You won't need an Xbox Live Gold Membership to make use of EA Access

Gunzkewl

"When it launches, any Xbox One gamer can join EA Access and take advantage of the benefits of membership. In order to connect to multiplayer gameplay on the Xbox One platform you will need a subscription to Xbox Gold," EA explained.

While we don't know exactly when the service will launch, EA has assured us it'll be "soon".

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/04/ea-access-wont-require-xbox-live-gold-subscription?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

I didn't expect that from Microsoft and EA

That doesnt seem any different then stuff like GF, not a shocker.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Well this is a joke.  Yeah you won't need an Xbox Live Gold membership to do some things but if the games have multiplayer you can't use it withouy Xbox Live Gold.  So what is the big plus here?  Did the OP post this just to show us that MS and EA are giving us nothing extra really? 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well this is a joke. Yeah you won't need an Xbox Live Gold membership to do some things but if the games have multiplayer you can't use it withouy Xbox Live Gold. So what is the big plus here? Did the OP post this just to show us that MS and EA are giving us nothing extra really?

it means people who don't play Multiplayer can still access this without paying extra for something they don't need IE gold.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

it means people who don't play Multiplayer can still access this without paying extra for something they don't need IE gold.

I understand that but to me no big deal. I expected that at the very least. There is no surprise with this.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

GOld and Sony + are a joke.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

GOld and Sony + are a joke.

With my PS+ subscription since June (e3'ish timeframe), I gained more than $5 worth of games each month.  I suppose somewhere in that statement is a hilarious punch-line that I do not see since you refer to it as a joke.

With my PS+ subscription since June (e3'ish timeframe), I gained more than $5 worth of games each month.  I suppose somewhere in that statement is a hilarious punch-line that I do not see since you refer to it as a joke.

$5 worth of games a month is crap. Everyone on Steam (which is free) gets many free games every month. Probably 10 throughout the month. Not counting all the free-to-play games on Steam that are great games such as TF2, PS2, Black Light and so on the. Besides what exactly are you paying for when you pay every month so you can get access to the internet. It should be free there is no excuse to pay for it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

$5 worth of games a month is crap. Everyone on Steam (which is free) gets many free games every month. Probably 10 throughout the month. Not counting all the free-to-play games on Steam that are great games such as TF2, PS2, Black Light and so on the. Besides what exactly are you paying for when you pay every month so you can get access to the internet. It should be free there is no excuse to pay for it.

What are you talking about? I use Steam and I've never seen anything about 10 free games a month? I remember that one time many years ago when Valve was giving away Portal completely free of charge for a week and allowed you to keep it forever. EA's Origin has a promotion called On The House where they allow you to claim a featured game for free to keep forever. But 10 free games a month?

I'm also no fan of Sony or the Playstation but no, PS+ should not be free. There are in fact actual costs incurred to operate the service and you aren't just paying for access to the Internet with PS+.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

What are you talking about? I use Steam and I've never seen anything about 10 free games a month? I remember that one time many years ago when Valve was giving away Portal completely free of charge for a week and allowed you to keep it forever. EA's Origin has a promotion called On The House where they allow you to claim a featured game for free to keep forever. But 10 free games a month?

I'm also no fan of Sony or the Playstation but no, PS+ should not be free. There are in fact actual costs incurred to operate the service and you aren't just paying for access to the Internet with PS+.

Sure, MS and Sony make bank off their sub fees but lets be honest; running the backends that both services use is NOT cheap. Valve has nothing close to the content delivery network that Sony and MS have set up to run their respective services. Hell, MS probably spends what Valve is worth on keeping Azure up and running (and they make a lotta bank of that, given how its open for anyone to use; even Sony). 

If Valve had the same CDN with the same online infrastructure, they'd probably have to recover the costs somehow. 

And free games ≠ quality games, which is what Steam fanboys seem to think. just cause Steam has free stuff doesn't mean its worth having. Same applies to XBL and PSN+. But its Steam, no one shits on Steam. They get a pass on anything they do. 

PSN+ actually offers hefty discounts on content and games, so it has some value if you use it a lot. XBL isn't quite there yet.

Back to OP, this is good news for those that just use solo/split screen local play and want nothing else. How can you possibly shit on this? Oh wait, because its EA and MS. Let the circlejerk continue...

I think you completely missed his point. PS+ comes out to under $5 per month. The games Sony gives subscribers every month are worth more than that. Sony isn't giving people free-to-play crap either, it's all actual paid games. Valve has free weekends and the very rare free title but you can't really compare the two.

The fact that we have gotten to a point where people expect that you would have to is the real joke here IMHO.

You don't own them the moment you stop paying for PS+ you loose those games.

There is no reason why you would need to pay sony $50 a year for an online service when they aren't even providing servers.

RTX2070OC 

You don't own them the moment you stop paying for PS+ you loose those games.

There is no reason why you would need to pay sony $50 a year for an online service when they aren't even providing servers.

You are very correct on this point.  I know my counter-argument is slightly weak, but it's the fact that I won't be playing those games a year from now.  But indeed, we are just "renting" these games, although it is multiple games on multiple systems for a year (or whatever is remaining on the PS+ subscription).

Also, I prefer to play Crysis 3 on PC, as with all FPS shooters (and most games as a matter of fact), but Crysis 3 is free* right now.  Surely there is some value in that for some people.

I think you completely missed his point. PS+ comes out to under $5 per month. The games Sony gives subscribers every month are worth more than that. Sony isn't giving people free-to-play crap either, it's all actual paid games. Valve has free weekends and the very rare free title but you can't really compare the two.

I understand what he means but what I meant was that on Steam you don't have to pay for many games. And not all the free-to-play games on Steam are sh*t. Most of them are but there are plenty that are just great games. Also what I don't understand mostly is why the hell you have to pay for internet access on both consoles. You already pay for internet access so why do you have to pay again. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Your generation summed-up in a nutshell.

Yes my generation. They aren't free if you have to pay monthly for them.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Really, I see every week at least a few games that are free for a few days in my Library and I also get games like Dota and some others in my library. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I don't need either to play games on my PC.

Winning.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Really, I see every week at least a few games that are free for a few days in my Library and I also get games like Dota and some others in my library. 

Those are "free weekends" where you get to play the game for about 2 days then that's it. It's just a time-limited trial of the full game. Dota is a free-to-play game.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I understand what he means but what I meant was that on Steam you don't have to pay for many games. And not all the free-to-play games on Steam are sh*t. Most of them are but there are plenty that are just great games. Also what I don't understand mostly is why the hell you have to pay for internet access on both consoles. You already pay for internet access so why do you have to pay again. 

I was paying for PS+ before the PS4 was even announced so personally I don't look at it as paying for online. For me it's a way to have something new to play every single month across two different platforms. I don't even play games online that often so the paying for online part of plus doesn't even factor into the value of it. That said, the online experience on the PS4 is miles better than the PS3 especially using the store and downloading things. Sony still needs to get pre-loads working on the PS4 though.

I haven't found any really good free-to-play games but I don't particularly like MMOs or competitive multiplayer so that pretty much cuts out almost all of them for me.

Those are "free weekends" where you get to play the game for about 2 days then that's it. It's just a time-limited trial of the full game. Dota is a free-to-play game.

Yea I know but it means you get to try out lots of different genres for free, no charges at all. You also have a huge library of free games on the internet that are not on Steam. If you wanted to you can never pay fro a game ever. When I was younger and didn't have a job I literally only played free-to play games, or games that are really old and went free through open source. In-fact most of the games that are played today are free-to-play. The most played game is LOL and that is free and only on PC. If devs came out and started porting their free games onto the two consoles I think that would be better but you still have that monthly subscription that I am not happy about. I think what I am getting at is that consoles are sh*t. PCMasterRace.

Oh yea and I found a nice video if you want to watch. It's Elite Dangerous, it's pretty cool.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I was paying for PS+ before the PS4 was even announced so personally I don't look at it as paying for online. For me it's a way to have something new to play every single month across two different platforms. I don't even play games online that often so the paying for online part of plus doesn't even factor into the value of it. That said, the online experience on the PS4 is miles better than the PS3 especially using the store and downloading things. Sony still needs to get pre-loads working on the PS4 though.

I haven't found any really good free-to-play games but I don't particularly like MMOs or competitive multiplayer so that pretty much cuts out almost all of them for me.

There are plenty of free open source games. They are old but they are great. In-fact there was a game out awile ago that was completely free and had modern graphics. Google open source games and you will come up with a bunch of really good games.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I understand that but to me no big deal. I expected that at the very least. There is no surprise with this.

its the xbox platform, previously you couldn't even digitally download free to play single player games without live.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."