Choose Firefox Now, Or Later You Won't Get A Choice

Builder

All that is being suggested is people re-evaluate and choose the product that actually suits them better, rather than what they have been led to believe suits them better. Firefox currently is chrome but with proper customisation. Hence such a possible end result could be avoided, and we would all be better off if people actually used their brains.

But clearly that is too much to ask of you.

Trying Chrome after using Firefox for a while, I did notice some slight improvements to overall performance. And Chrome also offers enough customization for my needs

Been using firefox since i can't even remember. I don't know what it is but chrome rubs me the wrong way and firefox has never dissapointed me even with 60+ tabs open at all times.

Firefox is completely open source, Safari runs JS way faster.

I find it funny that you say "Google works for me" without realizing that you're choosing a browser that is anti-freedom. It's like Germans that were happy to become fascist.

You're saying to stop using a Google product (chrome) and then telling us to go use another product that Google pays for, because let's not forget who funds Firefox, and I'll tell you now, it's not the community.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You don't know that Chrome uses HTML5 by default instead of Flash whenever possible? As far as everything else, you are not making any valid counterpoints to what I said. I've already acknowledged the shortcomings of Apple, but I will always take a closed system that works flawlessly and is easier to use over an open system where every Tom, Dick and Jane can shit all over it however they like. It can never be said that its not a problem when countries have had to go out of their way to make the practice of it a crime.

Oh so you're getting <video> confused with the entirety of HTML5? OK that explains your very strangely worded point. Did you know that Firefox does this too if you click this link and then the big button? If saving two button clicks is one of your main arguments for using Chrome then wow...

By the way, iOS does not work "flawlessly". You even said it yourself, it has shortcomings.

Only parts of it is a crime. You're only focusing on the bad part while completely ignoring the good part. You're being completely irrational. It doesn't even seem like you understand what was banned in South Korea. Unremovable bloatware apps were banned. Not bloatware in general and certainly not trying to make improvements to Android in form of skins.

I used Firefox for almost a decade before switching to Chrome. So don't try to act like you know anything about what I've used. What Firefox has looks like a child's attempt at copying their daddy's work. For those of us old enough to remember, if you wanted an app for Firefox, you had to get it from a 3rd party site. The add-ons you could get directly through Firefox were extremely limited until the last couple of years.

That is 100% pure bullcrap. The extensions page was pretty good before Google Chrome was even released.

Also, what are you on about "child's attempt to copy their daddy's work"? Mozilla had that page up long before Google made theirs. Who is copying who exactly? The Chrome web store was released in 2011. Firefox had the official extensions store/page since what, 2004 or something like that? Please don't make things up to support your bullshit claims.

More people use Chrome because its better. More people use Nvidia because they are better. This isn't like Windows where there are no alternatives that actually work with every common program in existence. If Firefox was as good as you are trying to claim, millions of people would not have ditched it to use Chrome instead.

Argumentum ad populum.

By the way, Google spent huge amounts of money on marketing for Chrome. You can still see the effects of that today with all the "it's the fastest!" claims. Believe it or not, but marketing actually does work, and it's one of the reasons why "more people use it so therefore it must be good" is bullshit.

Wow, Wow. I've never seen this kind of ruckus over browsers before.

I currently use chrome, Recently switched to opera for a couple of months but ended up back at chrome (I know its still based on webkit)

I started using firefox back before FF2. The last time I tried to use firefox it was earlier this year it was version 27, I was building a website and it wouldn't format the page properly. It worked fine in IE, Chrome and safari. At the time there were a few people having the same problem. (It was driving me insane Turned out not to be a big deal as it was for an intranet so they just made sure that everyone had something other than firefox)

I stopped using FF at 17 when it kept crashing on me, I then got used to chrome.

The recent build of IE is actually pretty solid, MS finally got their shit together. (I had to use it recently when google derped a release of chrome and it wouldn't play youtube videos (They patched it hours later))

After reading this I'm tempted to give waterfox a try, I thought I saw somewhere recently that Mozilla was planning on releasing a 64bit version of firefox officially (I might be wrong)

The thing I like about chrome is its very minimalistic interface. Firefox and the new versions of IE with all the tool bars and other crap turned off are very clean as well. I've been using Firefox on Linux for netflix since chrome no longer supports NPAPI plugins, But in linux you can't get it to look as clean as you can in windows.

Anyway back to the topic at hand. Google.

We've seen Giants fall; Game, Kodak, THQ. Then Companies who got knocked down a few pegs; IBM, AMD and now Microsoft.

I have faith that people will get fed up at some point and they'll get knocked down a few. But I don't believe they've peaked yet. I feel like Apple will fall again before Google does.

I also feel like if they get restricted to soon all the things that they're doing that could benefit us all will stop :-(

Product integration isn't a bad thing in my mind it means a more seamless and better experience for the end user.

Google Fibre (Just saying)

The difference cardboard could make to the exposure and adoption of VR.

The funds they poor into young and upcoming people who have good ideas.

As well as all the money and resources they funnel into all of their other upcoming projects.

Self driving cars,

Ara,

Home automation,

smartwear (like the contact lens for diabetics)

Anti-aging,

Robotics.

And that's not including the things people really know them for.

Chrome (As bad as some people feel it is, Chrome stirred things up a bit and made people expect more from their browsers, and the other browser guys to step things up. without competition markets grow stale.

Android has practically defined what we know as a smartphone in terms of features and functionality. 

There is no way of knowing what would have happened without Google but I would guess things would be a bit different than what they are now.

Maybe they are getting a bit cocky and controlling, I just don't think its their time to fall yet.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

You're saying to stop using a Google product (chrome) and then telling us to go use another product that Google pays for, because let's not forget who funds Firefox, and I'll tell you now, it's not the community.

Mozilla accepts donations. But they aren't pushing that, as they have sufficient funds from Google (for now, but I expect Bing soon)

I've been using opera for a few months now, and it's pretty good. I prefer it to chrome which was consistently harassing me to log in using a Gmail account, which opera does not do. Although this is personal experience. I tried Firefox but don't like how it kept causing my laptop to crash or freeze all the time, similar to what chrome was like before I changed over.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Mozilla accepts donations. But they aren't pushing that, as they have sufficient funds from Google (for now, but I expect Bing soon)

They do accept donations, but the amount of money that they get from Google dwarfs their donations. I'm doubtful that they'll go to bing.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I like trains .. also Firefox .. and i use Firefox with Classic Theme Restorer addon , cuz i can't stand the new layout .

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

Used Firefox for years, switched to Chrome after pretty much everyone I knew was using it. The change was noticeable. Stopped using Firefox for about 2 years.

Now, with all the talks of browsers, I tested Firefox for about a month and I have to say, I don't see much difference from Chrome. I have enough ram for my daily use in both, no problems.

I'd suggest Firefox to someone who wants more customization (can pretty much change everything), but if you are just like meh, just use whatever. All modern browsers are okay-ish, at least.

A browser nobody mentions is the one from Baidu, name is Spark or something like that. I tried it for a bit and found it pretty cool, if you ignore all the clunky stuff that you just can't remove (including the actual software).

Baidu is worse than Google, they deserve that prize.

Also, speaking of world domination, people from all over the world, speaking a single language, complaining about trivial problems, in this forum. Doesn't that feel kind of sketchy, too?

Also, speaking of world domination, people from all over the world, speaking a single language, complaining about trivial problems, in this forum. Doesn't that feel kind of sketchy, too?

Are you saying that the British empire fell, only to be replaced by an American economic and cultural empire?

So maybe if Google were to fall it would be replaced by something equally as bad, if not worse?

:D

Are you saying that the British empire fell, only to be replaced by an American economic and cultural empire?

So maybe if Google were to fall it would be replaced by something equally as bad, if not worse?

:D

Oh yes, it is obviously an inside job. Freedom is just a lie from someone who is alienated and doesn't know it yet.

Sincerely resisting urge to comment on your profile pic because everyone is entitled to an opinion but my god are you misinformed

CtOnPFx.png

There you go.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Just because they pay for it doesn't mean it's bad. Firefox is open source, and they aren't pushing new standards that fragment the web, nor are they trying to restrict features of their other products to their browser. There's a huge difference between funding a browser and building your own. They aren't even using the same rendering engine.

I don't think time really matters in a legal sense, the laws regarding anti-competitive behaviour are quite well defined and precedence has been set on more than one occasion.

With regards to what companies can do with their money, a lot has changed. On top of that, the Supreme Court is currently controlled by Republicans who are trying to get rid of antitrust. Same with Congress.

They do accept donations, but the amount of money that they get from Google dwarfs their donations. I'm doubtful that they'll go to bing.

They won't, but you can change the search engine to whatever you want and they certainly aren't tied in to Google's ecosystem the way Chrome is. Firefox is designed to prevent lock in, not to avoid Google altogether. You can use it for that, but honestly I'd just use Lynx if you're convinced that Firefox is evil too. I use Lynx 90% of the time anyways.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

-snip-

How has Android defined what we know to be a smartphone in terms of features and functionality when the iPhone was first and the original Android concept looked like a BlackBerry?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Just because they pay for it doesn't mean it's bad. Firefox is open source, and they aren't pushing new standards that fragment the web, nor are they trying to restrict features of their other products to their browser. There's a huge difference between funding a browser and building your own. They aren't even using the same rendering engine.

You missed my point. If you want to get away from Google products, going to a product that is funded by Google (see: can be controlled/influenced) is not the most logically sound argument.

15" MBP TB

You missed my point. If you want to get away from Google products, going to a product that is funded by Google (see: can be controlled/influenced) is not the most logically sound argument.

Firefox takes money from Google, not orders. I don't think they'd stay with Google very long if Google started ordering them to make it like Chrome, and if they did, their users certainly wouldn't. It's still undoubtedly the lesser of two evils, even if you don't personally trust it. 

As I said, I'm not even primarily a Firefox user. I use Safari when I'm using GUI, Lynx when I'm not, and Firefox when I'm using GUI on a Linux or BSD box.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Google can't control Mozilla though. It's a non-profit organization so I doubt they would bend to "do this or you won't get paid!". The reason why they haven't looked for other alternatives is because Google has continued to give them money without making them compromise on other things. If Google started forcing them to do bad things I don't have any doubt in my mind that Mozilla would rather refuse and not get paid, than to follow their demands.

I use FireFox on my rig because it plays much nicer with the UI customisation options available in Linux than Chrome/Chromium did. Once they switch to GTK3 that'll change, no doubt, but so far it's been the best option.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Google can't control Mozilla though. It's a non-profit organization so I doubt they would bend to "do this or you won't get paid!". The reason why they haven't looked for other alternatives is because Google has continued to give them money without making them compromise on other things. If Google started forcing them to do bad things I don't have any doubt in my mind that Mozilla would rather refuse and not get paid, than to follow their demands.

Exactly my point. And even if they were to do so, their users would be gone faster than you could say "it had to be done."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

doesn't Google already own the internet?

Basically, but do you want to let them continue taking over how you access it? I hope not.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Basically, but do you want to let them continue taking over how you access it? I hope not.

Nawh, I do trust Google kinda :P

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

How has Android defined what we know to be a smartphone in terms of features and functionality when the iPhone was first and the original Android concept looked like a BlackBerry?

Wow you're just looking to be cynical. out of all that you choose to pick on that.

iOS launched and only had web apps no local apps, android launched the app store,

How homescreen folders work,

The whole all in one ecosystem with one account (on a phone(Blackberry had the ability to use multiple other systems but not much in proprietary)) 

widgets,

notification panel

quick settings

sharing

maps

multitasking,

hardware accelerated web browsing,

NFC.

This list could go on for ever.

when you look at this list think about it as how we know it today. The way that they're used today because you could argue that symbian had multitasking for years, but it was never active multitasking.

Maps for example have been on everything forever but not integrated and as easy to use or as functional as it is today.

The only thing I can think to give iOS is siri. and once again its as we know it, Voice control has been around for yonks but not that works like it does now.

and iPhone gave us the candybar formfactor (as we know it)

iPhone has come a long way from the tragic wreck it was when it launched, Simple fact is with each release it adopts more of the android way of doing things just without the intense fragmentation of hardware.

Google have seen the plus side of locking things down like apple have done and are starting to move in that direction. But for now they have the edge, When someone has the edge, watch them take the lead.

just look at AMD and Intel!

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Nawh, I do trust Google kinda :P

So even after reading the OP and the link on the second page...still?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So even after reading the OP and the link on the second page...still?

I didn't have time to read it, I probably should though

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival