Dual Xeon, Dual Titan Z. Gaming/Workstation beast. (Name TBD)

meikat

Looks great :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I honestly have no clue as to any performance losses.  Sorry :(  I've never gamed on ECC ram.  I did some quick google-fu, and found this http://www.techspot.com/article/845-ddr3-ram-vs-ecc-memory/  Which suggests that ECC ram having negative effects on performance is a thing of the past since the differences are very minimal. 

Edit:  Also, I'm sorry for assuming you didn't know what ECC was/was for.  I should have read your original question a little better.

Hey no problem. thanks for the article. I ran across it as well about the same time. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hey no problem. thanks for the article. I ran across it as well about the same time. 

Yay for learning new things!

Are you going to use @LinusTech Amazon links? For this? Maybe you could get this thread on the WAN show?! @SlickPC

Are you going to use @LinusTech Amazon links? For this? Maybe you could get this thread on the WAN show?! @SlickPC

We didn't order anything from Amazon sadly.  I personally can't stand trying to use amazon's site to find anything. I guess if you know exactly what you want it's not bad, but the site design is so arduous to use.  We used Newegg, NCIX, MonoPrice, FrozenCPU and a few other sites.  Also we've ordered about 97% of what we have to already.  Only a few odds and ends are left. 

I wouldn't mind the thread getting on the WAN show, but I would think we might as well wait until the entire build is done if that's going to happen. ;)

We didn't order anything from Amazon sadly.  I personally can't stand trying to use amazon's site to find anything. I guess if you know exactly what you want it's not bad, but the site design is so arduous to use.  We used Newegg, NCIX, MonoPrice, FrozenCPU and a few other sites.  Also we've ordered about 97% of what we have to already.  Only a few odds and ends are left. 

I wouldn't mind the thread getting on the WAN show, but I would think we might as well wait until the entire build is done if that's going to happen. ;)

Yah know I agree. I hate amazons site Idk why they don't improve it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

• 5 months later...

Any news?

Don't think so, I think that was the last of it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Meikat: Last active october 12 2014

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Meikat: Last active october 12 2014

yah sadly probably no new updates for this one. 

muh specs 

All parts black

RIP Thread ... we hardly knew thee 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

yah sadly probably no new updates for this one. 

That's what I thought

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the death of the thread guys.  I went through a rollercoaster of medical issues over the last 6 months.  I've been unable to work on it at his house, and he's moving about 45 minutes away in a few weeks, so he's going to bring the entire project to my house to finish up, and they we'll get it transported to his new house.  Also, we're pondering switching the graphics cards to Titan X's because... why not? :)

The rig is still working on air cooling.  I have the radiators mounted, the fan controller in place.  I have a lot to do still before I can setup the watercooling loop.  I was over there the other day since the rig would not boot, and it turns out one of the UPS devices is not staying on longer than a minute, so I need to RMA that to Tripplite.  For now the rig can run off of one since we aren't overclocking yet.  

Edit:  Here's  how we're planning on mounting the eight SSDs (One is missing because it's connected as the boot drive):  r2sOgPU.jpg

Awesome and I hope you get well soon.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

YEY ITS BACK!!!

I hope tjose medical issues go away :)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Sorry for the death of the thread guys.  I went through a rollercoaster of medical issues over the last 6 months.  I've been unable to work on it at his house, and he's moving about 45 minutes away in a few weeks, so he's going to bring the entire project to my house to finish up, and they we'll get it transported to his new house.  Also, we're pondering switching the graphics cards to Titan X's because... why not? :)

The rig is still working on air cooling.  I have the radiators mounted, the fan controller in place.  I have a lot to do still before I can setup the watercooling loop.  I was over there the other day since the rig would not boot, and it turns out one of the UPS devices is not staying on longer than a minute, so I need to RMA that to Tripplite.  For now the rig can run off of one since we aren't overclocking yet.  

Edit:  Here's  how we're planning on mounting the eight SSDs (One is missing because it's connected as the boot drive):  r2sOgPU.jpg

aww hell yah I was worried you finished it but wouldn't show us the details!

Welcome back, and I hope everything is going OK medically. 

muh specs 

All parts black

aww hell yah I was worried you finished it but wouldn't show us the details!

Welcome back, and I hope everything is going OK medically. 

I would never deprive the internet of this much badass.  I'll be snapping pics as I go.  I'm just waiting for the project to be dropped off here.  I'm not sure when that's happening.  I'll be sad to see the Titan Z's go, but the benchmarks on the Titan X are redonculous.  I still don't understand how the Titan X can beat a Dual GPU Titan Z.  I think we can cram 3 of them in the rig, and blow away the performance he's getting on the Titan Zs. (and also eliminate some of the issues we're running into with the Titan Zs, like only 1 Displayport per card :(  Come on Nvidia...)

-snip-

like only 1 Displayport per card :(  Come on Nvidia...)

Ewwwwwww. I'm so happy I have 3 display port per card now. Display port is love, display port is life.

Get well soon :D 

If the Titan Z's will be replaced, what will happen to them?

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

One Word: Omega Power. You can fight Superman Prime (100% Rage and Energy Absorption) and possibly beat him!!

Groomlake Authority

Out of curiousity what are you doing with the Titan Z's, selling them?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I would never deprive the internet of this much badass.  I'll be snapping pics as I go.  I'm just waiting for the project to be dropped off here.  I'm not sure when that's happening.  I'll be sad to see the Titan Z's go, but the benchmarks on the Titan X are redonculous.  I still don't understand how the Titan X can beat a Dual GPU Titan Z.  I think we can cram 3 of them in the rig, and blow away the performance he's getting on the Titan Zs. (and also eliminate some of the issues we're running into with the Titan Zs, like only 1 Displayport per card :(  Come on Nvidia...)

Glad that your recovery has went well and can't wait to see the evolution of this into the final product. Stay awesome Mei. =)

"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

One Word: Omega Power. You can fight Superman Prime (100% Rage and Energy Absorption) and possibly beat him!!

Get well soon :D

If the Titan Z's will be replaced, what will happen to them?

More than likely ebay them.  They're still selling for a lot of money since they have way more computational power for things like GPU renderfarms, or computational heavy workloads.