Waiting for Skylake?

if you consider 400€ a good price, be ready to pay 550€ for it...cause that's what it will cost!

I do not consider 400€ a good price :D. I dont think its 550, that would be more than the current ivy-e and that plattform offers more pcie lanes and such.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Eh, no. If it takes more than 26 seconds to load Windows 7 from a Samsung 840 Pro SSD (fresh install mind you) and takes 19 seconds to load Tails OS, the chip's defunct.

Win7 aint win8 you know...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Yea, I can't see the Core i7-6770K being released anytime before 2016.

always makes me smile when i sew people shooting names of broduct that will maybe never exist and/or will most likely don't use that name or anything close!

Naming scheme is something that change a lot in computer hardware over time...noticed how we've never seen the radeon HD8970, or the nvidia 9900GT, or the core 3 duo and core 3 quad?! or the pentium 5? haha...

they won't call them core i7 until the core i7-9770K you know? :D just saying...

skylake IMHO wil be a radically new architecture and will most likely come with a new naming scheme...it will probably not even be called core i5 and core i7 anymore...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Win7 aint win8 you know...

The only major difference (for these purposes) is how much remains in page files and how much is held together by the ultra-low power state Win 8 takes advantage of instead of completely shutting down.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

always makes me smile when i sew people shooting names of broduct that will maybe never exist and/or will most likely don't use that name or anything close!

Naming scheme is something that change a lot in computer hardware over time...noticed how we've never seen the radeon HD8970, or the nvidia 9900GT, or the core 3 duo and core 3 quad?! or the pentium 5? haha...

they won't call them core i7 until the core i7-9770K you know? :D just saying...

skylake IMHO wil be a radically new architecture and will most likely come with a new naming scheme...it will probably not even be called core i5 and core i7 anymore...

I10, to counter A10 lol

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

They have i3 to counter A10 :(

Nah, the 7850k handily beats most of the I3 lineup, and with a decent 4.5GHz overclock it approaches I5 Quad performance. Once the GPU cores can schedule things for themselves and the SOC doesn't need any extra infrastructure between the CPU and GPU cores, the efficiency will get a great boost. I'm looking forward to Carrizo.

Nah, the 7850k handily beats most of the I3 lineup, and with a decent 4.5GHz overclock it approaches I5 Quad performance. Once the GPU cores can schedule things for themselves and the SOC doesn't need any extra infrastructure between the CPU and GPU cores, the efficiency will get a great boost. I'm looking forward to Carrizo.

I'm thinking of buying Carizo for my F@ H rig if the compute is good enough :)

When I upgrade my PC early next year I may end up waiting for Broadwell (skylake is too far off). However, I don't think the performance will be a huge jump (as always) Waiting for some better cases and monitors to come out so its not a big deal for me to wait :D Still in the planning phase 

Debating whether go custom loop water cooling or not... so tempting xD

Ain't nobody got time for skylake IF intel released the 6-core 5820k with $350.That would be so sweet but it ain't gonna happen since it will cripple the normal i7 sales.Who roumored this anyway?

Waiting for skylake myself too.Even cannonlake. Perfectly happy with my ivy i5 since it's an above average OCer so i can wait :D

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Ain't nobody got time for skylake IF intel released the 6-core 5820k with $350.That would be so sweet but it ain't gonna happen since it will cripple the normal i7 sales.Who roumored this anyway?

Waiting for skylake myself too.Even cannonlake. Perfectly happy with my ivy i5 since it's an above average OCer so i can wait :D

Hardly, that higher core count comes with a severe GHz loss even with the extra cache. Most people outside professional applications will barely notice a difference, and single-thread performance will suffer. You can't parallelize everything. The enthusiast-grade Intel chips, at least the quad-cores, should match the 4790k with the better cache and no GPU cores to slow it down. Intel is pulling a shameful move imho. Their 6-core line should be topping 4.2 GHz at just normal turbo.

At least with the Broadwell Enthusiast line we'll get a die shrink and a speed bump. And then Skylake is Intel's equivalent of the Kaveri on the non-X-series chipset (except with Intel's already far superior ipc efficiency and lower power draw, and it'll have the next generation of Iris Pro Graphics with an estimated 72-80 EUs which Intel has been laboriously working on to make a system like HSA). 

--Sorry for the huge parenthetical.

Skylake is momentous not for the immediate performance it will bring (though I'm willing to bet it'll finally put Sandy/Ivy Bridge down to rest), but rather for the move by all major players towards heterogeneous architecture. Nvidia is putting an ARM chip on their cards so they can schedule their own work (sort of...), AMD is the chief of HSA, and Intel has been making its non-enthusiast chips more heterogeneous since 2009. It's all coming to a head in 2016.

Cannonlake should put Ivy to rest even if Skylake doesn't. The move from 22nm to 14 is huge potentially, and 14 to 10 is still a very large difference. We could see a lot of performance appear, and Intel's clock rates should rise to AMD's 9590 before too long, which could be AMD's death knell if Intel's heterogeneous architecture can put its boot on the neck of APUs before HSA software takes off.

Skylake has never been slotted for 2015 except mobile parts. Broadwell mobile releases late november. Skylake is not so close.

That is a very good point. They always handle laptops first and most likely we will have to wait longer for the "K's". Although I still have a good feeling that it will be late 2015. This is all just guesswork based on available leaked roadmaps. Anything and everything is subject to change.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

Skylake has never been slotted for 2015 except mobile parts. Broadwell mobile releases late november. Skylake is not so close.

Tom's Hardware link posted above says Z107 in 2015.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

That is a very good point. They always handle laptops first and most likely we will have to wait longer for the "K's". Although I still have a good feeling that it will be late 2015. This is all just guesswork based on available leaked roadmaps. Anything and everything is subject to change.

It is mildly possible Intel could skip Desktop Broadwell and Mobile Skylake, since Haswell/broadwell were aimed at power reduction for mobile environments and Skylake is a whole new heterogeneous paradigm (unified video memory for iGPU) with new support for DDR4 and PCIe4.

Not worth thinking into the future right now, when it comes it comes, then its time to decide :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Tom's Hardware link posted above says Z107 in 2015.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186210-intels-14nm-puzzle-as-skylake-details-leak-everybody-asks-is-the-chip-coming-in-2015-or-not

There's a lot of wild speculation right now, and AMD is not helping the system either. We're gonna be in a CPU dead zone until October at best.

Not worth thinking into the future right now, when it comes it comes, then its time to decide :)

The words of one who will never run an innovative company :D

The words of one who will never run an innovative company :D

I already do lol :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

It is mildly possible Intel could skip Desktop Broadwell and Mobile Skylake, since Haswell/broadwell were aimed at power reduction for mobile environments and Skylake is a whole new heterogeneous paradigm (unified video memory for iGPU) with new support for DDR4 and PCIe4.

Also, after performance series gets DDR4, mainstreamers will want it too and Intel will be itching to give it to them in order to increase sales.

I already do lol :D

With that kind of speech you don't seem to be much of a shaper of the future, not to be a dick, but that's not very inspiring lol.

This is a PC enthusiast only forum. All non-enthusiasts will be severely scolded! As an enthusiast, I like to plan and dream my builds well into the future instead of limiting myself to what is currently available. Like I said, for myself, it's going to take me that long to upgrade all my other parts where I want and need them. By that time Skylake or even possibly Cannonlake will be completely available.

This is a PC enthusiast only forum. All non-enthusiasts will be severely scolded! As an enthusiast, I like to plan and dream my builds well into the future instead of limiting myself to what is currently available. Like I said, for myself, it's going to take me that long to upgrade all my other parts where I want and need them. By that time Skylake or even possibly Cannonlake will be completely available.

Heh, my Dad's had the same motherboard almost 10 years, and he still runs on the Q6600. We're finally building him something new to have a new decade-long performance build (his first with no discrete GPU since he doesn't game).

Now that CPU improvements are leveling off the way they are now, there is such a thing as future-proofing.

Since everyone seems unwilling to click on any of the links I provided:

1_w_600.png

With that kind of speech you don't seem to be much of a shaper of the future, not to be a dick, but that's not very inspiring lol.

I agree, but some stuff like CPU's were now it seams like they are coming out once a year with a new die, not really worth the time to ponder about what might be next. When it comes, it comes, then you make the decisions, because who knows, maybe 6 months after Skylake something new might come out.. I will tell you one thing im looking forward to getting and that is Haswell-E and that 5960X, but that comes out in a couple of months, worth the excitement now. :) then when Broadwell-E comes to the market, its time to get happy again, see the pattern :D. One step at a time.

It is entirely possible that PCI-E gen 4 will not be in full swing until 2016. If that is the case I will be waiting for whatever chipset and CPU is completely Gen 4 compatible.