EA CTO Claims Next Gen Consoles Are a Generation Ahead of the Best PC, Starts New Comedy Career

The new console generation led by Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 are ahead of the highest end PC on the market, according to EA CTO Rajat Teneja in a post written on LinkedIn.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/23/4358396/xbox-one-and-ps4-are-a-generation-ahead-of-the-best-pc-says-ea-cto

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

Of course they will be... that's why they will cost as much as a GTX 780 alone costs now... "-.-

Current Rig:    AMD FX 8350 @ 4.3GHz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Edition | ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z | ASUS AMD Radeon HD7950 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1866MHz RAM

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 Watt PSU | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | ASUS DVD Writer | CM Storm Trooper Windowed Edition

Peripherals:    BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro | Func MS3 | Steelseries QcK | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown (on release)

Consoles set the standard then 1 year after consoles been released big jump, and bam consoles already obsulute pretty much.

How do they set a standard when they're already outdated before launch?

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

They do because games primarly build around consoles, then ported to pc how can you not known this ?

This has changed with Ubisoft. PC will be their primary platform for development.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They do because games primarly build around consoles, then ported to pc how can you not known this ?

Too bad that doesn't apply to all games.

What you're saying really only applies the Call of Duties and such.

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

They just say that to make pc gamers happy.

Which is just marketing tactic that almost anyone uses.

Watch Dogs and Last Light say hello.

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

They just say that to make pc gamers happy.

Which is just marketing tactic that almost anyone uses.

I guess time will tell.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What ever this guy is smoking, I want some. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

The new console generation led by Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 are ahead of the highest end PC on the market, according to EA CTO Rajat Teneja in a post written on LinkedIn.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/23/4358396/xbox-one-and-ps4-are-a-generation-ahead-of-the-best-pc-says-ea-cto

That's not exactly what he said. He said the architecture is a generation ahead of PC's. With that said, this guy made an interesting point.

dagamer34

Actually, he’s not talking purely out if his ass. At first, I assumed he was, but the largest bottleneck in PC gaming is trying to move any massive amount of data between the CPU and GPU over the PCI-Express bus. There are just certain things you cannot do because you waste too much time copying data between system RAM and video RAM. No PC today has this kind of System on Chip design.

GPUs have a ton of compute power, but it’s just for pretty stuff. For example, the PhysX extras in Borderlands 2 on PC do not affect gameplay (would require sending that data back to the CPU).

He’s not as out of his mind as you think. This stuff is NOT just about reading some numbers on a spec sheet and declaring a winner.

I am no expert but this made some sense to me. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

That's not exactly what he said. He said the architecture is a generation ahead of PC's. With that said, this guy made an interesting point.

It is what he said. If you read the title or the quote I used neither specify what he meant about them being a generation a head of the PCs.

By reading the article you would learn what he meant. 

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

It is what he said. If you read the title or the quote I used neither specify what he meant about them being a generation a head of the PCs.

By reading the article you would learn what he meant. 

Which article? The one you referenced or the one he wrote on his linked in page. I haven't read the linkedin one yet. The one you posted isn't very clear and no major conclusions can be taken from it. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

What I meant was that you wouldn't know what he is referring to if you don't read the article. What he means by saying consoles are ahead of PC is the architectures, not how games will look graphically.

"These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market," wrote Teneja, a former employee of Microsoft.

But the moment he mentions Ignite I was unable to take him seriously, hence the "comedy career" jab in the thread title.

I shouldn't have to explain this  :P

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

What I meant was that you wouldn't know what he is referring to if you don't read the article. What he means by saying consoles are ahead of PC is the architectures, not how games will look graphically.

But the moment he mentions Ignite I was unable to take him seriously, hence the "comedy career" jab in the thread title.

I shouldn't have to explain this :P

yes you do. you defamed a very smart man because of an article by some 20 year old retarded journalist wrote. journalism is all about skewing the facts and mis-quoting in order to provide the most sensational view and interpretation. this journalist shouldn't have been given the time of day to read this, because their own personal mis-interpretation of someone is silly because of the factual and absolute manner in which they commented on with their own bias remarks.

edit: i agree, pc's are more powerful than the newest consoles. but thats a raw spec datasheet. you can't account for things like operating system, new architecture etc. his comments are saying that it is new and better because of the sum of the parts, and i would tend to agree. for a system to not waste time with transfering data from vram to system ram, through a pcie interface, back through that pcie interface. it's just logical.

It all begins with the raw horsepower of the platform which catalyzes the imagination and will power the next wave of innovation in entertainment. Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles. These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics. Our benchmarks on just the video and audio performance are 8-10 times superior to the current gen. The compute capabilities of these platforms and the data transfer speeds we can now bank on, essentially removes any notion of rationing of systems resources for our game engines. Yesterday, we introduced the new EA SPORTS IGNITE engine. We also announced the next generation of our Frostbite engine which powers many of our titles including Battlefield and Need For Speed. Both these engines have been tailored to take full advantage of the new capabilities of the Xbox One and PS4. For a first-person shooter game like Battlefield 4, this means even more detailed gameplay, behavior and awareness for characters and more detailed appearance down to the lighting and clothing on the soldiers. EA SPORTS gamers will experience true motion with pivoting, side stepping, step based locomotion and bio mechanics that account for mass, center of gravity and momentum; human intelligence that simulate instincts, awareness and unpredictability that’s more like real-life sport.

that is the complete quote. and yes, the architecture is much more efficient (by design) than current pc's. WHY? because there are majorly redundant parts that still exist on the pc that just shouldn't have to.

why do we still have ram thats not on-die? why do we still have seperate memory banks for cpu's and gpu's when we're at the point that we can just share it for quicker data transfers? i'm not talking about raw transfer, but reduced latency, shorter paths, etc. we have memresistor technology and the potential for parralelism greater than you can imagine. by integrating everything onto the same die, removing seperate "ram", and sharing the information with fewer points in between you get a BETTER ARCHITECTURE.

So this cto saying that console architecture is a step ahead is not far reaching at all (at least for the ps4). because think about it. a whole physical part has been removed from the equation while sacrificing nothing. obviously it is more efficient than the ps3, and has fewer operating parts than a pc. achieving same (or similar) performance while operating with fewer parts is better design. they just haven't made the consoles more powerful because of things like market demand, total cost, etc.

edit: the cto already goes on to say other factors than raw hardware that contributes to better performance. of course a 3000$ pc will be more powerful right now. but a 500$ one won't.

things like: a dedicated Os, software optimized for specific hardware, fewer physical operating pieces, years of development for one specific thing all take account to making a better system. and yes, within a year or 2 that will be redundant. it is the why computing works but as of now the new consoles bring new technology into play that improves the experience for everyone.

yes you do. you defamed a very smart man because of an article by some 20 year old retarded journalist wrote. journalism is all about skewing the facts and mis-quoting in order to provide the most sensational view and interpretation.

I reposted an article, and did nothing more than state I could not take him serious after a comment he made about a new game engine and current game engine. 

It is up to the thread viewer to actually read the article and then the LinkedIn post if they desire.

Don't get your panties in a bundle. I did NOTHING to defame anyone.

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

I reposted an article, and did nothing more than state I could not take him serious after a comment about a new game engine and current game engine. 

It is up to the thread viewer to actually read the article and then the LinkedIn post if they desire.

Don't get your panties in a bundle. I did NOTHING to defame anyone.

giving the journalist the time of day and posting an article that is nothing more than their own opinion is making someone look worse than they actually are.

just post the article to linkedin and leave it at that. emily gera has freely admitted personal bias in the past, and thats because of friends that are on the inside. why would that person be trusted to not mis-quote a man to give viewers a flawed look into someones personal opinion.

i'm not saying you are wrong, i'm saying she is wrong, and we should not let her get publicity.

I actually did not know that about the writer. 

I personally do not pay too much attention gaming journalists or their history.  

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

i agree the tech is a generation ahead however the performance would  not be ahead 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

I actually did not know that about the writer. 

I personally do not pay too much attention gaming journalists or their history.  

her boyfriend works in the industry so that skews all her reports in my head.

her boyfriend works in the industry so that skews all her reports in my head.

ick, ew

yeah I won't link her stuff ever again 

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

Makes me laugh how these people get so high up in these companies obviously not knowing anything about hardware.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

that depends from dev to dev

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

my opinion on this:

tumblr_ltt9bnozEB1qj74sxo1_500.gif

ea need to think before they speak... or walk out the door

Character artist in the Games industry.