New Parking App in Boston Allows Users to Auction Off Public Spaces- Mayor Angered

13CA350

Quite simply, Haystack users can alert others in real-time of when they're leaving a particular parking space. This gives parking space searchers the opportunity to reserve said space for a cool $3. Even more interesting is that if someone has a parking space with no intention to dislodge from it, for the right price you can offer that space to another user for an extended period of time

Haystack is an app that basically says "Sure, I'll give you my spot for $3." Mayor Marty Walsh doesn't agree.

Do you agree? Would you use this? Comment below.

Source:

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/07/11/haystack-parking-app-to-launch-in-boston-july-15/

I regret clicking on this because of how uninteresting it turned out to be.

hell no i dont agree - this can be easily abused

people will end up  taking over parking lots just for the sake of auctioning it off

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I doubt it would catch on.

If it does, it wouldn't surprise me if we now have parking trolls.

Error: 410

And who enforces this? What happens if somebody auctions off a space and then I come in without using the app and just park there anyway? I wouldn't say the app is illegal necessarily, but it could be considered fraudulent since they're selling something that they don't own and may not actually be able to deliver.

I'd be happy about an app where you simply let the users know if you're leaving a parking spot, then the others know there's probably a free space there and it becomes a nice little convenient thing that can maybe help you find a parking spot (though I don't really want to encourage people looking at their phones when driving). Alternatively, I'd love to see a parking ramp let you reserve a spot in advance so you can know before you leave whether there's a spot open and don't get where you're going and suddenly be late because you can't find a spot.

we have something like this in baltimore i thinks its good in a way since some parking garages charge $10 or even $20 and you can hardly ever park on the street cause of tow away zones and its next to impossible to find a spot near a meter