Google Glass? How do you feel about it.

sperkowsky

the whole point of their job is enforcing the laws......I know there are the corrupt cops out there but majority of them play by the rules

He was referring to the NSA.

Also police brutality is a growing problem, unrelated but it shows other issues with local law enforcement.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

im excited with what they can do with it but 1st gen product is 1st gen :(

it's 2nd gen now ;)

insert signature here

The difference is that it's much harder to tell if someone is filming you with glass. If they have their phone out and are pointing it at you then they're probably filming you. Same with cameras. With Glass, if they're looking at you, they could be filming you. Simple as that.

To play devil's advocate for a bit:

Humans tend to recognise and focus on each other's faces rather than their hands; does it

not stand to reason that a person using Google Glass would therefore be more noticeable

than a person using a smartphone? I feel that if I were tasked with secretly recording a

conversation I would be significantly less likely to arouse suspicion by utilising a smartphone

than using Glass or a similar device. A smartphone is much easier to conceal, and if you

arouse suspicion then I feel it would be a lot easier to find an excuse for.

To address privacy concerns, from my understanding Glass features an LED at the front of

the device which will illuminate when the device accesses the camera. As a result of this,

it conveys that it is being used to capture images or video much more effectively

than a typical smartphone does.

Personally, I think that devices such as Glass will go on to become tremendously useful

and versatile tools which we will go on to take for granted. I believe the privacy concerns

we have are fair - but the target of these concerns should be the users who would make

use of these devices to invade other people's privacy, rather than be upon the device

itself.

In short - I feel Glass is a sign of the future. I believe that once technology has evolved

enough, devices such as Glass will replace our smartphones. They will offer a more

intuitive control method and will act as an overlay on one's life rather than a distraction

from it. I'm excited to see how the technology evolves. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

-snip-

The problem I have with Glass is Google's overall attitude with privacy. The original Glass model did not have the LED, which I think is indicative of the kind of company they are period. On top of that, when people asked to have it added, it was only begrudgingly that they did so.

I'm not saying you're 007 or anything recording secret meetings, but for someone who doesn't understand Glass, which is more noticeable: walking down the street with a tiny light on your face or walking down the street with a black box out pointing it at things?

Thinking about Google having access to possibly millions of face cameras any time they want to makes me shiver, given their "don't be evil" motto and the fact that their entire business is built off of datamining. I would like to see a promise that they aren't secretly recording all of the video regardless of whether or not the camera is on and that they wouldn't otherwise use it to show me more convincing ads. The location data is bad enough in my opinion but now cameras? That's a line to not cross in my mind.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The problem I have with Glass is Google's overall attitude with privacy. The original Glass model did not have the LED, which I think is indicative of the kind of company they are period. On top of that, when people asked to have it added, it was only begrudgingly that they did so.

I'm not saying you're 007 or anything recording secret meetings, but for someone who doesn't understand Glass, which is more noticeable: walking down the street with a tiny light on your face or walking down the street with a black box out pointing it at things?

Thinking about Google having access to possibly millions of face cameras any time they want to makes me shiver, given their "don't be evil" motto and the fact that their entire business is built off of datamining. I would like to see a promise that they aren't secretly recording all of the video regardless of whether or not the camera is on and that they wouldn't otherwise use it to show me more convincing ads. The location data is bad enough in my opinion but now cameras? That's a line to not cross in my mind.

thats like saying apple and other phone makers are secretly listening to you through your phones mic i mean seriously you think google would even risk their reputation for that.

thats like saying apple and other phone makers are secretly listening to you through your phones mic i mean seriously you think google would even risk their reputation for that.

That IS their reputation. They do tons of less than comforting stuff with data. If you care about privacy, the #1 rule is don't use Google or Google products.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That IS their reputation. They do tons of less than comforting stuff with data. If you care about privacy, the #1 rule is don't use Google or Google products.

I would like to be linked 1 article from a trusted resource about them doing something threatening the privacy of users

I would like to be linked 1 article from a trusted resource about them doing something threatening the privacy of users

Are you serious?

Reading and datamining every single email sent in Gmail, showing you results based on what they think you'd like, showing you ads based off of the same data, logging everything that gets typed into Chrome, collecting location data on Android, planning to show you ads using Nest data, logging network passwords on Android...this is all searchable and more. I can't link all of it because it would fill several pages.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Are you serious?

Reading and datamining every single email sent in Gmail, showing you results based on what they think you'd like, showing you ads based off of the same data, logging everything that gets typed into Chrome, collecting location data on Android, planning to show you ads using Nest data, logging network passwords on Android...this is all searchable and more. I can't link all of it because it would fill several pages.

and what is google going to do with that info most of it is for the user I mean I personally think its cool that I get ads for computer stuff rather than for cat supplies. I like that I dont have to type in passwords for everything. Google has a big part in all of our lives and they are continuing to shape the future. Im no fanboy infact I dont even reguarly use an android phone but I stand by google and dont think they are doing anything to harm the user. 

Don't become a glasshole.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

and what is google going to do with that info most of it is for the user I mean I personally think its cool that I get ads for computer stuff rather than for cat supplies. I like that I dont have to type in passwords for everything. Google has a big part in all of our lives and they are continuing to shape the future. Im no fanboy infact I dont even reguarly use an android phone but I stand by google and dont think they are doing anything to harm the user. 

They're profiting off the info.

I'm not a product, that's why I don't use Google products. You seem to be a pretty typical complacent Google customer, but personally I don't want them reading all of my emails to give me more ads, I don't like them taking my WiFi passwords, I don't like them logging when I leave the house, and I don't want them knowing where I am at all times. If you don't think that's harmful to yourself then fine, but don't tell me it's not harming me, because it makes me sick and quite frankly you make me sick as well.

So young and already a part of the massive Google ad revenue machine...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That is true. But of course, Glass was not at that point a fully-fledged

or developed device. It was an idea that Google were rolling with so

that they could learn from it and work on building something better.

The lack of an LED is more indicative of the 'science project' nature

of the device than it is of Google's disregard of the user's right to

privacy I feel.

I would say the phone would be the more innocuous device, at least

for now. As a society we are generally accustomed to seeing people

walking down the street using a smartphone for all different kinds of

purposes - I feel that most people will fail to notice or care that a

person is taking photos or videos of them unless the user makes it

very obvious that they are doing so. Google Glass is a much less

common device, and as such will draw a great deal of attention when

used in public - especially when it has a bright LED active.

It is true, a company having access to such a wealth of data is some-

what intimidating. But having that data in and of itself is not actually

a problem - the problem arises when they misplace, misappropriate

or misuse that data. They must be held accountable for the way they

store and use the data, and the specifics of such are vital to how

trusted they can be, or at least to how trustd they are perceived to be.

As for whether or not Google are secretly recording video at all times

on Glass - this is not possible. Owing to ergonomic requirements

of a device like Glass it has a very limited capacity battery. As such,

continuous video recording will result in extraordinarily poor battery

life. They also lack the storage or networking capabilities required

to constantly store or transmit the video recording. This could be a

legitimate concern in the future when the technology is advanced

enough to enable such a thing, but for the moment it remains out

of reach.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

They're profiting off the info.

I'm not a product, that's why I don't use Google products. You seem to be a pretty typical complacent Google customer, but personally I don't want them reading all of my emails to give me more ads, I don't like them taking my WiFi passwords, I don't like them logging when I leave the house, and I don't want them knowing where I am at all times. If you don't think that's harmful to yourself then fine, but don't tell me it's not harming me, because it makes me sick and quite frankly you make me sick as well.

So young and already a part of the massive Google ad revenue machine...

well than ok but ads are simply something that are going to be there regardless without ads there's no internet and ads are meant to draw you in to a product or service which is something that I may want. If I see an ad for a new domain website perhaps I'll check it out and I may have found a website I like. I'm cool with google making money off of me because I think they give back. Put it this way I got to go to a google office in the middle of the city to meet 1 on 1 with a google glass staff member for up to an hour and a half. That staff member and space is costing them quite a bit of money I mean it's an entire floor in the middle of nyc. What are they getting out of it not much because even if 1 out of every 10 people buys glass after they demonstrated It for the full price currently they are still losing money.

-snip-

The thing is they already have a reputation for misusing the data, not strictly speaking legally but many users don't like their emails being read.

You have a good point with the battery however it could be storing data and downloading it when you charge it, this is getting really conspiratorial so I'm going to stop. Google does deal in exabytes when it comes to data though, and I would not at all be surprised if they had room for tons of video. That's basically what YouTube is anyway, it's just that with YouTube people choose what gets recorded.

-snip-

Ads are designed to psychologically beat you into submission and buy the product. You may feel as if you're making an informed decision however that is what a good ad feels like and it will not actually be that case. Also the whole "without ads there's no internet" thing is completely false and needs to stop, there are plenty of other ways of making money using the internet that don't involve psychological warfare, from subscriptions to asking for donations to using non-virtual means of supporting virtual sites. There may be no Google without ads, though as I'm sure you know I'm perfectly fine with that.

So apparently giving back involves creating an expensive place for rich people to go and look at $1500 smartphone eyeglasses. I can guarantee anyone that's talking directly to you there is probably getting paid slightly above minimum wage. They are not losing money, that's why it costs $1500. They need to put up the whole showroom act so that's why they overcharge for it, among other things.

Google is all about money. They aren't about making your life better, they are about showing you more convincing ads so that they get paid more. They show you more convincing ads using datamining. Datamining is Google's bread and butter, it is involved at least partially in every product they create. They bought Android to figure out how to show more convincing ads to people even when they weren't in front of a computer and datamine their location 24/7, they made Chrome OS to make it easier for even more people to see their ads. They made Chrome to log what URLs people type in, and use that data to show more ads, and it all comes back to datamining and using the data to show you better ads. That's what I don't like about Google. They aren't about the user, they only want the best user experience so that even more people will see their ads. Even if they do make your life better as a result, it's not because they wanted to but because it was a side effect that they carefully calculated beforehand  would make them a lot of money and allow them to show you more and better ads.

With Google, it's all DATA DATA DATA then ADS ADS ADS then MONEY MONEY MONEY. That's literally their thought process for everything they make, I'm telling you, the problem they start with every single time is "how do we collect more data and how will this let us show our sheep better ads?" Like I said, I'm not a product, so that's why I don't like Google.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The thing is they already have a reputation for misusing the data, not strictly speaking legally but many users don't like their emails being read.

You have a good point with the battery however it could be storing data and downloading it when you charge it, this is getting really conspiratorial so I'm going to stop. Google does deal in exabytes when it comes to data though, and I would not at all be surprised if they had room for tons of video. That's basically what YouTube is anyway, it's just that with YouTube people choose what gets recorded.

Ads are designed to psychologically beat you into submission and buy the product. You may feel as if you're making an informed decision however that is what a good ad feels like and it will not actually be that case. Also the whole "without ads there's no internet" thing is completely false and needs to stop, there are plenty of other ways of making money using the internet that don't involve psychological warfare, from subscriptions to asking for donations to using non-virtual means of supporting virtual sites. There may be no Google without ads, though as I'm sure you know I'm perfectly fine with that.

So apparently giving back involves creating an expensive place for rich people to go and look at $1500 smartphone eyeglasses. I can guarantee anyone that's talking directly to you there is probably getting paid slightly above minimum wage. They are not losing money, that's why it costs $1500. They need to put up the whole showroom act so that's why they overcharge for it, among other things.

Google is all about money. They aren't about making your life better, they are about showing you more convincing ads so that they get paid more. They show you more convincing ads using datamining. Datamining is Google's bread and butter, it is involved at least partially in every product they create. They bought Android to figure out how to show more convincing ads to people even when they weren't in front of a computer and datamine their location 24/7, they made Chrome OS to make it easier for even more people to see their ads. They made Chrome to log what URLs people type in, and use that data to show more ads, and it all comes back to datamining and using the data to show you better ads. That's what I don't like about Google. They aren't about the user, they only want the best user experience so that even more people will see their ads. Even if they do make your life better as a result, it's not because they wanted to but because it was a side effect that they carefully calculated beforehand would make them a lot of money and allow them to show you more and better ads.

With Google, it's all DATA DATA DATA then ADS ADS ADS then MONEY MONEY MONEY. That's literally their thought process for everything they make, I'm telling you, the problem they start with every single time is "how do we collect more data and how will this let us show our sheep better ads?" Like I said, I'm not a product, so that's why I don't like Google.

google was the first search engine to not include ads on the front page they also in the search engine make the ads pretty discreet. That's what made then google so it's kinda ironic you are making them out to be a bunch of ad whores. Go watch bloombergs google documentary thing it's on netflix you will be informed on the company in a way it seems you want to ignore. I personally use chrome because it's fast. I use google docs because it's convient. I use youtube because I love it. I use google sites for projects because it's easy and makes a good impression. I use google stuff because it works the best for me and because it's good tell me where they are making money with google docs there are no ads on it..... Or with a lot of there programs. You seem like a very one sided person your on the hate google bandwagon clearly so you won't even accept that without google our lives would be worse.

-snip-

Except they wouldn't because I don't use any Google products. They didn't put ads on the front page because they discovered they got more clicks when they were in the results.

Google is a bunch of ad whores, you're basically the only person that denies it. The other Google fanboys just don't care.

Everything I've said thus far is a fact, their whole motto is "don't be evil." I don't need a 14 year old telling me my life would be worse without Google, because I know what life was like before Google, and it was better. I admire their technological prowess but it was all created for the purpose of showing you ads. Google would not make any money without ads, that's why they have to be so good at showing them to you. Google reads your Google Docs, and uses that data to show you more...I don't even think I have to say it. Also Google Sites? You do realize they show ads on Google Sites right? And Wordpress is far better than Google Sites...Google Sites is only used by 14 year old Google fanboys. I encourage you to name a product that Google is not actively showing ads with or datamining.

Both YouTube and Android weren't Google products originally, but you were too young at the time to notice so I don't blame you. As I said before, there is not a single product in which datamining is involved in some way, but seeing as you don't care there's not much I can say.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Except they wouldn't because I don't use any Google products. They didn't put ads on the front page because they discovered they got more clicks when they were in the results.

Google is a bunch of ad whores, you're basically the only person that denies it. The other Google fanboys just don't care.

Everything I've said thus far is a fact, their whole motto is "don't be evil." I don't need a 14 year old telling me my life would be worse without Google, because I know what life was like before Google, and it was better. I admire their technological prowess but it was all created for the purpose of showing you ads. Google would not make any money without ads, that's why they have to be so good at showing them to you. Google reads your Google Docs, and uses that data to show you more...I don't even think I have to say it. Also Google Sites? You do realize they show ads on Google Sites right? And Wordpress is far better than Google Sites...Google Sites is only used by 14 year old Google fanboys. I encourage you to name a product that Google is not actively showing ads with or datamining.

Both YouTube and Android weren't Google products originally, but you were too young at the time to notice so I don't blame you. As I said before, there is not a single product in which datamining is involved in some way, but seeing as you don't care there's not much I can say.

do you use youtube if so you use a google product and judging by the fact that your on a forum based off of youtube channel I highly doubt you don't use youtube. Have you never used google docs it's such an good program for editing docs with others I would be surprised if you haven't. What search engine do you use. What browser do you use. Also if your going to argue atleast get your facts straight the reason google didn't put ads on there home page was 1 simple reason it was speed. In the beginning stages of google speed is what they cared about was speed. Ads were an after thought of google in fact google didn't have ads for many years untill they realized they needed money. The first google program that comes to mind that doesn't data mine is google earth however I would say google sketchup (but google doesn't own it anymore) I'm no google fanboy I'm really not but since I was born I lived with google and google has been a big part of my life.

do you use youtube if so you use a google product and judging by the fact that your on a forum based off of youtube channel I highly doubt you don't use youtube. Have you never used google docs it's such an good program for editing docs with others I would be surprised if you haven't. What search engine do you use. What browser do you use. Also if your going to argue atleast get your facts straight the reason google didn't put ads on there home page was 1 simple reason it was speed. In the beginning stages of google speed is what they cared about was speed. Ads were an after thought of google in fact google didn't have ads for many years untill they realized they needed money. The first google program that comes to mind that doesn't data mine is google earth however I would say google sketchup (but google doesn't own it anymore) I'm no google fanboy I'm really not but since I was born I lived with google and google has been a big part of my life.

I use the Lynx browser, and I search with DuckDuckGo. I watch Linus's videos using a flash downloading add-on through Iceweasel. No, I haven't used Google Docs, I don't even really use YouTube. I write all of my documents in either LibreOffice when it needs to be .docx compatible, or vi when it doesn't.

I used Google back when it first came out, back when it was a Stanford student project it didn't have ads, but as soon as it became a company: http://www.businessinsider.com/look-at-how-much-google-search-has-changed-since-1998-2012-2?op=1 (scroll down) "And here's what search results looked like for the first few years. A list of blue links with ads on the right side." Ads have always been their thing. I don't know why you're trying to tell me they didn't used to have ads, I was using Google when you were in the womb. They cared about speed because it made people want to use their engine, which would make them more money. 

All you need to do is search "google earth privacy" and I think you'll change your mind. Sketchup again was not a Google product originally, and Google only bought it so more people would upload building models to Google Earth. Why did they want people to upload models to Google Earth? Damn this is getting repetitive. This is all verifiable through cited Wikipedia articles which I'm sure you can find yourself. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Did you seriously just say your referencing Wikipedia articles you know how Wikipedia works I assume. If I wanted to I could write something that said google supports racism on a Wikipedia page is it true no but it's on Wikipedia so please stop just stop. I'm amazed with how much you have worked to avoid google I would be interested to hear what phone you use also but you seem like you really hate them.

Am I the only one still waiting for the next logical step, a personal computer integrated into your brain? (no wifi though..... no wireless anything in there please)

I just want cybernetic eyes, and a damned music player in my head, visible in my field of vision.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Am I the only one still waiting for the next logical step, a personal computer integrated into your brain? (no wifi though..... no wireless anything in there please)

I just want cybernetic eyes, and a damned music player in my head, visible in my field of vision.

hahaha that sounds like a pretty bad idea