Looking for best headphnes/mic or headset for about $600

mattias1172

Im looking for the best headphones/mic combo or headset for about $600.  The requirements are:

-durable

-high end parts

-realistic sound

-good bass

-surround sound option for gaming

-over ear as apposed to on ear

-comfortable for long durations (within reason)

-wireless? with option for wired?

-charging stand or aftermarket holding stand

-noise cancellation would be nice

-the mic should be able to cancel out background noise to prevent static in recordings or audio

Ive been looking a lot at sennheiser at their 650 series and the hd8 dj headphones.  Also been looking at Blue microphones specifically the yeti and the snowball. if their is anything better for around the same price, i would love to hear about it.

thanks

I'd avoid wireless as at any price point you'll b able to get better sound quality from a wired phone.

Surround sound is handled by your game or software, not headphones. So I would not try to let that influence your final decision.

Other options to consider would be something from hifiman; I don't think the HD8 DJ is what you're looking for, it really is intended for DJing and is rather overpriced to boot. You should also make room in the budget for the possibility of an amp, such as the O2.

Behyrdyanamic Custom one pros with Audio Technica AT2035, Or Audio Technica ATH-M50x and the Audio Technical AT2035. And spend the money you save on a good amp and DAC. You won't regret it

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

would it help if i raised my budget a couple hundred more? or would it be throwing away money at that point? i like the O2 amp+udac and will probably invest in that, the at2035 looks nice (btw, what kind of stand should i get for that? desk stand not floor stand), but would the headphones benefit if i spent a little more? or is it like i said, throwing away money.  

would it help if i raised my budget a couple hundred more? or would it be throwing away money at that point? i like the O2 amp+udac and will probably invest in that, the at2035 looks nice (btw, what kind of stand should i get for that? desk stand not floor stand), but would the headphones benefit if i spent a little more? or is it like i said, throwing away money.

Unless you're a complete audiophile who wants to spend 100 more dollars for 1-5% better performance I guess but you'll need a interface for the at2035 or get the at 2020 for use over USB and it includes a nice desk stand. Than get the 02 because it will fall within youre budget

After that it'll be the law of diminishing returns

ok, so what ive got so far is the AT2020, ATH-M50x, and the O2 + Odac Amp. Is there anything i can do to stretch out the budget better? Would a couple hundred help vastly imporve anything here? Is there anything else i should get to make the audio/sound better? Ive got a lot of experience when it comes to computer hardware/software, but little to no experience in audio.  

ok, so what ive got so far is the AT2020, ATH-M50x, and the O2 + Odac Amp. Is there anything i can do to stretch out the budget better? Would a couple hundred help vastly imporve anything here? Is there anything else i should get to make the audio/sound better? Ive got a lot of experience when it comes to computer hardware/software, but little to no experience in audio.

I'd go with one of MayflowerElectronic's modded headphones over an M50 if you want closed cans.

At this point youre at the law of diminishing returns at this point you could add money but no it will not vastly improve anything. You won't regret this setup at all

thanks for the much appreciated advice.  Without going overboard, are there any cool little items/gadgets that would go great with this setup? I know on one video i saw someone connect their headphone jac to their amp by screwing into some sort of gold piece then inserting it into the amp.  Stuff like that thats kinda cool.  It never ceases to amuse me.  

thanks for the much appreciated advice. Without going overboard, are there any cool little items/gadgets that would go great with this setup? I know on one video i saw someone connect their headphone jac to their amp by screwing into some sort of gold piece then inserting it into the amp. Stuff like that thats kinda cool. It never ceases to amuse me.

Yup I have the same thing it makes me feel cooler and the best part is it comes included with the m50x its called a quarter inch adapter and its less susceptible to damage

You will have to get the custom 02 Amp and Odac with a 1/4 in port. Its on their website its black white or custom and just choose 1/4 in

600usd is too much bro, dont matter if u broke or rich. just get sennheiser 350 se or audiotechnica ath-ag1 if you have to spend more.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

600usd is too much bro, dont matter if u broke or rich. just get sennheiser 350 se or audiotechnica ath-ag1 if you have to spend more.

How about no, neither of those are go values and both are really $80 headphone

and both are really $80 headphone

alright dude, whatever..

Err.. no.  The ATH-AG1 is basically a $100 headphone with a mic and some fancy paint, even less so for the 350.

@mattias1172 Your best options would probably be 

Mics: Blue Yeti/AT2020/2035  user friendly for the most part. (I have a yeti and it's one of the easiest things to setup and use, good quality as well)

Headphones: HE-500, HD650, HD600, HE-400, Mayflower's modded t50rp's if you want closed headphones are probably the best option.

If you decide on HE-500, make sure to get them from here, it's way cheaper than other places, and he has a good return policy:  http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/hifiman/products/hifiman-he-500-planar-driver-headphone-b-stock-100-tested-and-complete

He also has HE-400's for $239, amazing price IMO.

About the HD8DJ, MANY threads have been made in this subforum about people being utterly disappointed with them, and wondering how to get "more" out of them. 

I strongly recommend to stay away from them.

Secondly, about the ATH-m50 / x, I wouldn't recommend them either.  IMO they're a good "first pair of headphones after coming from a gaming headset".  But considering your budget isn't small, you can splurge and get much much nicer things.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Err.. no.  The ATH-AG1 is basically a $100 headphone with a mic and some fancy paint, even less so for the 350.

AD500 which is thesame as the 500x/700/700x went as low as 50, so my statement still stands that both your mediocre options are over priced.

AD500 which is thesame as the 500x/700/700x went as low as 50, so my statement still stands that both your mediocre options are over priced.

both his mediocre options*

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

both his mediocre options*

gg my quotation experience

so with the 2020 and the O2 amp, ive got about $300 left over i can put towards headphones. Would all of the Hifi and sennheiser suggestions Lays posted be good options for this setup? I'm going for realistic sound, deep bass, clear vocals, and can work well with gaming. 

so with the 2020 and the O2 amp, ive got about $300 left over i can put towards headphones. Would all of the Hifi and sennheiser suggestions Lays posted be good options for this setup? I'm going for realistic sound, deep bass, clear vocals, and can work well with gaming.

1R sorta works, Dt990 would do you better.

You really don't need to spend $600 on audio equipment to get what you need, is my guess. At least don't go with the M50x, you can get much better sound out of something else.

You really don't need to spend $600 on audio equipment to get what you need, is my guess. At least don't go with the M50x, you can get much better sound out of something else.

thats why i asked what else i should get. 

ive been looking at Grado products.  Does anyone have any experience with the sr325e's?

Good for you brother!:) Have a nice day