Choose Firefox Now, Or Later You Won't Get A Choice

Builder

consumers wanna say:"well, it works."

and that is what google is doing perfectly, just functioning properly.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

i wouldnt be suprised if this was true there will be riots all over the place, and probably forcing google to stop if it ever comes true....

This Post Was Brought To You By Internet Explorer

So now I actually have to pay money to use Chrome? I don't like that at all. I prefer software that is coded efficiently and isn't trying to take over the internet.

What happens if they make a new standard that only runs on Chrome and force everyone to be compliant or they'll delist them from Google? They have the power to do these things right now.

Then don't use it. Power shifts with the masses at their will, not the other way around. I like how you're nit-picking arguments in the worst possible ways. If the only thing you're using your computer for is browsing the internet, at least make sure it's capable of that. And don't open an exorbitant amount of tabs. Not my problem if your computer chugs along because you're running hardware from 2005. 

Do what? All I need from a browser is noscript and adblock. The UI does almost look the same since ff changed to australis. No problems switching.

How do they manage to break YouTube?

I doubt it for two reasons, 1.  google's main source of income is data, I can't see them preventing people from giving them data (from using google) just because they were using windows and firefox. And 2. that would amount to anti competitive behavior and even forgetting the court case it could still prove to be a PR issue.

Let's not forget that Linux is a thing... And everyone has a USB pretty much, we can pass it along to the next person and get connected to the internet.

But Google stuff actually works.. So why not use it?

Works + innovating is good enough for me.

Firefox has a lot of junk, doesn't run as smoothly, nor does the UI look as good as as intuitive as I want it to.

I'm not going to switch to inferior products. They are winning because they are the best available.

Google isn't taking freedoms away from the internet. You can create and use anything you want. It's up to the user to determine whether or not it's better than what they currently use. I find FireFox inferior to Chrome, therefore I will use Chrome over FireFox. Same with the rest of the business world. Legitimate monopolies can exist because a company provides that much better of a product or experience.

It does, moose is talking about an old court case that MicroSoft won in the end regardless.

this ^

Did you even read the whole article? They're trying to make it so that you can only access the internet through their browser and their search. See above. They control access to the internet, if they wanted to, they could squash their competitors like bugs.

then why dont they? because one thing i am sure of is, that google as a company would love nothing more, than to be without competition. they dont kill it becasue they cant. because on the internet, there is this culture of freedom of choice. if i wanted to, i could use whatever browser/search engine/docs thing i wanted, and still get the same internet.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

It's pretty clearly not the best if they abuse its dominance to defeat their competitors.

Boo hoo. Last time I checked its a dog eat dog world.

If Google wants to flex its muscles then good for them. Same goes for any other company. Its simple, make something that works and do it well and people will follow and believe in it. Make one wrong move and people will look else were. I have no loyalty to any company or business etc. I'll always go for what is better and in this case its Google because they always have the better solution. Although say for example if its mobile phones i'll tend to pick iPhone due to simplicity.

Google is dominant because they're simply better, people won't switch to something inferior to "save" the internet. The internet doesn't need to be "saved" anyway considering Google isn't doing anything to jeopardizes it's freedom in anyway shape or form. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The Firefox UI looks like shit so goodbye!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Google makes the superior product. That's why I use it. If we stop using their products, they will go away like all the other companies that rely on us, their customers.

It's very frustrating to see that people are constantly underestimating the power we have as end-users. Very rarely do we make good use of the power.

Example: Corsair. Corsair has been maintaining this trend of giving us less (build quality, features etc.) for the same high premium price they always charge. People always complain about Corsair in this manner but still their margins are through the roof with people still buying their cases, fans etc. What would happen if we decided tomorrow that we weren't gonna take this anymore?

We as consumers have the power and when we band together we can make good use of it. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

How do they manage to break YouTube?

They removeing flash and useing html5 playback in ff33. Hasn't been resolved yet by youtube/google (I wonder why? *cough*). Not mozillas fault.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I doubt it for two reasons, 1.  google's main source of income is data, I can't see them preventing people from giving them data (from using google) just because they were using windows and firefox. And 2. that would amount to anti competitive behavior and even forgetting the court case it could still prove to be a PR issue.

Well what happens if when you go to google.com in a different browser, it just places a tracking cookie and gives you a "Download Chrome to Use Google Search" splash screen? How many more Chrome users do you think they'd get like that? They'd have all of the average "sheep" users, and possibly a good portion of power users as well, depending on how many of them rely on Google for search. They already delist competitors, look it up. (I'm not going to say Google it, but if so, please do)

this ^

then why dont they? because one thing i am sure of is, that google as a company would love nothing more, than to be without competition. they dont kill it becasue they cant. because on the internet, there is this culture of freedom of choice. if i wanted to, i could use whatever browser/search engine/docs thing i wanted, and still get the same internet.

They already do. Search "google delist vivint" and I think you will be quite surprised.

Also, Google has fallen behind in technological dominance. The other Webkit-based browsers are going to get a new JIT for JS that's way faster and they all use less memory than Chrome too.

Boo hoo. Last time I checked its a dog eat dog world.

If Google wants to flex its muscles then good for them. Same goes for any other company. Its simple, make something that works and do it well and people will follow and believe in it. Make one wrong move and people will look else were. I have no loyalty to any company or business etc. I'll always go for what is better and in this case its Google because they always have the better solution. Although say for example if its mobile phones i'll tend to pick iPhone due to simplicity.

Google is dominant because they're simply better, people won't switch to something inferior to "save" the internet. The internet doesn't need to be "saved" anyway considering Google isn't doing anything to jeopardizes it's freedom in anyway shape or form. 

Except I can't trust Google search because they user filter bubbling to feed my confirmation bias and make me happy to use it. They feed me ads constantly, waiting for me to crack under the psychological pressure. Google has made tons of wrong moves, they are delisting their competitors left and right. It's sheep like you that are the problem here.

They aren't making the best product, it's only the best for you because it allows superior access to their ecosystem. Firefox uses less memory and Safari runs faster. Chrome is no longer the best.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I tried using chrome, did not like it, will not be using it. Hell I don't even like firefox. I'm one of those weird people that's never actually had a problem with I.E. until recently when I could no longer go to www.google.com (not sure why, kept getting "navigation to webpage has been canceled)

I will not be using chrome, ever.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They already do. Search "google delist vivint" and I think you will be quite surprised.

Also, Google has fallen behind in technological dominance. The other Webkit-based browsers are going to get a new JIT for JS that's way faster and they all use less memory than Chrome too.

did it affect your choice of using a different engine (eg bing/yahoo/whatever)? no it did not, if you want, you can always change it. i wont because google works for me, and when it stops i will.

well when the others show supremacy beyond using a bit less ram (which i dont care about) i will start using them. but i dont see that coming soon.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

What happens if they make a new standard that only runs on Chrome and force everyone to be compliant or they'll delist them from Google? They have the power to do these things right now.

... I'm pretty sure if they did that to anyone remotely important they'd have court cases to deal with. I believe there are anti-monopoly laws that would prevent such things from occurring. The kinds of laws that force Microsoft to allow third party software to be installed in Windows.

I'm fine with using Google stuff. If they get hold of the internet, then it's the governments that are failing at regulating the market. And if the governments are failing, we have bigger problems than Google owning the Internet (effectively).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

did it affect your choice of using a different engine (eg bing/yahoo/whatever)? no it did not, if you want, you can always change it. i wont because google works for me, and when it stops i will.

well when the others show supremacy beyond using a bit less ram (which i dont care about) i will start using them. but i dont see that coming soon.

Firefox is completely open source, Safari runs JS way faster. 

I find it funny that you say "Google works for me" without realizing that you're choosing a browser that is anti-freedom. It's like Germans that were happy to become fascist.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

People will still use Google because their products are better, who cares if they are a monopoly, 20 years from now amazon will be a monopoly, and that doesn't seem so bad because their service is superior to everyone elses.

People will still use Google because their products are better, who cares if they are a monopoly, 20 years from now amazon will be a monopoly, and that doesn't seem so bad because their service is superior to everyone elses.

WHY IS THIS A THING?

When companies get monopolies, they stop being the best. The same is becoming true for Google and Chrome too.

Google and Chrome are what you claim to be the best because they have competitors. They wouldn't be if they were the only options available. Competition spurs innovation, monopolies cause it to stagnate.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I find it funny that you say "Google works for me" without realizing that you're choosing a browser that is anti-freedom. It's like Germans that were happy to become fascist.

what does open source have to do with anything? its unstable.

chrome is plenty fast now...

and to your last statement

Triple-facepalm-picard-812.jpg

im sorry for saying this, but stop quoting me, i will not answer, because i dont converse with idiotic conspiracy theorists

Well what happens if when you go to google.com in a different browser, it just places a tracking cookie and gives you a "Download Chrome to Use Google Search" splash screen? How many more Chrome users do you think they'd get like that? They'd have all of the average "sheep" users, and possibly a good portion of power users as well, depending on how many of them rely on Google for search. They already delist competitors, look it up. (I'm not going to say Google it, but if so, please do)

Except I can't trust Google search because they user filter bubbling to feed my confirmation bias and make me happy to use it. They feed me ads constantly, waiting for me to crack under the psychological pressure. Google has made tons of wrong moves, they are delisting their competitors left and right. It's sheep like you that are the problem here.

They aren't making the best product, it's only the best for you because it allows superior access to their ecosystem. Firefox uses less memory and Safari runs faster. Chrome is no longer the best.

Lmao sheep like me? I'm not a sheep I'm just using the better product. I'm hardly a sheep to anyone, I own and use products from various company's. In fact I'm currently typing this from my iPhone using safari browser, happy now? Also I was using google chrome on a mac before but again that's because google chrome synchronises all my things across all my devices... Or should I say gmail as it's how I keep my contact info backed up. So no I'm not a sheep, I use everything but I'm not afraid to admit google is superior in most areas and will continue to do so as they've maintained an audience since google became google.

When apple brings out a new product for example all the sheep of the world will go run out and buy it now won't they? Guess that means apple is doing the same thing as google then? Bringing out a new product or service in the 21st century is nothing new, it's how competition works. If for example if Apple was to bring out a search engine tomorrow and it had everything google had and more I'd quite happily make the switch. Same applies for Microsofts bing, if it was as good as google I'd use it but it ain't so I won't.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

What has google said about chrome cpu boosting shenanigans? Or what ever that is?

Because that's the only thing I don't like about chrome

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

... I'm pretty sure if they did that to anyone remotely important they'd have court cases to deal with. I believe there are anti-monopoly laws that would prevent such things from occurring. The kinds of laws that force Microsoft to allow third party software to be installed in Windows.

I'm fine with using Google stuff. If they get hold of the internet, then it's the governments that are failing at regulating the market. And if the governments are failing, we have bigger problems than Google owning the Internet (effectively).

Anti monopoly laws?1? hahahaha, your funny. Until an amendment that abolishes lobbying is passed there are no restrictions on monopolies in America. Big Oil and the major cable providers are perfect examples of this.

Firefox feels slower because it waits for the whole webpage to be rendered before displaying it, where as chrome shows things as they are being rendered, so it feels more responsive. Also java needs to fucking die a million horrible deaths and therefore I could give a million fucks less about JS performance.

And ohh, Safari is exclusive to OSX in case you haven't noticed.

WHY IS THIS A THING?

When companies get monopolies, they stop being the best. The same is becoming true for Google and Chrome too.

Google and Chrome are what you claim to be the best because they have competitors. They wouldn't be if they were the only options available. Competition spurs innovation, monopolies cause it to stagnate.

Costco is a pretty good monopoly, they let you return 10 year old broken tv's for crying out loud.

Anti monopoly laws?1? hahahaha, your funny. Until an amendment that abolishes lobbying is passed there are no restrictions on monopolies in America. Big Oil and the major cable providers are perfect examples of this.

The laws do exist, and, if pressed by large numbers of people, they will be enforced. There just aren't enough people mad at Big Oil yet. If you think those laws mean nothing, as mentioned previously, then I suppose you don't use anything but IE on Windows? Because that's how it would be without them.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Firefox feels slower because it waits for the whole webpage to be rendered before displaying it, where as chrome shows things as they are being rendered, so it feels more responsive. Also java needs to fucking die a million horrible deaths and therefore I could give a million fucks less about JS performance.

And ohh, Safari is exclusive to OSX in case you haven't noticed.

You made the mistake of confusing Java and JavaScript. They are entirely different.

Everyone in the thread should read the top comment on Hacker News right now if you aren't yet convinced about Google's abuse and preparation to take over the internet. Proprietary engine properties, like I described above, are already making some sites Chrome-only.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8185461

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Costco is a pretty good monopoly, they let you return 10 year old broken tv's for crying out loud.

They aren't a monopoly. They compete with Walmart and other wholesalers as well.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't understand why most people here keeps saying Chrome is better than other browsers. It uses more ram than Firefox as previously stated so therefore if you are doing multiple things at ones (which I'm sure most of us are doing?) than chrome will likely slow the others down. Also if you are on a laptop, not too long ago there was an article saying that chrome uses a whole lot more battery because it has a faster cpu tic rate (something like that).

Also the UI being bad in Firefox, I don't think so. I like it. Actually it's quite similar to the one in chrome. So saying it is ugly and bad is first of all a personal opinion and shouldn't really be used as an argument because people think differently about things and also chrome and firefox aren't that different IMO. Of course there are some differences but overall not too much.

And since Firefox is made by a non-NSA company I rather use Firefox than chrome (at least according to sources). Not that it matters much but still. Also Linus and Slick just said on the WAN show yesterday that they don't think that Chrome is that snappy any longer. It's just a reputation it's got since launch.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf