Dual Xeon, Dual Titan Z. Gaming/Workstation beast. (Name TBD)

meikat

Why Titan Z? I love Nvidia but the Z was an empty shot.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Edited main post for today's update with pictures and CPU-Z and GPU-Z screenies.

Why Titan Z? I love Nvidia but the Z was an empty shot.

Price was not a factor in this build so much as Aesthetics, the ability to fit all the desired hardware, and he really wanted dual GPU cards.  It was Titan Z or the Radeon 295x2.  We chose Nvidia for compatibility with Physx, and his shield.  He didn't want to give up being able to game from his bed with his shield, and he plans to buy the shield tablet as well. 

Price was not a factor in this build so much as Aesthetics, the ability to fit all the desired hardware, and he really wanted dual GPU cards.  It was Titan Z or the Radeon 295x2.  We chose Nvidia for compatibility with Physx, and his shield.  He didn't want to give up being able to game from his bed with his shield, and he plans to buy the shield tablet as well. 

Tbh, 4 Titan Blacks would have looked a lot better, performed better and been cheaper. Alright, you don't care about cost, but the performance would be quite a fair bit higher than the Titan Z. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Tbh, 4 Titan Blacks would have looked a lot better, performed better and been cheaper. Alright, you don't care about cost, but the performance would be quite a fair bit higher than the Titan Z. 

This has been suggested multiple times, but let me go ahead and address it again, because I'm not sure if it was brought up in this specific thread yet.  First off, looks are subjective, so what looks good to him or me, may not look good to you.  Secondly, there is no single slot card that will perform as well in quad SLI as two Titan Zs.  We have 2 other add in cards that will be going in to the build, and if we used 4 dual slot GPUS, that would completely fill this motherboard, and we wouldn't be able to have a high quality sound card to hook to all of his audio equipment, and we wouldn't have room for a high end raid card to run all these drives.  There's a lot more to this computer than just being a pure gaming rig.  It has to be able to do different things, so it's not all about the GPUs, if anything it's more about the 24 CPU cores and the 8 SSDs.  The Titan Zs are there so he can play literally anything he wants on top of the other things we needed this rig to do. 

But can it run Crysis?  :blink:

I'm sure it can.  He'll be finishing up driver installs, and installing games in the next couple days.  Hopefully I can get some benchmarks run :)

This has been suggested multiple times, but let me go ahead and address it again, because I'm not sure if it was brought up in this specific thread yet.  First off, looks are subjective, so what looks good to him or me, may not look good to you.  Secondly, there is no single slot card that will perform as well in quad SLI as two Titan Zs.  We have 2 other add in cards that will be going in to the build, and if we used 4 dual slot GPUS, that would completely fill this motherboard, and we wouldn't be able to have a high quality sound card to hook to all of his audio equipment, and we wouldn't have room for a high end raid card to run all these drives.  There's a lot more to this computer than just being a pure gaming rig.  It has to be able to do different things, so it's not all about the GPUs, if anything it's more about the 24 CPU cores and the 8 SSDs.  The Titan Zs are there so he can play literally anything he wants on top of the other things we needed this rig to do. 

Yep, completely understand :) I didn't mean to attack your (or your friend's) build at all. I know most around here treat their PCs like loved ones when it comes to criticisms. Hopefully there are no hard feelings :)

In that case I can actually understand why you would want Titan Z's, perhaps it'd be better if this were all explained in the first post so we know why the component choices were made :)

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

(But you dont need a pcie soundcard, an external solution might work better if your friend has good headphones)

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

I don't think it's overkill, I think it's sufficient for the intended purpose :)

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I see you forgot your eyefinity 4K setup :b

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

Yep, completely understand :) I didn't mean to attack your (or your friend's) build at all. I know most around here treat their PCs like loved ones when it comes to criticisms. Hopefully there are no hard feelings :)

In that case I can actually understand why you would want Titan Z's, perhaps it'd be better if this were all explained in the first post so we know why the component choices were made :)

I guess that would be a good idea.  I went over all of that in the previous thread, but not here.  Maybe I should add a section in to the OP here for the component choices.

(But you dont need a pcie soundcard, an external solution might work better if your friend has good headphones)

We looked at some of those, but that room has SOOO much clutter already.  He has a piano, and a keyboard, guitars, amps, a 27 inch cintiq on a drawing desk, a full sized freezer, and tons of other stuff just strew about that room. There was barely enough room for one person to work on the computer.  We wanted the section of the room with the computer to be as uncluttered as possible.  Once we're done with the computer, we're going to hopefully organize that room in such a way that it's less cluttered.  Little black boxes with wires everywhere.  Also we found the creative card that should do pretty much everything he wants, and give him high enough quality.

I see you forgot your eyefinity 4K setup :b

The other two monitors are MIA :b   We're working with NCIX to try and figure out what happened to them right now.

I took a good long look at this then at my bank account and LITERALLY cried. I am 100% serious the only thing I can afford from that lineup is the cpu coolers  :(

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I took a good long look at this then at my bank account and LITERALLY cried. I am 100% serious the only thing I can afford from that lineup is the cpu coolers  :(

I know how you feel.  Normally I live pretty comfortably, but I've been missing so much work due to medical issues that I'm having to use my savings to cover bills.  SO much for my new rig that was supposed to be built in a couple months.

I know how you feel.  Normally I live pretty comfortably, but I've been missing so much work due to medical issues that I'm having to use my savings to cover bills.  SO much for my new rig that was supposed to be built in a couple months.

for me to save up for that kind of thing id need to save up for at the very least a couple of years and hope your better now

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Isn't 1.7 volts a bit much for those cpu's?

Hrmm... possibly.  I'm trying to find out what it should be setup.  I went with what the motherboard set automatically, but that might explain why they're running warmer than I expected.

So the motherboard shows both CPUs running at .99 volts in the BIOS under VCORE but CPU-Z shows 1.72-1.73.. possible bug?  I'm going to upgrade the bios later and see what change that brings.

We looked at some of those, but that room has SOOO much clutter already.  He has a piano, and a keyboard, guitars, amps, a 27 inch cintiq on a drawing desk, a full sized freezer, and tons of other stuff just strew about that room. There was barely enough room for one person to work on the computer.  We wanted the section of the room with the computer to be as uncluttered as possible.  Once we're done with the computer, we're going to hopefully organize that room in such a way that it's less cluttered.  Little black boxes with wires everywhere.  Also we found the creative card that should do pretty much everything he wants, and give him high enough quality.

Well i guess i cant argue with that, soundcards do have a place for people that just want everything to be in their system and that is a perfectly fine solution, hope the build turns out well, I am looking forward to the final result :D

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

Anyone have suggestions on which benchmarks they'd like to see run on this rig?

Alright, personally I would have gone 4way SLI and custom loop if money was not a factor.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW