128GB DDR3 Support On Rampage IV Black Edition & ASUS X79 Deluxe

Darktron

There's always the chance you need a Xeon in one of those boards to make it work...

well the i7 range doesnt support ECC ram, and the IMC was designed with a shortcut, so it cant adress 16GB dimms at all. so yes, you will need a xeon and ECC ram for this.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

ASUS has been working closly with Intel and IM to make this happen. I would assume that means Intel officially supports ASUS in this.

Actually I'M Intelligent Memory had already stated in their press statement that the memory will work with Asus's x79 boards, and Intel has no plan to analyze the possibility to support them unless there is a huge demand for the memory.....

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179548-im-intelligent-memory-debuts-8-gb-ddr3-components-16-gb-unbuffered-dimm-so-dimm-modules/

ASUS has been working closly with Intel and IM to make this happen. I would assume that means Intel officially supports ASUS in this.

They went against Intel and created the overclocking options for the B and H series motherboards just recently so wouldn't suprise me if they did this without Intel. 

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

i think intel will not do anything at this point but maybe one day 

Hi! I work for a distri of Intelligent Memory and yes, Asus changed the "Memory Reference Code" which is the routine that initializes the memory. It is part of the BIOS, that's why Asus released their own BIOS.

The memory controller hardware (inside of the CPU) just sends an address of row and column to the memory and expects the module to transfer the data back. This row/column addressing is done through total 16 multiplexed address lines and 3 bank lines.

16GB modules are using DDR3 8Gbit chips, 8GB modules are made of 4Gbit DDR3 chips.

Both, the 8Gbit and the 4Gbit DRAM chips use the same total number of physical address lines -> 16 lines and 3 bank lines.

Thus I can say that from a hardware point-of-view, every CPU which can work with 8GB modules (made of 4Gbit chips) should also work with 16GB modules (made of 8Gbit chips).

Now the only problem left is the software, the Memory Reference Code (short MRC).

Intel supplies this MRC code to the motherboard makers and BIOS programmers as a compiled piece of software. And this Intel MRC code is written to setup the memory controller correctly when it sees 1Gbit, 2Gbit or 4Gbit DDR3 chips on a module. Unfortunately this code does not know what to do when it finds 8Gbit chips, so the system just hangs. ASUS added the code for 8Gbit DRAM chips and it works!

On the Intelligent Memory modules and the "slow" 1333 speed:

In a few weeks there should be at least 1600 speed, but let's be realistic: How much faster does a system get when using 1600 or 1866 compared to 1333 ?  And I do not talk about the pure memory speed, which might get a bit faster, but the total system speed.

When you run any kind of software, a majority of time is taken by the CPU, the logic devices, HDD/SSD access, waiting for mouse/keyboard/network data, etc. Only a small portion of the overall speed is related to the speed of the memory.

Even if a memory test would show you 10 or 15% faster "pure memory speed", the complete system will just get maybe 1-2% faster or you do not notice it at all.

But not having enough memory will cause a system to run slow, because it might have to use virtual memory, it swaps the memory to the HDD/SSD, which is taking away all your performance. The system gets awfully slow.

The bad news is: Those Intelligent Memory 16GB modules are not really cheap. You can in no way say "they should be twice the price of 8GB modules". We talk about around $330 per module here! So 128GB will get you to $2640 ! You must be really desperate for memory to pay that ;-)

yup that a lot of money but soon or late DDR4 going to have a 16GB modules

cpus dont have ram limitations lol

The OS does however

For win 7

Starter: 8GB

Home Basic: 8GB

Home Premium: 16GB

Professional: 192GB

Enterprise: 192GB

Ultimate: 192GB

Why did Windows put a RAM limit in it's OS. Linux has a theoretical memory limit of 1TB but that is only because of hardware it's actual limit is 2^64 thats 16 777 216 TB but in reality it's just 256TB

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Why did Windows put a RAM limit in it's OS. Linux has a theoretical memory limit of 1TB but that is only because of hardware it's actual limit is 2^64 thats a 20 digit long number.

dunnp

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Why did Windows put a RAM limit in it's OS. Linux has a theoretical memory limit of 1TB but that is only because of hardware it's actual limit is 2^64 thats 16 777 216 TB but in reality it's just 256TB

product segmentation. this way they can sell windows server, that has support for waaay more ram ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

product segmentation. this way they can sell windows server, that has support for waaay more ram ;)

U sir are correct. Basically a way to make more monies.

Xeons would take some juice from this advantage though

If you're using xeons you should use a proper server motherboard, not a gaming motherboard.

Half the features on a gaming motherboard will be useless for a server, plus server mobos support way more than just 192GB of ram.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah... perfect for people who just want to throw money :P

People build server workstations for certain types of jobs and work where you actually need over 64GB of ram and xeon processors.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

cpus dont have ram limitations lol

that's completely not true at all.

Why do you think 32-bit CPU's are limited to 4 billion locations (4GB). Its because they are 32-bit meaning there address bus has 32 lines. you can determine the maximum addressable memory locations as the 2^(lanes of address bus)

So:

2^32 = 4,294,967,296 addressable memory locations.

Thats how you get your physical RAM limitations. Its the same with 64-bit CPU's.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

well...  Yay!  This is awesome!  But I can think of much of a benifit right now to all this RAM, good that we can actually use this much though!  I dont see a benifit right now except...

More Virtual Machines!!!  :D  :D  :D 

I didn't mean that, I meant Rampage + Xeon

Ah yes :)

Spoiler

You have to use a CPU that supports ECC memory. So if you installed a Xeon in the board you could utilize it.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

well...  Yay!  This is awesome!  But I can think of much of a benifit right now to all this RAM, good that we can actually use this much though!  I dont see a benifit right now except...

More Virtual Machines!!!  :D  :D  :D 

RAMdisk or Dimmdrive. for virtual drive to use software to run stuff fast, like video editing or graphic design or photo edit

RAMdisk or Dimmdrive. for virtual drive to use software to run stuff fast, like video editing or graphic design or photo edit

okay,  I'm a noob in those things.  Sorry :(

http://ark.intel.com/products/77779/Intel-Core-i7-4960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 64 GB

Memory Types DDR3-1333/1600/1866

# of Memory Channels 4

Max Memory Bandwidth 59.7 GB/s

ECC Memory Supported ‡ No

They write that, because that's what the controllers are supposed to handle on consumer grade motherboards, but actually the x86-64 architecture can address up to 256 TB of RAM.

They write that, because that's what the controllers are supposed to handle on consumer grade motherboards, but actually the x86-64 architecture can address up to 256 TB of RAM.

"The CPU is what limits the amount of RAM it supports being that the memory controller is in the CPU." - directly from the intel communities forum.

Spoiler

"The CPU is what limits the amount of RAM it supports being that the memory controller is in the CPU." - directly from the intel communities forum.

There are ways to "hack" into that and actually double the amount of memory the controller is actively handling, doesn't work as well as supposed, but it's possible. What's not possible is addressing more than 256 TB

Too bad that's not your PC. Just because you find an image on google doesn't mean its real. Also even if it is real I doubt a regular PC user will be experienced enough to crack a CPU's memory controller.

Spoiler

Too bad that's not your PC. Just because you find an image on google doesn't mean its real. Also even if it is real I doubt a regular PC user will be experienced enough to crack a CPU's memory controller.

On google? I took it from here:

Seems like none of you realized that Asus showed 128GB working. Asus isn't going to release this bios if only a few cpu's can do it