TOXIKK - "Frag like it's 1999" A PC only Arena FPS Announced

Damikiller37

I am highly interested in this! Even considering pre-ordering...for $15 you can't exactly go wrong there...

I'm tempted, really tempted.

Guess you don't play Counter Strike huh?

If you don't buy this game, I will buy it for you.  Games like these must thrive!

This is cool and all,, but let's be perfectly honest here: The reason why those style of games died out is because there's no progression, and there's no real reason for someone to keep playing it again and again.. Once you've played it, it's done, and there's nothing new to go back to. 

As much as I hate the CoD/BF style "release a game every year with a thousand different attachments, upgrades, and other junk", one of the biggest things that causes people to keep playing is feeding them with rewards for their play.. If someone sees that they can unlock [this new item] if they keep playing longer, they're most likely going to keep playing until they have all the items unlocked.

Tell that to the 100,000+ people playing CS

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Gotcha, and actually that kind of level of "gunplay" did exist back then with the shotguns which had a slow fire rate, the rocket launchers which had a slow projectile speed and medium fire rate and the grenade launcher type which had both a slow projectile speed AND a short ballistic trajectory that needed to be adjusted for. That combined with clever map design (putting the most powerful weapons like railguns on the most exposed parts of the map like choke points) had the same effect as the reload mechanics from newer games, except it kept the pace fast and frantic which I love and do miss vs modern military shooters.

yeah, I see what you mean. Having never played the old-school Quake and Unreal games, I dont have a huge amount of knowledge concerning those except for game play I have seen. I was making a suggestion as a person who has played all the Halos and the PC version of Halo CE. What you described there though actually is kinda a thing in halo 3 where the power weapons were at the chokes or central points of the map. Slow shotgun firing speeds is a thing too and slow moving rockets. But all the games still have reloading. I guess it is just more layers of the game to have to account for thats all.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Tell that to the 100,000+ people playing CS

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

And how many people play CoD or Battlefield? 

BTW, I'm not saying that I like CoD, nor am I saying that I like that style of game. All I'm doing is pointing out that the majority of arena shooters died out because vastly more average people choose to play, and -importantly- continue playing, games that offer them flashy achievements and unlocks every two minutes..

There's no doubt that this is a cool comeback to the way games were (and I'll probably end up buying it), but I personally don't expect this to be amazingly successful in the long run. That being said, we'll just have to wait and see how it does.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

And how many people play CoD or Battlefield? 

BTW, I'm not saying that I like CoD, nor am I saying that I like that style of game. All I'm doing is pointing out that the majority of arena shooters died out because vastly more average people choose to play, and -importantly- continue playing, games that offer them flashy achievements and unlocks every two minutes..

There's no doubt that this is a cool comeback to the way games were (and I'll probably end up buying it), but I personally don't expect this to be amazingly successful in the long run. That being said, we'll just have to wait and see how it does.

Can't really disagree with you there. CoD and BF both squash CS, but the amount of people playing CS does show that there is a market for people who don't care about the flare.

As you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

nice niiiiiice!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I don't know if I'm a big fan of this, gaming has evolved for a reason. Although I agree with some of the stuff their doing, things like no iron sights aiming seems a bit of a step backwards.

Still I'm looking forward to seeing more of it

Counter Strike is really popular. ADS on only a few guns and it is even more skill based.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

The HUD is going to need to work. Maybe use a little less red for player models, but that doesn't really matter too much.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Counter Strike is really popular. ADS on only a few guns and it is even more skill based.

Yep.

Buttttttttttttttttt who needs skill when you're playing BF or COD?

Still adjusting to CS from BF.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Yep.

Buttttttttttttttttt who needs skill when you're playing BF or COD?

Still adjusting to CS from BF.

Welcome to the true fps, Battlefield for me is a better benchmark than it is a game.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

If you don't buy this game, I will buy it for you.  Games like these must thrive!

Haha, thanks for the offer, but I'm really torn with my whole philosophy of "Never pre-order" and "Never buy Early Access", which this game is doing both.

Might make an exception...I'm gonna see if some of my friends want to do the 4-pack and split the costs first before deciding!

I play a lot of CSGO, and it is indeed very skill based, more tactical skill then gun skill but still, but the lack of ADS still is rather old fashioned imo.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Just looks like halo. I'm pretty sure some of those maps were ripped right out of it. Not that there is anything wrong with it being halo. I'm cool with that.

Welcome to the true fps, Battlefield for me is a better benchmark than it is a game.

Wat do you mean by true? Gunplay in CS is one of the most unrealistic I've ever seen and played.

But learning silly mechanics by heart doesn't remove skill from it though.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Wat do you mean by true? Gunplay in CS is one of the most unrealistic I've ever seen and played.

But learning silly mechanics by heart doesn't remove skill from it though.

How's the gunplay unrealistic? Flanking, rotation, smoke clouds, flash bangs, and extremely damaging head shots makes it very realistic.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I play a lot of CSGO, and it is indeed very skill based, more tactical skill then gun skill but still, but the lack of ADS still is rather old fashioned imo.

If there's no ADS then what do you think about this game?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

If there's no ADS then what do you think about this game?

As I said, I think the lack of ADS is old fashioned and a bit of a step backwards, I'm not saying BF4 and games a like are much better, but they are stepping forward with stuff like ADS, eventhough their current gameplay is a bit less skill based it seems. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

How's the gunplay unrealistic? Flanking, rotation, smoke clouds, flash bangs, and extremely damaging head shots makes it very realistic.

Well those are fine, and I'm not hating the game but I'll say some.

Well guns with the same calibre do different amounts of damage, crouching is bad on cs, spraying, hipfire, shotguns are unrealistic, snipers(especially awp) work as shotguns, helmet protects from hs, pistols are far from realistic and the damage drop-off is quite ridiculous.

Cs is not the only game that's guilty of these though and I still like it.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Well those are fine, and I'm not hating the game but I'll say some.

Well guns with the same calibre do different amounts of damage, crouching is bad on cs, spraying, hipfire, shotguns are unrealistic, snipers(especially awp) work as shotguns, helmet protects from hs, pistols are far from realistic and the damage drop-off is quite ridiculous.

Cs is not the only game that's guilty of these though and I still like it.

good points

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Looks delicious I can't wait to play it!

No f2p is a huge bonus IMO.

I've been looking for a good arena shooter for a while now. I wanted to buy the UT collection on steam during the sale in July but it had the unfortunate timing of me moving into an apartment so I was really watching my money cause I was already really low as it was.

Been playing Quake Live but there's barely anyone on that, and i'm not really sure how many people still play UT 2k4 or UT3. Otherwise i'd pick em up for sure. Just really missing that "no bullshit" style of game where everyone spawns with some basic weapons and it's everything goes from there. I wasn't into PC gaming like that back when those games were popular unfortunately, and i've only had a few chances at some LAN play with them. I got UT3 for the 360 when it was released because I wanted to play it (and my lack of computer that could run it) but it just wasn't really the same playing it on console.

So i'm definitely excited about this game, along with UT4 or whatever they decide to call it. And i'm looking forward to whatever that arena shooter Cliffy B and his new team are supposedly working on.

But here's a question. Rise of the Triad was released a little over a year ago. It's an arena shooter, and it's massively fun. I don't think my bf has ever heard me have so much joy playing a game like ever. But there were all of 23 people on MAX on launch week and it slowly died down to absolutely no one very quickly.

So if there's all this "YAY NEW ARENA SHOOTERS!" thing going on then why have some be released and just died out? It makes me worry about these games coming out that there's gonna be a few playing them at launch and then it's just gonna die out. That's going to make me sad.

I've been looking for a good arena shooter for a while now. I wanted to buy the UT collection on steam during the sale in July but it had the unfortunate timing of me moving into an apartment so I was really watching my money cause I was already really low as it was.

Been playing Quake Live but there's barely anyone on that, and i'm not really sure how many people still play UT 2k4 or UT3. Otherwise i'd pick em up for sure. Just really missing that "no bullshit" style of game where everyone spawns with some basic weapons and it's everything goes from there. I wasn't into PC gaming like that back when those games were popular unfortunately, and i've only had a few chances at some LAN play with them. I got UT3 for the 360 when it was released because I wanted to play it (and my lack of computer that could run it) but it just wasn't really the same playing it on console.

So i'm definitely excited about this game, along with UT4 or whatever they decide to call it. And i'm looking forward to whatever that arena shooter Cliffy B and his new team are supposedly working on.

But here's a question. Rise of the Triad was released a little over a year ago. It's an arena shooter, and it's massively fun. I don't think my bf has ever heard me have so much joy playing a game like ever. But there were all of 23 people on MAX on launch week and it slowly died down to absolutely no one very quickly.

So if there's all this "YAY NEW ARENA SHOOTERS!" thing going on then why have some be released and just died out? It makes me worry about these games coming out that there's gonna be a few playing them at launch and then it's just gonna die out. That's going to make me sad.

Playing a twitch shooter on console? What's the fucking point? lmao

Sure as hell no 360-no-scope's happening on a console.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)