Consoles Remain King?!

Jerakl

Well, I don't believe so, but this article says other wise.

http://www.mweb.co.za/games/ViewNewsArticle/tabid/2549/Article/14389/Consoles-remain-King-It-doesn-t-matter-if-PC-s-have-more-market-value-and-power.aspx

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, we’ll soon be getting to a point where the difference between the two won’t really mean anything, but in the meantime, if we have to talk about a ‘king’ of gaming, then the crown clearly goes to consoles. They win simply by virtue of selling more games. And if there’s any metric that carries meaning in who the ‘king’ is, then that must surely be it.

"The Xbox one and PS4, while closer to PC architecture than any console generation ever before, are actually quite different"
"Yeah I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to be as slow as a 'Next Gen Console'"
I just really wanted to use this quote.
Both quotes from Luke/Slick

Both of these quotes from one of Linus's latest videos, while just a rough test states two solid arguments, both of which are stated above.

There's also this from @deathjester 's thread:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/184567-looks-like-ms-might-be-getting-a-clue-as-far-as-pc-gaming/

"51% of all time spent gaming is on PCs - more than on consoles and mobile devices combined," states the listing. "PC gaming itself is projected to make $25 Billion in 2014, growing 13% year over year. Across the Windows platform, including phones, tablets, and PCs, Microsoft is uniquely positioned to change the world of gaming."

And I do know that sales make the profits, but I don't think they're account for indie games as said by @PokémonTrainerFour 

From what I've seen there are very few Indie games on console, they do have some on Xbox, but very few on PS3.

My Thoughts

I don't think that just because consoles sell more games means that they're the so called "king". There are things they do better, such as split screen, except that's about it.... And PC's do everything else better, except not having some exclusives that would be great to have on PC.
And to be dramatic or whatever the writer mentioned the GTX Titan Z as, and I quote "A single graphics card can cost up to 3000$". Please sir, that card is for devs, and while it could be used for gaming, it really isn't meant for that (Atleast in my opinion. The R9 295x2 is better then it anyways from what I hear).

Sorry if something about this was already posted.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The only advantages that I can find to console gaming is simplicity if you like that and maybe split-screen (though I rarely ever play it).

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

People say consoles are better for split screen, but when playing split screen, the game lags so much. I was playing Black ops zombies on split screen the other day, and at some points it gets almost unplayable. With a PC, you could hook it up to a TV, plug in two controllers and you'd have nowhere near as much lag.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

People say consoles are better for split screen, but when playing split screen, the game lags so much. I was playing Black ops zombies on split screen the other day, and at some points it gets almost unplayable. With a PC, you could hook it up to a TV, plug in two controllers and you'd have nowhere near as much lag.

But how would you have the splitscreen mode? I don't have any CoD's on PC but I don't think they have a splitscreen option?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

A good gaming pc cost $1000 a good console cost around $500. Both play games. To the average person as long as it turns on and they can play a game it doesn't matter. Take off your PC master race hats and try to understand this. I have games on MANY consoles and I can honestly say that they are a fun and inexpensive way to play games with friends.To some this is all that matters. They aren't enthusiasts. They don't want to mod and tweak. They just want something that works and works well at a relatively low cost. 

<<<<<<<<<<<

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I wonder if ''Sales'' count free to play games or subscription games? Because League and Dota2, (However much you like them) are possibly the two biggest games at the moment and are free to play, thus don't really count as sales. However, it is not to say they don't make any money, it's quite the contrary actually.

And that's not counting the other hundreds of of free to play games, and subscription games such as WoW, that might not really sell a whole lot of games anymore, but the amount of players and revenue generated cannot be ignored.

The writer exposes his opinion, he shouldn't do that...

He exposed it in the end and I personally prefer this to interjecting bias through out the paper without stating a clear opinion.

But how would you have the splitscreen mode? I don't have any CoD's on PC but I don't think they have a splitscreen option?

I've never seen one but that doesn't mean you can't mod it.

#pcmasterrace

I've never seen one but that doesn't mean you can't mod it.

#pcmasterrace

This.

My new sig.

Honestly, I play console because I can always rely on it to run a game, at a decent enough framerate, and have a mildly satisfying time. Sure, I could be having a better time, but if I don't have an alternative on hand, I'll settle.

I can't say the same for my only PC, it barely runs TF2 on lowest settings @720p at 10 FPS.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

snip

https://twitter.com/zaidkriel

Here is the "writer". Why should I care what this guys opinion is. He is a random guy from the internet. I just posted an article from a MS job listing saying just how much money PC gaming is making and they are in the console business...

I can post 10,000 opinion articles on this subject. Without hard facts, they are just as useless. This clown doesn't even realize that Digital sales are not listed on most of the charts he refers to. He also doesn't understand the difference between profit and price.

I love how he fails to mention that Diablo 3 expansion sold 3 million copies in a week. That wasn't on RETAIL charts either. Why? Cus people buy PC Games digitally. He also uses freaking Watch Dogs as the example? Watch Dogs was sold more on Xbox 360 than Xbox One last month retail. It is also one of the worst optimized BS ports PC gaming has ever gotten and people like me who HAD planned to buy it, boycotted the damn thing.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

A good gaming pc cost $1000 a good console cost around $500. Both play games. To the average person as long as it turns on and they can play a game it doesn't matter. Take off your PC master race hats and try to understand this. I have games on MANY consoles and I can honestly say that they are a fun and inexpensive way to play games with friends.To some this is all that matters. They aren't enthusiasts. They don't want to mod and tweak. They just want something that works and works well at a relatively low cost. 

A good gaming PC at 1000 bucks can also include a R9 290 and aftermarket ones have been as low as 320 bucks in the last few weeks. You are comparing apples to oranges.

A 500 dollar PC can beat out a 500 dollar console and the savings on games, no monthly fee make it way cheaper.

A 200 dollar refurbished Nintendo Wii U? That is affordable and plays non PC games. A 500 dollar x86 1.6-1.7ghz AMD with a 7790 or 7770 in it? Will be completely worthless in a few years when low level API's are standard on the PC.

I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for it in 2016. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Here is the "writer". Why should I care what this guys opinion is. He is a random guy from the internet. I just posted an article from a MS job listing saying just how much money PC gaming is making and they are in the console business...

Just tagged you because I used something from your post...

Give credit where credit is due.

It is also one of the worst optimized BS ports PC gaming has ever gotten and people like me who HAD planned to buy it, boycotted the damn thing.

Watchdogs wasn't optimized for the #nextgen consoles either. And it was a phenomenal port compared to some other games, have you never played games?

Will be completely worthless in a few years when low level API's are standard on the PC.

And people will still buy consoles anyway. Just because you don't like consoles doesn't mean everybody else has too.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

A good gaming PC at 1000 bucks can also include a R9 290 and aftermarket ones have been as low as 320 bucks in the last few weeks. You are comparing apples to oranges.

A 500 dollar PC can beat out a 500 dollar console and the savings on games, no monthly fee make it way cheaper.

A 200 dollar refurbished Nintendo Wii U? That is affordable and plays non PC games. A 500 dollar x86 1.6-1.7ghz AMD with a 7790 or 7770 in it? Will be completely worthless in a few years when low level API's are standard on the PC.

I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for it in 2016. 

Oh joy an idiot. :)

Allow me to spell it out for you:

1. A good pc that will last for 2-3 year playing modern games wil cost around $1000 NEW.

2. Yes a $500 pc will beat a $500 console TODAY. Call me in 8 years and lets see how it compares the the XB1 then. You forget that PC games are far less optimized for their hardware than a console that has been in the market for a few years. Just look at Halo 4 on the 360.

3. Ummmm im talking about real consoles. Don't get me wrong I love the Wii U but it doesn't really compare the the things I'm talking about.

4. Thats your choice.

To conclude you missed the point of my post. People who play on console exclusively  aren't going to care and certainly aren't going to build a pc.

This.

My new sig.

I saw thanks. :)

And people will still buy consoles anyway. Just because you don't like consoles doesn't mean everybody else has too.  

I don't care if people buy them. It still doesn't mean they are on top. That is what his article claimed. They are fighting over second place and as I explained the writer is spinning numbers that are retail sales on games. He is so inept he thinks we buy our games at stores instead of digitally.

Add to that? Steam Big Picture mode and a HDMI cable and a console controller = a console. You can boot to Steam Big Picture mode. These "steam machines" which are running Windows have custom ui's .

Next gen are pc's just bad ones. So you can be a x86 PC and be a console but a PC can't be a console? The entire article is fanboy idiocy with numbers he doesn't understand. I have seen better fanboy rants on IGN....

Watchdogs wasn't optimized for the #nextgen consoles either. And it was a phenomenal port compared to some other games, have you never played games?

Thanks. Have never laughed so hard. I suggest tweeting this to Linus and Slick.