currently is. Reason for that is it would still be held back by slow DDR3 bandwidth. Regardless if they even brought forth Excavator cores, who would want a A10-7850k with just slightly faster CPU cores? In the end gaming performance would be of little to no change. So there's not much of a selling point for a new flagship APU. They already based Kaveri sales off HSA and gaming. Once AMD gets some on-die stacked memory, we are talking discrete HD 7750 grade performance and up.

There is conflicting information as to whether or not AMD will do that with Carrizo. And you people really need to realize something. APUs were not developed for gaming. They were developed with the idea of competing with Intel's Xeons in the server and supercomputer world. Gamers are the last market AMD shareholders care about, callous as that sounds. You're too small a market to keep AMD afloat on the CPU side.

It's probably Tonga (R9-285), a.k.a. the 280X replacement that is worse than the 280X in every way.

It's probably Tonga (R9-285), a.k.a. the 280X replacement that is worse than the 280X in every way.

from what ive seen the 285 will replace the 270x while the 285x will replace the 280x (285x is supposed to be tonga but with 3 gigs and a 384 width)

from what ive seen the 285 will replace the 270x while the 285x will replace the 280x (285x is supposed to be tonga but with 3 gigs and a 384 width)

Hm, don't recall having heard of the 285X with those specs but, if that is the case, good because what I hated about Tonga replacing the 280X was it was limited to 256 memory bus and 2GB VRAM so it seemed like a downgrade.

There is conflicting information as to whether or not AMD will do that with Carrizo. And you people really need to realize something. APUs were not developed for gaming. They were developed with the idea of competing with Intel's Xeons in the server and supercomputer world. Gamers are the last market AMD shareholders care about, callous as that sounds. You're too small a market to keep AMD afloat on the CPU side.

APU's were developed with the idea of coming closer to confining the desktop. They've been on the market for years without anyone ever thinking of utilizing the iGPU for compute. AMD has been selling them to the consumer market ever since Llano based on how well they game as they did not feature a heterogeneous architecture back then. Sure they do offer a great amount of compute power now that HSA exists and can finally be utilized to its fullest. Tho a new addition wouldn't change anything for the consumer desktop market. It would have to be packing something extra special in order for it to top Kaveri. Even with Excavator cores and a GPU context switch, it still wouldn't warrant enough of a reason to launch a new flagship APU. Let's also understand that consumer chips differ from commercial chips (you won't find a A10-7850k in a server). This PR clearly came straight out of AMD's GPU department. So I am willing to bet its Volcanic Islands 2.0 (aka Tonga).