EA CTO Claims Next Gen Consoles Are a Generation Ahead of the Best PC, Starts New Comedy Career

Every dev knowns you can't survive from doing pc games only unless your blizzard and make a mmo.

lol

ok 

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

generation ahead or not.....speed and graphics speak for themselves.  These so called next gen consoles can't touch high end pc's

Wow... What is with this statement? How could he even dream of saying that?

Ok. So maybe the architecture IS 'ahead' of current PCs. But even if the consoles are 'ahead' of the PCs, they will be slower. You can spend £10k on (quote:) "the highest end PC" and the actual performance numbers will be miles ahead of what you would get on the consoles. It doesn't matter if the architectures are more modern. If it still means that the consoles will be worse than even a mid range or probably low-end gaming PC, why would you bother?

In my opinion, this guy is talking a load of crap.

"these architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market.

"Our benchmarks on just the video and audio performance are 8-10 times superior to the current gen," ... "The compute capabilities of these platforms and the data transfer speeds we can now bank on, essentially removes any notion of rationing of systems resources for our game engines." 

"We'll really start to see more examples of true cross-device play,"... "Sony showed off the ability through their cloud gaming functionality to allow gamers to play high-end console titles on the handheld Vita product. The architecture of both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 present more opportunities to take your game from TV to smartphone to PC, with seamless ubiquity and experience gaming at any time, in any way on any device."

Yeah...right...I'm totally buying this...

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-PS4-Generation-Ahead-Gaming-PCs-Says-EA-56013.htm

jiFfM.jpg

I probably didn't even have to mention the company in the title for you to guess which one was behind this terrible PR speak...

*sigh* Good job once again EA...

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz | GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) | SDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 3 Western Digital 1TB  Hard Drives | PSU:Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid-Tower

linus-meme-6.jpg

^ All I can say to this failfish.png

He is probably using Apple products.. That's why he thinks that.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

In his LinkedIn post he says the next gen consoles are 8 to 10 times more poweful than the current gen consoles... I wonder how accurate that is.

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

Every dev knowns you can't survive from doing pc games only unless your blizzard and make a mmo.

*Cough* CD Projekt RED

High end gaming rigs will still beat the consoles. I don't know what the person is thinking.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

But they're not becoming exclusives for the PS4???

And The Witcher 2 has been out for a while, why would it be coming to the PS4?

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

But they're not becoming exclusives for the PS4???

And The Witcher 2 has been out for a while, why would it be coming to the PS4?

So that they can turn round and say that a console can play the game? Haha. Most demanding game EVER.... Jeeez. a single 7970 gets around 20fps at 3240x1920. Haha.

Anyways, after re-reading the article, I am baffled as to how this person believed a console has better performance by 8-10 times? Is he saying that a 7970 or a Titan with approximately 300GB/s of bandwidth is 8-10 times slower than the new consoles which have something like 80 and 170GB/s of bandwidth. Wow... I take back my comment of 'the architecture may be ahead but the actual performance is not' and replace it with: this guy is off his head. That architecture may well be ahead, but it means sweet F all if it's ahead but slower.

He's saying that the new systems are 8 to 10 times more powerful than the current consoles, not PC afaik.

What he truly meant was that that architecture is a gen ahead of PCs or something like that.

OSX/WiiU/XO/PS4/PS3/N3DS

He's saying that the new systems are 8 to 10 times more powerful than the current consoles, not PC afaik.

What he truly meant was that that architecture is a gen ahead of PCs or something like that.

Yeah, I think many people are misunderstanding that part (including me at first glance).

His statement about PC is correct but is IRL completely pointless. Sure the architecture is a "generation ahead" but the performance is better on the PC side and these console will still be considerably new by the time this "next generation of PC architecture" is in use. That said, I think everybody is making too much of a fuss about this, it's just a play of words for the sake of PR, maybe or maybe not without the intention of starting such controversy with the journalists not helping by taking quotes out of context.

Yeah, I think many people are misunderstanding that part (including me at first glance).

His statement about PC is correct but is IRL completely pointless. Sure the architecture is a "generation ahead" but the performance is better on the PC side and these console will still be considerably new by the time this "next generation of PC architecture" is in use. That said, I think everybody is making too much of a fuss about this, it's just a play of words for the sake of PR, maybe or maybe not without the intention of starting such controversy with the journalists not helping by taking quotes out of context.

not completely pointless at all.

pioneering leads to more pioneering. do you really want so many parts to be used just for a gaming rig forever? the ps4 removes the whole vram, system ram, redundancy and simply uses 8 gigs of system ram. to be honest we don't need ram at all with the speed of flash and current pcie interface technology. we could achieve speeds near ddr3 easily and only have one set of memory shared by the cpu and gpu (with no storage drive. it is all stored right there in the "memory").

them pioneering system architecture is only helping move computing technology forward. it doesn't matter if a currently more powerful solution is available. when flourescent lighting came along it was no where near the traditional lighting we had. the light level outputs simply weren't there. but it was new and a better design, so they eventually got enough power out of it and now they can be 100x brighter.

They do because games primarly build around consoles, then ported to pc how can you not known this ?

they develop for consoles first because that's where the money is, consoles are not a generation ahead of MY PC and I've only got crossfire 6870s. 

thats not what i meant, i meant not every dev makes the console game then ports to pc or vise versa 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market.

This statement hurt my brain.

The next gen consoles won't be out for several more months and by the time they do release, their "generation ahead architecture" claim will be null and void since the PC will also have it as well.

At least he had the mind not to compare them in terms of performance or else he's position as CTO would be put into question.

Yeah  I just read this and I was like, OMGWTF LOLOL.

Seriously, who is this guy?

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Still keep in mind, hes talking about the architect not the performance.... and cutting down the amount of "jumps" the information needs to travel is good. Would it not be good if we could have two sockets on our mobos, 1 for the CPU and 1 for the GPU and they shared the same ram? This way the information dont have to be buffered and collected several times for the same result. Well in my eyes the architect of the new consoles will help the PC market in the future due to this.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

PS4 and Xbox will be very optimized and efficient.
Its like having high end APU PC. If you have faster ram, you will get more performance. So i think soon we wont have dedicated graphic cards anymore. And we will also not need it, since Euclideon technology is coming up that uses only CPU to render points ( not polygons ). Actually its allready here, it will be on PS4 and on Xbox one.... sooo... yeah. No more polygons :)

#EDIT I forgot some proof and info.. so there you go. The future of gaming. No polygons. GPU used only for shading/litening/physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj4QPVToevU

PS4 and Xbox will be very optimized and efficient.

Its like having high end APU PC. If you have faster ram, you will get more performance. So i think soon we wont have dedicated graphic cards anymore. And we will also not need it, since Euclideon technology is coming up that uses only CPU to render points ( not polygons ). Actually its allready here, it will be on PS4 and on Xbox one.... sooo... yeah. No more polygons :)

Yay no more polygons, those triangle bitches let them burn! :D

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

Yay no more polygons, those triangle bitches let them burn! :D

Oorah!