TOXIKK - "Frag like it's 1999" A PC only Arena FPS Announced

Damikiller37

This might be the first FPS that has interested me for years.

You can turn auto aim off in console games? Which ones and why would you do that? You are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage since everyone else has auto aim.

I think UT3 does, a couple of the CoD's do I think. And I know for sure many of the older ones for say, Gamecube did. I can't really think of anything specific, but the option is there in a surprising number of games.

The problem with regenerating shields is that again, it slows the game down. It encourages you to run around and hide until you got your shield back. What's good about not having anything regenerate is that if you fuck up, you've fucked up. You don't get a new chance just because you hide in a corner for a little while.

Again, it slows the game down. Also, having reload doesn't make the game require more skills. If anything it can make the game less skill based because if your opponent has just killed someone you have the advantage of having a full magazine. When removing reload you also remove an element of luck from the game. As soon as you have killed someone you're ready to fight again, instead of "oh crap now I've killed someone, better hide for a few seconds while my weapons reload".

I recommend you try Quake (Quake 3 on Quake Live) or Unreal Tournament out. You will quickly realize why reloading is not needed. There are other things in the game that encourages strategy, such as controlling areas.

1) Im not talking about slow shield regen. 2) I agree no health regen, like in halo 1, improves the speed of the game. 3)i did not mean slow reloading, I mean halo reloading, you dash behind a rock or a tree for 1-2s (literally) and then commence the fight. it promotes strategy, picking your fights, instead of just blindly running into combat.

I realize that you obviously have much more experience with these games then I do, but having said that, I have played huge amounts of halo, which is, while not a Quake speed level shooter, it is a fast paced game, but it is also a strategic game with many levels of play. The suggestions that I have put down are not meant to slow the game down, but rather, add a bit of strategy and increased level of play to the game. thats all :).

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

1) Im not talking about slow shield regen. 2) I agree no health regen, like in halo 1, improves the speed of the game. 3)i did not mean slow reloading, I mean halo reloading, you dash behind a rock or a tree for 1-2s (literally) and then commence the fight. it promotes strategy, picking your fights, instead of just blindly running into combat.

I realize that you obviously have much more experience with these games then I do, but having said that, I have played huge amounts of halo, which is, while not a Quake speed level shooter, it is a fast paced game, but it is also a strategic game with many levels of play. The suggestions that I have put down are not meant to slow the game down, but rather, add a bit of strategy and increased level of play to the game. thats all :).

Don't get me wrong, I loved Halo 1, 2 and 3 multiplayer (stopped playing Halo after the third one) but I don't think your suggestions fits an arena shooter that well. Even 2 seconds is a fairly long time.

The strategy involved in for example Quake is all down to controlling key areas on the map. For example if you look at this video:

All weapon spawns are on a timer, so what he does is check the timer every time he picks up the rocket launcher and body armor, and then makes sure he comes back to those locations and picks them up as they spawn. Knowing the paths around the map, and to keep control of key areas is pretty much the only strategy you need. Easy to learn but really hard to master. If you pick up some speed with bunny jumping, you can move through most maps in two seconds.

By the way, the video I linked is 1vs1. It's rare to have more than a few seconds for yourself.

If they make it like Quake 3 (which I am rooting for) then even a 2 second reload would slow the game down tremendously. The slowest weapon in the game is the Railgun, and that has a 1.5 second cooldown.

I can totally see where you're coming from, but I think it would slow down the game without adding strategy (because the strategy is based on map control).

Now I am in the mood for some Quake 3.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Halo 1, 2 and 3 multiplayer (stopped playing Halo after the third one) but I don't think your suggestions fits an arena shooter that well. Even 2 seconds is a fairly long time.

The strategy involved in for example Quake is all down to controlling key areas on the map. For example if you look at this video:

All weapon spawns are on a timer, so what he does is check the timer every time he picks up the rocket launcher and body armor, and then makes sure he comes back to those locations and picks them up as they spawn. Knowing the paths around the map, and to keep control of key areas is pretty much the only strategy you need. Easy to learn but really hard to master. If you pick up some speed with bunny jumping, you can move through most maps in two seconds.

By the way, the video I linked is 1vs1. It's rare to have more than a few seconds for yourself.

If they make it like Quake 3 (which I am rooting for) then even a 2 second reload would slow the game down tremendously. The slowest weapon in the game is the Railgun, and that has a 1.5 second cooldown.

I can totally see where you're coming from, but I think it would slow down the game without adding strategy (because the strategy is based on map control).

Now I am in the mood for some Quake 3.

Yeah i see what you mean. just remember though, a massive part of halo, just like quake, is map control. but obviously in a different style of gameplay.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270