The 8 core showdown and analysis thread.

ALXAndy

Lol are you mad? Maybe if you have a decent budget you'd afford it

Erm. Pardon? you seem to be awfully confused. This Xeon retails for £700. The AMD is £110.

As for a decent budget.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/175175-the-big-purple-monster/?hl=purple+monster

That's my rig there. Does it look like I can't afford it? lmao, I've got six rigs.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I got mine in the UK. There were two, but the other was Sandybridge so slightly slower. Make sure you check your board for compatability, check for the V2 Xeon (which are Ivy) and make sure you see one with 20mb cache as that indicates it can handle 8 cores.

Either that or study the Xeons a bit, and compare them with the ES. They're never quite the same but you can usually get a close match. Apparently Asrock are the best.

Edit. ES2 on these chips usually indicates V2, or Ivy. ES is Sandy.

Alright, on ebay all the xeon engineering samples are from the US

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Alright, on ebay all the xeon engineering samples are from the US

Bummer :( are you in the UK then?

There was a place in China selling the CPU I have. TBH I reckon the guy I got it off got it there. They're £210 though, and unless you're into low volts and so forth it's not worth that much IMO.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Bummer :( are you in the UK then?

There was a place in China selling the CPU I have. TBH I reckon the guy I got it off got it there. They're £210 though, and unless you're into low volts and so forth it's not worth that much IMO.

Yeah I live in the UK

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Ignore. Was a weird Xeon...

How do you confuse a complete fucking idiot?

890-3459890=u0jn[-0843589890-348750-

An idiot that have the best job in the world  ;)

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

Like I havent been pointing this out only to be told by intel fanboys how dota 2 plays so well on thier dual core...
great review and writeup, ive got a billion screenshots of cpu usage in my "stuff" gallery proving as much,NO you will not get better performance, but youll have cpu threads free to do other things in the background. may have to look for a xeon myself in any case.

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

Far Cry 3 may use the same engine as Crysis 3

ehh, i think that's a very big typo you have there AFAIK, crysis 3 runs on cryengine while FC3 runs on duna, very different engines

nice review none the less, also kind of ridicules how the xeon got beaten in performance, though for using that much at idle, its amazing

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Still not bad showing for the FX :P

Im still happy with my FX8350 which can run 4.8ghz on 1.44V stable, i got one from before the FX9000 bindings.

For Virtualization that AMD architecture is so damm nice.

But yeah a 8 core xeon will be nice aswell for Virtualization.

Next week i will replace my mobo for the Asus crosshair V Formula Z. :D

Still fun to see that all the 8 cores 16 Threads of the Xeon exaly get used in the game.

Now i´m getting a bit currious because i´m running Windows 7 as main OS., would Windows 8.x realy be an improvement for multicore cpu´s?

I run windows 8 in a virtual machine with 2 cores, and it runs like a champ.

Hmm never realy thought about that..

I have readed some articles about it, Windows 8 with improved scheduler over windows 7, which would be a positive effect for AMD FX cpu´s, but they still haven´t convinced me, cause i hate the god game windows 8.x ui.

I know that in Linux the AMD FX8350 realy runs great

This could make cpus like the opteron 3280 a good choice for budget gaming. 8 cores at 2.4ghz for the same price as a 760k, and am3+.

Still not bad showing for the FX :P

Im still happy with my FX8350 which can run 4.8ghz on 1.44V stable, i got one from before the FX9000 bindings.

For Virtualization that AMD architecture is so damm nice.

But yeah a 8 core xeon will be nice aswell for Virtualization.

Next week i will replace my mobo for the Asus crosshair V Formula Z. :D

Still fun to see that all the 8 cores 16 Threads of the Xeon exaly get used in the game.

Now i´m getting a bit currious because i´m running Windows 7 as main OS., would Windows 8.x realy be an improvement for multicore cpu´s?

I run windows 8 in a virtual machine with 2 cores, and it runs like a champ.

Hmm never realy thought about that..

I have readed some articles about it, Windows 8 with improved scheduler over windows 7, which would be a positive effect for AMD FX cpu´s, but they still haven´t convinced me, cause i hate the god game windows 8.x ui.

I know that in Linux the AMD FX8350 realy runs great

Windows 7 got along fine at the beginning because at the time it launched CPUs like the quad core I7 920 were king, with many people still using core 2 duos and quads. However, at that time it was mostly 2 core support and thus the OS did fine. It was never coded to thread and use more than 4 cores, not properly at a kernel level.

When BF3 came out the problem with the OS became apparent. People were complaining that by using Hyperthreading on their I7 that performance was actually worse than on an I5. The issue was explained as core parking. Basically the OS was not using certain parts of the CPU properly, thus, cores were going lame. The fix? a bodge to park the cores. A bodge never truly makes something work properly, hence why the AMD FX CPUs were always derped on Windows 7. Microsoft made a patch for it, then pulled the patch because it was flaky.

With Windows 8 AMD spent a lot of time talking to Microsoft to make sure the FX CPUs would work properly. They now do. Thus, if you are running anything more than 4 cores and you want it to work properly without hacking bodging or patching then simply switch to Windows 8.

Lots of games and apps run far better in Windows 8. There was also an issue with 7 where the FX CPUs would basically dump their cache mid operation causing lags. It never truly worked properly on AMD.

So yeah, basically Windows 8 was a lot more than just that awful horrible Metro rubbish. Massive portions of the kernel were completely written. AMD did it basically by getting Microsoft using their CPUs for the Xbone. That was where it all started tbh, and why it's more a case of luck than game devs actually wanting their games to run great on a PC.

It's sad to see the xeon be nerfed so hard by the ultra low clock speed. It would be much more expensive than the 8320 normally, too, which means it isn't a great option in general. If it had even just double that clock speed (which it is most certainly capable of) it would destroy the 8320 as any cpu that is so expensive should. Very interesting post anyway, great job :D

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

It's sad to see the xeon be nerfed so hard by the ultra low clock speed. It would be much more expensive than the 8320 normally, too, which means it isn't a great option in general. If it had even just double that clock speed (which it is most certainly capable of) it would destroy the 8320 as any cpu that is so expensive should. Very interesting post anyway, great job :D

Oh I've had it all since I posted this thread. "Clock the AMD to 2ghz, then run the tests again" blah blah blah. This *IS* Intel's 8 core CPU. The clock speed is their choosing, not mine. This is what you get for £700 and more, but hey Intel are great and they rule etc etc.

This thread does so many things and answers so many questions that it's not even funny. A £100 AMD CPU should not even be able to beg at the heels of a £700 Intel yet it conclusively beat it in every test I ran, only losing in one and by about 3 frames per second.

This is why AMD are still in business. Because any one with an ounce of intelligence can see what is happening here. £100 CPU gives £700 a bloody nose. And then I had "Well the AMD doesn't come out of the box with that clock". Nope, sure doesn't but for £150 you can get one with a stock clock of 5ghz lmao.

Dear oh dear.

Looking at these results, only one thing went through my head: How raped would the AMD be if the Intel chip had the same clock?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

nooo I'll just rather keep on going like this

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

Looking at these results, only one thing went through my head: How raped would the AMD be if the Intel chip had the same clock?

But it doesn't.

And nothing can be done to change it. God bless Intel.

But it doesn't.

And nothing can be done to change it. God bless Intel.

Haswell-E?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Oh I've had it all since I posted this thread. "Clock the AMD to 2ghz, then run the tests again" blah blah blah. This *IS* Intel's 8 core CPU. The clock speed is their choosing, not mine. This is what you get for £700 and more, but hey Intel are great and they rule etc etc.

This thread does so many things and answers so many questions that it's not even funny. A £100 AMD CPU should not even be able to beg at the heels of a £700 Intel yet it conclusively beat it in every test I ran, only losing in one and by about 3 frames per second.

This is why AMD are still in business. Because any one with an ounce of intelligence can see what is happening here. £100 CPU gives £700 a bloody nose. And then I had "Well the AMD doesn't come out of the box with that clock". Nope, sure doesn't but for £150 you can get one with a stock clock of 5ghz lmao.

Dear oh dear.

So much truth in this ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So much truth in this ^^

Indeed, but sadly most people won't realize it. I'm not a fanboy, but I can't understand the hate towards AMD. People are surprised that when they compare a €300 i7 4770k to a €126 AMD FX 8320 the i7 gets ahead? I can fry an FX 8320, buy a new one, and still have enough money left to buy a Hyper 212 EVO. What I'm trying to say is: Intel delivers best performance, AMD best price/performance. 

All that aside, very nice test OP, you've put a lot of effort in it. Topic deserves a sticky imo.

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

.Too bad it there was no 4790 in the mix to compare a middle point. I guess i will look for the 4790 scores on the web

nice review, im actually impress with RAGE using so many cores, what other games are using that engine?

FYI on Intel Engineering sample chips - they are NOT production chips, but samples only. They may or may not work as expected, at the frequencies claimed, utilize all cache, etc. Also, unless you are provided one by Intel, typically to OEM's for testing, it is illegal to own or buy/sell these samples. Yes, you see em for sale on Ebay - but technically it is illegal. The ones from China, I highly suspected are NOT true Intel ES chips, but simply stamped as such...

Just some info for those not aware...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Still i like those tests. :)

Maybe i gonne switch to windows 8.1, i got tons of iso´s laying arround so yeah

But, we can clearly see that the "Four cores is enough" argument belongs where it should be left; in 2010. Things have changed, consoles have changed, the ports over to PC have changed.

Before I explain your errors;

U9B2F5X.png

Open prime95, you see in resource monitor the UI takes 4 threads and they barely use anything of the cpu, give 4 workers in for example like I did above, so in total 8 threads since the ui threads barely take anything just forget about them and we have 4 threads to deal with. 4 threads meaning that they only can be executed on 4 cores at the same time nothing more but taskmanager showed loads on every core there because threads are switching rapidly from cores and Windows logs this. It's tricking you that's all.

Another point; taskmanager calculates the cpu usage complety differently as you can see 50% load when I only stressed 4 cores of the 12 available but as you notice the process is only taking 33% of the CPU. Have a look at the maximum frequency which is 137% so 50/137% -> 33% cpu load which equals what prime95 actually uses since its the only process that actually used something of the CPU.

Q21Prm6.png

Doing now with all 12 threads, total cpu usage 137%? Got the point?

No surprise. I've tested BF3 on the AMD and it wanted at least six cores with residual load over anything more.

Nope, 4. Made the CPU hit its limit here;

Showing us some core loads means nothing if the engine is on 4 threads that was switched through all of your cores, and the trashthreads you could chunk them all to one core and it wouldn't cause any performance loss. Testing should have done like I've done for BF3, no offensive but not like this lol :P

Another flaw I found, in Crysis 3 you made the GPU hitting its limit making the CPU wait on the GPU thats why the loads have been very low. If you'd look at this video, his 3770K was running at 84% and the gpu's around 50/50/50% load he used some program which made the CPU hit 100% and the gpu's were moved from 50 to 70% each giving a 30 fps gain.

Don't forget this, even if the game takes advantage (meaning more performance) of more than 4 cores, there's no lineair scaling going on for example I found in WD that 4 cores gave 60 fps and with all cores just a silly 15% gain (pure cpu bound scenario avoiding gpu cap). Here's the video; youtube.com/watch?v=A-ipzwdtGyE

Parallelism will be always crap in games, it's about how well it is multithreaded not just only about how much, games will never magically saturate 8 threads to make AMD somehow equal to Intel i5's/i7's. 

@Faa I was waiting for you to enter the conversation

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."