Looking for best headphnes/mic or headset for about $600

mattias1172

Err.. no.  The ATH-AG1 is basically a $100 headphone with a mic and some fancy paint, even less so for the 350.

@mattias1172 Your best options would probably be 

Mics: Blue Yeti/AT2020/2035  user friendly for the most part. (I have a yeti and it's one of the easiest things to setup and use, good quality as well)

Headphones: HE-500, HD650, HD600, HE-400, Mayflower's modded t50rp's if you want closed headphones are probably the best option.

If you decide on HE-500, make sure to get them from here, it's way cheaper than other places, and he has a good return policy:  http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/hifiman/products/hifiman-he-500-planar-driver-headphone-b-stock-100-tested-and-complete

He also has HE-400's for $239, amazing price IMO.

About the HD8DJ, MANY threads have been made in this subforum about people being utterly disappointed with them, and wondering how to get "more" out of them. 

I strongly recommend to stay away from them.

Secondly, about the ATH-m50 / x, I wouldn't recommend them either.  IMO they're a good "first pair of headphones after coming from a gaming headset".  But considering your budget isn't small, you can splurge and get much much nicer things.

Yea make him spend all the money he has on things that don't make a difference. If you're a spoiled child then nvm, but my advice, which is more rational, is on the 350 se still.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Yea make him spend all the money he has on things that don't make a difference. If you're a spoiled child then nvm, but my advice, which is more rational, is on the 350 se still.

I'm not sitting next to him with a gun forcing him to spend the money.

He said his budget, I'm merely helping him out with suggestions.

This is no different than you helping someone with a PC part list in builds & planning, you don't see me in there telling people like woodenmarker to stop helping people build PC-part lists for their builds do you?

I don't think so, so go away please >.>

@mattias1172 I'd stay away from Grado's, I messed around with some in a store, and the build quality is pretttttttttttttty lack-luster. They're extremely flimsy IMO, if you're going to be using them for gaming, you want something that'll stand up to hulk-smashes when you rage.

Is there any stores near you that carry high-end headphones?  You may be able to look up on audeze's website to see if there's dealers next to you, odds are if they carry audeze they'll have other things like sennheiser + grado + AKG + hifiman.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

This is no different than you helping someone with a PC part list in builds & planning, you don't see me in there telling people like woodenmarker to stop helping people build PC-part lists for their builds do you?

I don't think so, so go away please >.>

Just bounce, he is going to rep nothing his $150 $80 headphones and not have anything but. Because god knows that there is nothing better then over spending because someone isn't flexible. 

I am in NYC for 2 days and was able to go to B&H where they have a ton of headphones for you to listen to. The only thing they're missing are Hifimans and Audeze products. They even have the HD800. I tried the DJ8 and honestly they are worse than my V3 modded Fostex from Mayflower. 

It does make a difference and you're trying to make him buy crap. Yes there are good things that are cheaper but not the headsets you mentioned. If wants to spend that much then let him.

This is no different than you helping someone with a PC part list in builds & planning

Yes exactly and for that sake I would not advice anyone e.g. to buy a titan z when there is a 780 which is plenty. And just because you and me have diff. opinions on what to buy and what is actually worth it does not mean you need to be cocky dude.

Yes exactly and for that sake I would not advice anyone e.g. to buy a titan z when there is a 780 which is plenty. And just because you and me have diff. opinions on what to buy and what is actually worth it does not mean you need to be cocky dude.

Except you are recommending a $80 headphone....There are better headphones then an $80 headphone....Lots of headphones. 

Except you're telling him to buy a 750 ti, when the 780 is in his price range.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

600usd is too much bro, dont matter if u broke or rich. just get sennheiser 350 se or audiotechnica ath-ag1 if you have to spend more.

Are you deaf?

Headphones: HE-500, HD650, HD600, HE-400, Mayflower's modded t50rp's if you want closed headphones are probably the best option.

All good headphones, have had the HD650 and HE-400 from those and I find the HE-400 in another league than the HD650, both very good headphones though, and they excel in their own manners. However, if you opt for the HD650, I would really recommend you to try out the HiFiMAN HE-300 as they sound very similar to the HD650, with some nuances in the bass, otherwise they are veeery similar sounding. I actually prefer the HE-300 over the HD650, but that is my opinion of course.

I've listened to the HE-500, great headphones, but I found them too dark sounding. Although sounding a bit dark, you get a lot of audio for your money with those.

The O2+ODAC is a very solid combo, and at a budget you might not find something that matches it at its price, at least it would be hard. Maybe the Schiit Modi + Magni stack comes close.

But my last recommendation is that you actually go out and listen to some headphones, find some stores that demos them, maybe not all of them, but at least two different contenders, note down what you like and do not like about them and find the ones with less negatives than positives.

Except you are recommending a $80 headphone....There are better headphones then an $80 headphone....Lots of headphones. 

Now I don't know what kind of sennheisers you recieve in north america, but here in germany they will cost you approx. 260usd

http://www.amazon.de/Sennheiser-Special-Edition-Headset-schwarz/dp/B008O510Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405981847&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+pc+350+se

And just let further arguing be, I do not think we will ever get to an agreement.

Except you're telling him to buy a 750 ti, when the 780 is in his price range.

Wow:D Please let further comments out, I do not see this as a healthy conversation anymore.

Now I don't know what kind of sennheisers you recieve in north america, but here in germany they will cost you approx. 260usd

http://www.amazon.de/Sennheiser-Special-Edition-Headset-schwarz/dp/B008O510Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405981847&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+pc+350+se

And just let further arguing be, I do not think we will ever get to an agreement.

The PC350 ($150) is a HD518 ($75-80ish) with a mic glued to the side, in Euroland, the HD518 is 90 Euros, making the SE just more overpriced and wasteful.....You can do better for less. And it is wrong to suggest an overpriced BS headset when there is better. 

Do you guys think this would work out for him. AKG Q701 with a AT2020 USB(plus) with pop filter and a mayflower o2/amp? 

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

The problem is, OP, that with your plump budget, there's just too many options to choose from, and since you've no experience with other audiophile-approved products (so to speak), we can't really point you down the best path because no one knows what your ears will like the best. Personally, I wouldn't suggest you bother getting any mic more than a $50 Blue Snowball, and a $20 boom arm will be good enough for home use. Then there's Monoprice's desktop dac/amp and the newly released FiiO E10k which are under $100 and they kinda make the O2/ODAC seem a little too expensive, Or the Syba DAC if you don't mind the OEM look and your headphones aren't particularly insensitive. That'd leave you with $400+ for headphones. 

Again, there's so many damned good options for that kind of money that I don't even know what to push you towards. I love my HD 650's, but there's always people who prefer the flatter frequency response of the HD 600. Then there's AKG's which are also great in their own ways, but some people may want the bass of the K 712 and others the leanness of the K 702. Beyerdynamic's complete a triangle of long-lasting popular audiofeelz options with their DT 770, 880, and 990. Audio-Technica's got good offerings as well, but they're not quite as popular in the higher budget ranges. And we haven't even got to the newer boys on the block! NAD's Viso HP50 and the Focal Spirit One are the $300 Closed can kings for a warm neutral sound (meaning, they present all the frequencies fairly evenly to the human ear, not that they are flat-response'd). The Philips Fidelio X1 gets pretty great reviews for it's $200 price point. Orthodynamic headphones are all the rage on Head-Fi - modded T50RP's and the HE-400 are pretty much your only options there. 

i guess to try to make it as easy as possible, i like rich deep sound with deep bass. Kinda like the effect you get with a really good surround sound system were you feel kike your right there surrounded in it.  i dont know how much this helps but i don't know much else to say...

i guess to try to make it as easy as possible, i like rich deep sound with deep bass. Kinda like the effect you get with a really good surround sound system were you feel kike your right there surrounded in it.  i dont know how much this helps but i don't know much else to say...

It doesn't help, but I wasn't asking you to try in the first place. Basically, you just gotta flip a coin.