Choose Firefox Now, Or Later You Won't Get A Choice

Builder

I like the idea of Google controlling everything, then everything works...

I try Firefox every 6 months or so, but I get lots of crashes and I find a lot of sites that don't work properly with it, primarily company internal sites that the majority of typical users never visit, but business people use often.

Been using the old Opera 12.16 since Opera abandoned ship and became a Chrome clone. I will never use Chrome or anything Chromium-based. Anyone with a properly functioning sense of morale will do the same.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Been using firefox since version 4. Chrome menu hard to use for me. 

I don't know why I like IE better than FF. I guess it feels quicker to me, which admittedly I never thought I'd be saying that I felt IE seemed quicker than anything.

Well I can't really argue against that. It's a really weak argument to say that it feels quicker though.

We do fresh FF profiles without any add-ons or plugins and it doesn't matter, it crashes all the time. We have new people come in with fresh installs of everything, and their FF crashes too.

You say you don't have any crashes, are you hammering on it both manually and with web automation like we are? 8hrs a day, 5 days a week? If you read my post you'll notice that was the caveat, I mentioned that an end user is not nearly as likely to see the issues that we see with it.

I usually keep my browser open for the entire day but close it before I go to sleep (that's kind of a way for me to confirm that I have done everything on the web for today).

According to the history tab in Firefox I visited exactly 1000 unique web pages yesterday (not sure if that's a cap or I just happened to visit exactly 1000). So far today I am at 621. That's unique pages by the way, no duplicates counted. I often have three or more Firefox windows open at the same time and I am on Aurora so it's not exactly the most stable build. So yeah I'd say I am a pretty heavy user. Got plenty of addons and userscripts as well.

So I'd say I am a pretty heavy user, and I still don't run into any issues whatsoever unlike most people in this thread apparently.

And this is exactly why consumer protection and anti monopoly laws exist.

They don't work.

Like the blog post and I have pointed out, Google has already started disabling features for browsers other than Chrome. Apple already has a legal monopoly on browsers for iOS.

Used FF in the past. Then I tried chrome and didn't go back. Everything worked so much better for me

I usually keep my browser open for the entire day but close it before I go to sleep (that's kind of a way for me to confirm that I have done everything on the web for today).

According to the history tab in Firefox I visited exactly 1000 unique web pages yesterday (not sure if that's a cap or I just happened to visit exactly 1000). So far today I am at 621. That's unique pages by the way, no duplicates counted. I often have three or more Firefox windows open at the same time and I am on Aurora so it's not exactly the most stable build. So yeah I'd say I am a pretty heavy user. Got plenty of addons and userscripts as well.

So I'd say I am a pretty heavy user, and I still don't run into any issues whatsoever unlike most people in this thread apparently.

That is not even comparable, nowhere near approaching the abuse that we put browsers through on a daily basis with our automation. LOL.

You're trying to compare "a dude that uses a browser a lot" to automation. It's not a comparison, thus I mentioned that we hit browsers hard and do not use them same as normal people do. But you seem butthurt and intent on proving me wrong.

But hey, it's probably a pebkac on our part. So if you're looking for work, send me a resume, maybe we could use a guy like you to fix all our shit.

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

Controversial:

Chrome is actually NOT a good web browser. But people are brainwashed, and unwilling to try something else. Chrome web browser follows very anti-privacy tactics, that if it were any other company, people would go out in arms and pitch forks, but Google has its users like Apple has theirs. Google fans will always defend Chrome, even though it's not good, and ignore all bad actions and policy they do. Even if Google adds an ad bar, I am most certain that most people, will still use Google Chrome. But when Opera did it, oh boy... it was a nuclear disaster, and still paying the price, despite being over 10 years that they removed it.

Firefox is not perfect either. But they promote openness, and they always done that, and promotes maximum privacy, and the best web experience. If you use quality extensions, and you keep your plug-ins updated, Firefox won't crash on you. I don't recall a single time Firefox crashed, even if I open 10 tabs, which I admit is rare.. 'cause I use this new concept, called bookmarks. It's amazing, you should try it, if you aren't.

People look at benchmarks, and nothing else. And that is a huge problem. And very hypocritical. That is like buying a 50$ monitor and playing games at minimum settings possible, even the resolution at 640x800, because they seek maximum performance. YES, you'll get amazing performance, but the graphics looks like crap, you don't have the full experience.

With Chrome:

-> Your CPU can't go to sleep, even if you are at idle, consuming power uselessly. Hey on your way, turn on your oven at 350F, and NEVER turn it off. It's great, you'll cook food faster as you don't need the oven to wait for it to warm up. Oh, NOW it's a waste of energy?

-> Images are color managed, but the web browser just ignores that, just to get every bit of performance.

-> Chrome extensions is exactly like Apple store, even worse. Your extensions needs to be approved and can be taking down permanently, with no reason given, and no way to talk with Google. And your dev account can also be suspended without reason. Sure you don't care, but it is the principal of things. Developers makes their add-ons for it, as they have no choice, much like iOS. It's so popular that they have to cave in, no choice.

There I said it.

I was a Firefox Aurora user for a long time and it was doing what I wanted it to do. Then my computer crashed due to Flash Player errors and I tried Chrome for the first time. There it didn't happen and I think I won't be switching back to Firefox anytime soon.

So you are comparing Beta software to a polished product, and wondering why the beta version isn't work right? The point of using a Beta web browser, is that YOU WANT to find crashes, bugs, and strange behaviors, and report them. This is Windows Previews all over again. People jumping on Windows Beta versions and then start saying how sucky it is, and start to take judgement on it. Windows 7, the OS that everyone loves, was trashed in it's preview builds, and people said how Microsoft is d00000med forever, long live Linux, especially after bugs that crashed the HDD basically, leading to massive data loss. Well, once the product is finished, you can clearly see that all issues were ironed out. Microsoft even mentions the risks, and even tells you that they don't recommend using it as your main OS, let alone on your main system.

Firefox is not perfect either. But they promote openness, and they always done, and promotes maximum privacy, and the best web experience. If you use quality extensions, and you keep your plug-ins updated, Firefox won't crash on you. I don't recall a single time Firefox crashed, even if I open 10 tabs, which I admit is rare.. 'cause I use this new concept, called bookmarks. It's amazing, you should try it, if you aren't.

Guess who's paying Mozilla so that they can continue to develop their—clearly inferior, unless you're a Chrome hater (there, I said it too)—browser? Google.

1 -> : The issue your talking about is a confirmed bug, they have announced that they are working on a fix.

2 -> : What are you trying to say? Images displayed on the web should use the color management used by your system, and that's what Chrome does. Unlike other ancient browsers where you'd have problems with (most commonly) yellow images because the browsers ran their own color management.

3 -> : No. If your extension is taken down you get an email with the specific details as to why your extension was disabled or removed, giving you the options to correct the issues and apply for a re-evaluation (usually takes 3-4 hours).

Cheers,

Linus

-snip-

@GoodBytes, I do believe we've found something to agree on. :D

Friends?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'll make a lot of enemies saying this, but what Google has established over the last decade is very impressive. I don't blame them for wanting to dominate every possible market. After all, every large company wants to win, and as you said it yourself that is exactly what they are doing. @AlwaysFSX said eveything else already :)

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Guess who's paying Mozilla so that they can continue to develop their—clearly inferior, unless you're a Chrome hater (there, I said it too)—browser? Google.

Yup. But I have a feeling that they'll switch with Bing. Microsoft will be happy as it showcases their search engine, it's peanuts for them, and Google is a big treat compared to Firefox. Firefox has essentially just the web browser, Google has Android.

1 -> : The issue your talking about is a confirmed bug, they have announced that they are working on a fix.

The issue has been reported ages ago, with "we are looking into it" ages ago as well. The only reason why it got some level of attention, is due that it reach the media, as someone famous and important was fed up, and contacted the media.

2 -> : What are you trying to say? Images displayed on the web should use the color management used by your system, and that's what Chrome does. Unlike other ancient browsers where you'd have problems with (most commonly) yellow images because the browsers ran their own color management.

Chrome ignores all color profiles.

http://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-your-browser-color-managed/

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

When even Safari supports it, then you know there is a problem.

3 -> : No. If your extension is taken down you get an email with the specific details as to why your extension was disabled or removed, giving you the options to correct the issues and apply for a re-evaluation (usually takes 3-4 hours).

So then they recently changed, if that is any true. Not when I read the policy a few years back.

Yup. But I have a feeling that they'll switch with Bing. Microsoft will be happy as it showcases theur search engine, it's pennuts for them, and Google is a big treat then Firefox. Firefox has essentially just the web browser, Google has Android.

Good point, but I believe it's a not very founded in reality—The relationship between Google and Firefox is very good, and they support each other in their different endeavors to the extent that it makes sense to either party.

The issue has been reported ages ago, with "we are looking into it" ages ago as well. The only reason why it got some level of attention, is due that it reach the media, as someone famous and important was fed up, and contacted the media.

Very true, and I agree that it is and almost always has been a problem for people on battery, however it's certainly not big enough a point to switch from an otherwise great browser.

These articles make no sense, my Chrome appears to completely support ICC profiles.

Case in point:

car.png

My car is definitely not purple.

So then they recently changed, if that is any true. Not when I read the policy a few years back.

It's not really recent, it's just that the terms state that they can remove things without saying anything, while the reality is that they very timely interact with the developer (except for the initial take-down, which happens without any warning, followed by an email stating the reasons for the action).

Edit: Also, this does not affect users who have already installed the extension, it only stops new users from installing it. Unless they bring out the big guns and blow your extension away because it does something really naughty.

Cheers

Cheers,

Linus

That is not even comparable, nowhere near approaching the abuse that we put browsers through on a daily basis with our automation. LOL.

You're trying to compare "a dude that uses a browser a lot" to automation. It's not a comparison, thus I mentioned that we hit browsers hard and do not use them same as normal people do. But you seem butthurt and intent on proving me wrong.

But hey, it's probably a pebkac on our part. So if you're looking for work, send me a resume, maybe we could use a guy like you to fix all our shit.

What kind of things do you use browsers for then? Your posts are very vague.

I know Chrome used to ignore color profiles a while back (it was one of the major arguments used by Firefox advocates when Chrome had the best image downscaling) but it seems like it has been implemented. It works on my machine at least.

What kind of things do you use browsers for then? Your posts are very vague.

As I already said, QA and automation. If you don't know what that is, then perhaps you should take a step back and educate yourself before arguing.

Consider this lesson on me.

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

As I already said, QA and automation. If you don't know what that is, then perhaps you should take a step back and educate yourself before arguing.

Consider this lesson on me.

Yeah... Just saying "automation" is extremely vague.

When I ask for sources, testing methodology and things like that I want as much details as possible. If I ask a programmer what he is working on I expect a better answer than a LMGTFY link that says "writing code".

And so what if a browser crashes in your test? Maybe it is your test that is bad, or maybe it is the browser but it is a completely irrelevant scenario because it doesn't reflect what the browsers will actually be used for. not a good reason to prefer IE.

Yeah... Just saying "automation" is extremely vague.

When I ask for sources, testing methodology and things like that I want as much details as possible. If I ask a programmer what he is working on I expect a better answer than a LMGTFY link that says "writing code".

And so what if a browser crashes in your test? Maybe it is your test that is bad, or maybe it is the browser but it is a completely irrelevant scenario because it doesn't reflect what the browsers will actually be used for. not a good reason to prefer IE.

Wow. We had to come this far for you to say that you're butthurt for me preferring IE over FF (which I already fucking answered several posts ago).

And sorry, but I'm not going to get into specifics of what Im' automating and how, as I'm under NDA with our client. So you can fuck right off with that notion.

And again, you speak to my point which I am now mentioning for the THIRD fucking time, which was, that we hit browsers harder than a typical end user likely will.

Shall we argue around in another circle so that I can mention it a fourth time?

Google have good products and people use them because they're better. I'd rather a phone with chrome and google docs on it rather than a crap samsung browser based on ics and some old document editor from gingerbread.

Wow. We had to come this far for you to say that you're butthurt for me preferring IE over FF (which I already fucking answered several posts ago).

And sorry, but I'm not going to get into specifics of what Im' automating and how, as I'm under NDA with our client. So you can fuck right off with that notion.

And again, you speak to my point which I am now mentioning for the THIRD fucking time, which was, that we hit browsers harder than a typical end user likely will.

Shall we argue around in another circle so that I can mention it a fourth time?

Wow, you really need to calm down mate, that kind of language is truly uncalled for.

What are you trying to prove here with all of the big words? It's common knowledge that Firefox is the most crash-prone modern browser among those of us that develop demanding systems for browsers, isn't that enough? That's just the current reality; not something you need to get so worked up about when trying to run over someone else's browser choice; if Firefox works for him, that's all fine.

Browsers are truly a personal choice, no need to get so riled up about things—Especially since there have been no hard facts in the discussion you guys are holding.

Cheers,

Linus

I've used Opera and Firefox in the past and always get back with Chrome because of its rapid speeds.

I don't think I would use any browser either as all my data can be synced to my google account.

So if any hardware failures occur my neat settings will be secure.

Wow, you really need to calm down mate, that kind of language is truly uncalled for.

What are you trying to prove here with all of the big words? It's common knowledge that Firefox is the most crash-prone modern browser among those of us that develop demanding systems for browsers, isn't that enough? That's just the current reality; not something you need to get so worked up about when trying to run over someone else's browser choice; if Firefox works for him, that's all fine.

Browsers are truly a personal choice, no need to get so riled up about things—Especially since there have been no hard facts in the discussion you guys are holding.

You're right. I got unnecessarily riled up over this and I apologize for that. This is a stupid argument which amounts to a "ford vs chevy" argument and I took the bait from the FF fanboy that apparently was emotionally damaged when I said that "I think I prefer IE to FF", and when I claimed that FF crashes the most in our automation at work.

The other guy's opinion doesn't really matter at the end of the day, anecdotal evidence is nice and all, but I have an office of 50-60 people that if they were registered here would tell him that FF crashes more than any other browser. And, for the fourth time, I'll say, that is under heavy use that we subject our browsers to, which for the fourth time I'll also mention that "normal people" might not observe. This is not "I had my browser open all day and visited 1000 websites." This is automation running 40hrs per week. Blah. Done with this convo and the FF fanboy.

firefox all the way baby!

Tried Chrome but never really got into it. 

It feels like I'm reading the browser version of the console wars.  I like to use both just in case one of the browsers decides to crap out on me.  

For me personally Google Chrome has the edge since it saves my bookmarks to my Gmail, but I primarily use Firefox on my netbook cause it performs much better (on the netbook) and Google Chrome on my desktop for the bookmark feature.

-So many people claiming firefox crashes more, can someone send me evidence that google chrome stable builds are somehow less crash prone than firefox stable builds? The only crashes i have ever gotten on either browser full stop are flash player crashes, which leave the webpage fine but need a restart of the browser to reload flash. Yet everyone here seems to get crashes loads apparently? You either are applying a pre concieved notion, or are simply watching way too much porn at one time. In that case, firefox is doing you a favour - its not super healthy.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.