Dual Xeon, Dual Titan Z. Gaming/Workstation beast. (Name TBD)

meikat

EXTREMELY INSANE !!!

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

how much watt this ultimate gaming/work station

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Lots

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The one Rig, I second that.

I have a question, I can't really remember the name of that keyboard, can someone tell me, please? :D

Awesome work, btw. So jelly right now!

http://www.madcatz.com/strike7/

run the valley and post the results in http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69448-unigine-valley-benchmark-scores-thread/

pretty please 

we tried Valley, but the score for some reason was low.  It seems like some benchmarks are only recognizing one of the titan z cards, and we're too distracted to deal with it right now.  soon though.

we tried Valley, but the score for some reason was low.  It seems like some benchmarks are only recognizing one of the titan z cards, and we're too distracted to deal with it right now.  soon though.

In that case you don't need that second titan Z, feel free to ship it to me ;P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

In that case you don't need that second titan Z, feel free to ship it to me ;P

HAH.  Suuureee.  Games recognize it fine, just some of the benchmarks don't.  Since games work fine, I wasn't worried about it in the short term.  

HAH.  Suuureee.  Games recognize it fine, just some of the benchmarks don't.  Since games work fine, I wasn't worried about it in the short term.  

Oh ok as long as the programs and games you need them in are working just fine I would not worry about the benchmarks, they generally are not the best thing for testing performance anyway!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

But the most important thing is, will it blend?

“Look at you soaring through the air majestically... like an eagle. Piloting a blimp.” - GLaDOS

Holy f*ck, someone who has the money to buy whatever they want... and a girl too... on the LTT forum... 
Good to see some people have the money to buy what their hearts desire.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I'm sure this has been answered a million times, but is there any particular reason for in choosing dual Titan Z over x4 Titan Black, is it just an "I have money" thing?

This awesome, though. But, why not watercool too for true maximum overkill? It would fully justify the Titan Zs at least. :P 

I'm sure this has been answered a million times, but is there any particular reason for in choosing dual Titan Z over x4 Titan Black, is it just an "I have money" thing?

This awesome, though. But, why not watercool too for true maximum overkill? It would fully justify the Titan Zs at least. :P

4X Titan blacks would use up all the PCIe slots, some of which are being used for other things like RAID/sound cards etc.  Also, the build is going to be watercooled, they just haven't reached that stage in the process yet.

@meikat 

Why not just make the res yourself (in a manner of speaking)?  I would search up machining places local to you and check out their pricing etc.  Then it's just a matter of designing the thing.  Many places offer services where you send them a basic design template and they'll help turn it into a workable design that can be milled.  Alternatively (this would be my preferred method), sketch out a design and then build it in 3D CAD software, that gives you ultimate flexibility and would allow you to tune things on the fly.  Then when you're happy with the design, it's just a matter of sending it off to be milled, this is the approach I've taken in my recent projects, works pretty well.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

4X Titan blacks would use up all the PCIe slots, some of which are being used for other things like RAID/sound cards etc.  Also, the build is going to be watercooled, they just haven't reached that stage in the process yet.

@meikat 

Why not just make the res yourself (in a manner of speaking)?  I would search up machining places local to you and check out their pricing etc.  Then it's just a matter of designing the thing.  Many places offer services where you send them a basic design template and they'll help turn it into a workable design that can be milled.  Alternatively (this would be my preferred method), sketch out a design and then build it in 3D CAD software, that gives you ultimate flexibility and would allow you to tune things on the fly.  Then when you're happy with the design, it's just a matter of sending it off to be milled, this is the approach I've taken in my recent projects, works pretty well.

Neither one of us have time to do any design (not to mention, I'm not very good at it).  I did contact someone who has extensive experience working with acrylic and making crazy one off reservoirs, and he seems like he has some great ideas.  As soon as I have a chance to get him some exact measurements, he's going to make up a sketch or two and we'll decide on a design, so it looks like we'll more than likely be going custom.

Ah, okay.

After all the lighting, pumps, fans, etc, it will probably be around 1800-2200 watts under load.  It has to draw from two separate 15 amp circuits in his house (hence the dual UPS backups, one for one outlet, one for the other.  We have one power supply for the GPUs, and one for everything else.  Once overclocked, the GPUs will likely draw 600+ watts each.   And yes, we plan to overclock them once they're watercooled.

I can smell linus being mad at Edzel's PC because it can't one up this rig. xD.

<Insert Linus rage here>

Hahahaha!  I just watched his new video on overclocking the 2697, and believe me, I was taking notes.  I really hope the motherboard has the right options to change the bus (I think I remember seeing it being adjustable, so yay!).  I won't be overclocking until watercooling goes in though...

After all the lighting, pumps, fans, etc, it will probably be around 1800-2200 watts under load.  It has to draw from two separate 15 amp circuits in his house (hence the dual UPS backups, one for one outlet, one for the other.  We have one power supply for the GPUs, and one for everything else.  Once overclocked, the GPUs will likely draw 600+ watts each.   And yes, we plan to overclock them once they're watercooled.

Hahahaha!  I just watched his new video on overclocking the 2697, and believe me, I was taking notes.  I really hope the motherboard has the right options to change the bus (I think I remember seeing it being adjustable, so yay!).  I won't be overclocking until watercooling goes in though...

Hey, I don't know if this was already covered, but what was the choice for non ecc memory based on? 

I've worked with ECC memory in the past, and I know it can be a bbit slower application wise, but that's not a problem there. But what about gaming? I have never used ECC memory in a persoanl machine before, therefore I've never tested it with many types of applications. 

At some point I need a new workstation, and I want it to be my gaming machine as well. The higher capacity of ECC memory certainly draws me. I can't really find any gaming benchmarks though. 

I was wondering if you had any knowledge of whether or not it has a severe negative effect on gaming performance or had a stick to test that? 

I mean if it does have a severe impact, it's not a big deal for me if I go with non-ECC. The higher capacity in fewer slots catches my attention, but it is not necessary. I don't need the ECC feature anyway, as a workstation for me would be used for nothing critical, just work and games. And probably nothing balls to the wall gaming wise, likely a single good GPU. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hey, I don't know if this was already covered, but what was the choice for non ecc memory based on? 

I've worked with ECC memory in the past, and I know it can be a bbit slower application wise, but that's not a problem there. But what about gaming? I have never used ECC memory in a persoanl machine before, therefore I've never tested it with many types of applications. 

At some point I need a new workstation, and I want it to be my gaming machine as well. The higher capacity of ECC memory certainly draws me. I can't really find any gaming benchmarks though. 

I was wondering if you had any knowledge of whether or not it has a severe negative effect on gaming performance or had a stick to test that? 

I mean if it does have a severe impact, it's not a big deal for me if I go with non-ECC. The higher capacity in fewer slots catches my attention, but it is not necessary. I don't need the ECC feature anyway, as a workstation for me would be used for nothing critical, just work and games. And probably nothing balls to the wall gaming wise, likely a single good GPU. 

Basically ECC should almost never be necessary in a personal use machine for 99.99% of us.  It's designed for servers where a single tiny error during a read or write could screw up a database.  When you have thousands of database queries going in and out every second, it's easy to see why writing a single error even once an hour could be an issue.  Data corruption sucks, but on servers, the issue can be compounded way worse and way faster than a PC or workstation.  For what he's doing, I figured we'd get better use out of going with a supported DDR3 module that has heatsinks that can be attached to water cooling blocks (since the aesthetics of cooled ram seemed important to him).  Also, since he's gaming, ECC seemed kind of silly.  64gb of ram should be PLENTY for almost anyone unless you're doing tons of Virtualization or something like that.  I run 2 virtual PCs on my personal rig which has 16gb of ram, and never hit page file.  I know there's a video out there where Linus does a REALLY quick and thorough explanation on ECC, but here's an over simplified explanation from Luke 

Basically ECC should almost never be necessary in a personal use machine for 99.99% of us.  It's designed for servers where a single tiny error during a read or write could screw up a database.  When you have thousands of database queries going in and out every second, it's easy to see why writing a single error even once an hour could be an issue.  Data corruption sucks, but on servers, the issue can be compounded way worse and way faster than a PC or workstation.  For what he's doing, I figured we'd get better use out of going with a supported DDR3 module that has heatsinks that can be attached to water cooling blocks (since the aesthetics of cooled ram seemed important to him).  Also, since he's gaming, ECC seemed kind of silly.  64gb of ram should be PLENTY for almost anyone unless you're doing tons of Virtualization or something like that.  I run 2 virtual PCs on my personal rig which has 16gb of ram, and never hit page file.  I know there's a video out there where Linus does a REALLY quick and thorough explanation on ECC, but here's an over simplified explanation from Luke 

Thanks. I know what ECC is for, but I was wondering if gaming performance takes a hit with it? I wanted to get a 4 slot motherboard probably, and I wanted more than 32GB of memory if possible. I can top that out easily. I'm not a standard user. Plus with my 8 thread i7 I'm feeling cramped so I want to expand. I was looking at xeon 8 or 10 core options, or dual socket 6 or 8 core options. That said, I'm in no need of error correcting memory. I just wondered if I went with ECC I'd suffer a performance hit for gaming, cause I still want to game on this machine, and I may just go for an 8 slot with 64 GB of non-ECC ram.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Thanks. I know what ECC is for, but I was wondering if gaming performance takes a hit with it? I wanted to get a 4 slot motherboard probably, and I wanted more than 32GB of memory if possible. I can top that out easily. I'm not a standard user. Plus with my 8 thread i7 I'm feeling cramped so I want to expand. I was looking at xeon 8 or 10 core options, or dual socket 6 or 8 core options. That said, I'm in no need of error correcting memory. I just wondered if I went with ECC I'd suffer a performance hit for gaming, cause I still want to game on this machine, and I may just go for an 8 slot with 64 GB of non-ECC ram.

I honestly have no clue as to any performance losses.  Sorry :(  I've never gamed on ECC ram.  I did some quick google-fu, and found this http://www.techspot.com/article/845-ddr3-ram-vs-ecc-memory/  Which suggests that ECC ram having negative effects on performance is a thing of the past since the differences are very minimal. 

Edit:  Also, I'm sorry for assuming you didn't know what ECC was/was for.  I should have read your original question a little better.

Added this picture of the completed wall plate to the last update.  

FPTYPql.jpg

I'm pleased with it.  The mounts will be attached to the wall plate via bolts instead of to the wall, since it would be near impossible to get every arm into a stud.  Also when he moves, he can just attach the wall plate to studs wherever he goes, and as long as the wallplate is level, the monitors will be level.  I'm planning to attach to 3 studs with the wall plate so that we know it is secure since the outside monitors will be on 20" arms, I'm worried about the wall failing.  No crappy drywall anchors for us!