Blogger fined for restaurant review

RainfallWithin

_76306158_restuarant.jpg

Quotes from BBC News source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28331598

A French judge has ruled against a blogger because her scathing restaurant review was too prominent in Google search results.

The judge ordered that the post's title be amended and told the blogger Caroline Doudet to pay damages.

Ms Doudet said the decision made it a crime to be highly ranked on search engines.

The restaurant owner said the article's prominence was unfairly hurting his business.

Ms Doudet was sued by the owner of Il Giardino restaurant in the Aquitaine region of southwestern France after she wrote a blogpost entitled "the place to avoid in Cap-Ferret: Il Giardino".

According to court documents, the review appeared fourth in the results of a Google search for the restaurant. The judge decided that the blog's title should be changed, so that the phrase: "the place to avoid" was less prominent in the results.

The judge sitting in Bordeaux also pointed out that the harm to the restaurant was exacerbated by the fact that Ms Doudet's fashion and literature blog "Cultur'elle" had around 3,000 followers, indicating she thought it was a significant number.

<Edit: text has been cut to shorten the article>

"This decision creates a new crime of 'being too highly ranked [on a search engine]', or of having too great an influence'," Ms Doudet told the BBC.

"What is perverse, is that we look for bloggers who are influential, but only if they are nice about people," she added.

The judge told Ms Doudet to amend the title of the blog and to pay €1,500 ($2,000; £1,200).

In her article, which has now been deleted, she complained of poor service and what she said was a poor attitude on the part of the owner during a visit in August 2013.

The owner took issue with the whole article. However, the judge limited her decision to its title.

<Edit: text has been cut to shorten the article>

Ms Doudet added that, because the decision was taken at an emergency hearing, she did not have time to find legal representation, so had represented herself in court.

Personal Thoughts

This court decision is completely disgraceful. It will encourage other businesses to sue as well if they receive negative reviews that they deserve. Not only that, the blogger in question has absolutely no control where her article is ranked in search results.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's fucking stupid.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

so free speech doesn't exist anymore in France, hmmmmmmmmm

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Wow, I worked at a restaurant for about 7 months, seems like something the people I worked for would do. Reminds me of that Amazon router review that ended in a fine and house warrant for the product. 

This makes me want to eat even less on II Giardino. Nobody should go to this place anymore.

Everyone is entitled to write an opinion on a product or service, even if it kills the business. That's how free speech works. 

Maybe it should be illegal to be that stupid and that high ranked in the legal system.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

This makes me want to eat even less on II Giardino. Nobody should go to this place anymore.

Everyone is entitled to write an opinion on a product or service, even if it kills the business. That's how free speech works. 

yes, now go make a Reddit tread, and a Facebook + twitter notice and before you know that restaurant will be dead. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

This is actually sickening to read, and that she had to represent herself no less. GG Il Giardino you probably just made more people hate you because of your bully tactics, then one highly viewed review.

Who the fuck appointed that stupid judge? THAT is my question.

Oh, everything can be done.

Our president got a man into an...uh..asylum(where people with mental problems are held) because that man spitted the president.

So yeah...

Our president is a retard...too bad he has very powerful people supporting him,because otherwise he'd be long gone.He brokes the Constitution like every week.Once he even threatened with death a man(live on TV) because of things his wife was doing(his husband was the leverage).Not to mention he took part in a political party's propaganda,which is considered illegal in the Constitution.(This was happening while the Russians were threatening to bomb Romania...so yeah)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

yes, now go make a Reddit tread, and a Facebook + twitter notice and before you know that restaurant will be dead. 

I'll leave that to the French 

Oh, everything can be done.

Our president got a man into an...uh..asylum(where people with mental problems are held) because that man spitted the president.

So yeah...

Oh I know I'm from Mexico, Government officials and even Mayors of towns have been assassinated by drug lords which tells you pretty much they're in their pockets, taking shake downs straight out of tax payer's pockets.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well so much for freedom of speech. Technological illiteracy is to blame here. Explaining the internet to an old person is like explaining science to republicans.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

They should have just sued Google.

Oh wait, Google would have spanked them in the court.

tempted to create 100 spam web pages all posting the original article with title.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Why have something called a review if people can't put negative reviews without getting sued. Like the saying goes if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w