TOXIKK - "Frag like it's 1999" A PC only Arena FPS Announced

Damikiller37

Oh the irony: all of those elements proudly announced as no nonsense were mostly initially coined as mods for games like UT, half life and quake years ago

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hopefully its not too expensive.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Someone has ask this question on their forum so just keep an eye out since they might reply. http://forum.toxikk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42

Thx for the link. Teaser looks like 3 to me. UT 2014 is on 4 though...

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

*Ejactulates*

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

What about Bunny Hopping?

This sounds pretty cool, and I hope it succeeds because we could use some variety in the FPS genre, but I doubt I'll pick it up. Arena/arcade style shooters aren't generally my thing. I also don't really care for multiplayer only games, and I'm guessing they're not going to bother with a "single player campaign". But who knows! I'll wait for the reviews and TotalBuiscuit's "WTF Is... " and maybe I'll give it a try.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The gameplay honestly looks like an updated ut2004. I like this allot. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

:/ I wouldn't mind iron sights tho.

I think iron sights are more associated with quick scope auto aim not that the game would not have zoom for sniper type weapons like the rail gun

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is cool and all,, but let's be perfectly honest here: The reason why those style of games died out is because there's no progression, and there's no real reason for someone to keep playing it again and again.. Once you've played it, it's done, and there's nothing new to go back to. 

As much as I hate the CoD/BF style "release a game every year with a thousand different attachments, upgrades, and other junk", one of the biggest things that causes people to keep playing is feeding them with rewards for their play.. If someone sees that they can unlock [this new item] if they keep playing longer, they're most likely going to keep playing until they have all the items unlocked.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

This is cool and all,, but let's be perfectly honest here: The reason why those style of games died out is because there's no progression, and there's no real reason for someone to keep playing it again and again.. Once you've played it, it's done, and there's nothing new to go back to.

As much as I hate the CoD/BF style "release a game every year with a thousand different attachments, upgrades, and other junk", one of the biggest things that causes people to keep playing is feeding them with rewards for their play.. If someone sees that they can unlock [this new item] if they keep playing longer, they're most likely going to keep playing until they have all the items unlocked.

Only partially true: giving you just different stats and models for guns it's the lazy way to add content: the FPS equivalent of roguelikes and endless loot formula.

Actually coding new maps or innovative gameplay elements is more difficult to do, that is why it's fallen out of fashion

-------

Current Rig

-------

I like the "no bulshit" philosophy !!

Same. They had me sold when they said that, lolol

Looks good! I love that it isn't free to play.

Looks good! I love that it isn't free to play.

did you notice the delay before the put no above free to play?  i found that pretty funny haha

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I am highly interested in this! Even considering pre-ordering...for $15 you can't exactly go wrong there...

I'm tempted, really tempted.

I don't know if I'm a big fan of this, gaming has evolved for a reason. Although I agree with some of the stuff their doing, things like no iron sights aiming seems a bit of a step backwards.

Still I'm looking forward to seeing more of it

Guess you don't play Counter Strike huh?

Looks pretty cool. I wouldn't have minded a couple of distinct classes like Team Fortress or something, but what bugs me the most are the vehicles. Their design philosophy seems to be wanting to take the arena shooter back to its roots, but at the same time they want to be innovative by blending modern elements like that. 

I don't know if I'm a big fan of this, gaming has evolved for a reason. Although I agree with some of the stuff their doing, things like no iron sights aiming seems a bit of a step backwards.

Still I'm looking forward to seeing more of it

Personally I've always felt iron sights was useless. "Press a button to reduce recoil but slow down" is how it works, right?

Slowing down in an arena FPS is the last thing you want.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I see your point, but want to scream "FILTHY CASUALS". I'm half serious too.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Totally down except for the 'no health regen' and 'no reloading'. By no health regen i assume there will be health packs on the map. But will there be shield recharge? It can add a bit more of a tactical aspect to the game with making it a strategy game. And no reloading? IDK people. Again, IMO reloading adds a bit more gun play and strategy without going overboard.

Having said all this, I have never played Unreal Tournament or Quake. I am a Halo player to core, to the PC days. This is just want I think in relation to having played a lot of halo and enjoyed the system that is has. .

Edit: And as other people have said, no unlockables/progression stuff. No unlockables maybe, but progression is a bit of a necessity IMO. Even if it is for simple stuff like aesthetics.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Totally down except for the 'no health regen' and 'no reloading'. By no health regen i assume there will be health packs on the map. But will there be shield recharge? It can add a bit more of a tactical aspect to the game with making it a strategy game. And no reloading? IDK people. Again, IMO reloading adds a bit more gun play and strategy without going overboard.

Having said all this, I have never played Unreal Tournament or Quake. I am a Halo player to core, to the PC days. This is just want I think in relation to having played a lot of halo and enjoyed the system that is has. .

Edit: And as other people have said, no unlockables/progression stuff. No unlockables maybe, but progression is a bit of a necessity IMO. Even if it is for simple stuff like aesthetics.

People have rose tinted glasses with nostalgia when it comes to the old Quake and UT games. Yeah they used to be super fun, but the problem is retaining players. After a few months, you'd get super bored unless they were constantly releasing new maps and weapons. Progression is what keeps the major multiplayer games alive. Even CS:GO has progression in the form of ranking and cosmetic unlocks, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

People have rose tinted glasses with nostalgia when it comes to the old Quake and UT games. Yeah they used to be super fun, but the problem is retaining players. After a few months, you'd get super bored unless they were constantly releasing new maps and weapons. Progression is what keeps the major multiplayer games alive. Even CS:GO has progression in the form of ranking and cosmetic unlocks, etc.

I totally agree with you that progression and unlocks are a necessity for 99% of games. Rose tinted glasses maybe not so much. Halo CE for instantance. There was literally nothing in that game in the way of unlocks ect, but, it lasted a long time, even the demo. Some games need unlocks ect, and others are just so fun that you dont need them to keep playing although they are a nice incentive.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I have always loved UT 1999 GOTY, so this game makes me very excited, ive been waiting for a game like this for years :D

*update I have now pre ordered it, couldnt help myself for £9)

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

It doesn't makes sense that futuristic energy weapons would need to reload, I think that's one of the first advantages people would come up with when the "pew pew pew!" days finally roll in.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It doesn't makes sense that futuristic energy weapons would need to reload, I think that's one of the first advantages people would come up with when the "pew pew pew!" days finally roll in.

Key Word: Futuristic. Nobody knows what weaponry will be like in the future, or at least we have some VERY general idea, but yeah you know what I mean. You are totally correct that energy weapons might not need to reload, but, I am suggesting a reloading mechanic for the sake of a higher level of gun play and skill required to secure the most amount of kills per life/ reload ect. Instead of just firing madly. Or don't add reload, like you suggested, and make it Halo plasma rifle style with a overheating mechanic for when you fire continuously for too long.

Have it any way they like. I am simply making a suggestion to increase the skill level/ underlying strategy of the game. Good point about reloading though! Maybe a overheating mechanic would be better, or none at all! Im sure they will do whats best for the game.

Key Word: Futuristic. Nobody knows what weaponry will be like in the future, or at least we have some VERY general idea, but yeah you know what I mean. You are totally correct that energy weapons might not need to reload, but, I am suggesting a reloading mechanic for the sake of a higher level of gun play and skill required to secure the most amount of kills per life/ reload ect. Instead of just firing madly. Or don't add reload, like you suggested, and make it Halo plasma rifle style with a overheating mechanic for when you fire continuously for too long.

Have it any way they like. I am simply making a suggestion to increase the skill level/ underlying strategy of the game. Good point about reloading though! Maybe a overheating mechanic would be better, or none at all! Im sure they will do whats best for the game.

Gotcha, and actually that kind of level of "gunplay" did exist back then with the shotguns which had a slow fire rate, the rocket launchers which had a slow projectile speed and medium fire rate and the grenade launcher type which had both a slow projectile speed AND a short ballistic trajectory that needed to be adjusted for. That combined with clever map design (putting the most powerful weapons like railguns on the most exposed parts of the map like choke points) had the same effect as the reload mechanics from newer games, except it kept the pace fast and frantic which I love and do miss vs modern military shooters.

-------

Current Rig

-------