chinese couple sell children for video games

AlexGoesHigh

the facepalm... my god...

1145798-941670_937204_facepalm_implied_s

and it isn't the first time...

more info here:

child-trafficker.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

Even for China — often the butt of Western gamer jokes about Internet addiction, boot camps to cure it, and neglectful, obsessed parents — the report sounds bizarre: A couple there are in jail, accused of selling two sons to child traffickers, and using the proceeds to buy virtual items in free-to-play games.

Yet it isn't the first report of Chinese parents selling children to fund a gaming habit. Three years ago, a story out of the same province of southern China told of parents selling three children, with the proceeds funding their collective gaming habit.

First, this week's story, reported by a television station in Guangdong. The couple in question is described as young and unwed and in a jailhouse interview the mother described her plight: Neither child was a planned pregnancy, and the father (pictured) had no intention of supporting them. The first child was sold to traffickers from Fujian, according the report; when they sold the second, the baby's paternal grandfather turned them in.

"[The father] likes buying items in online games, and he likes staying out all night at internet cafes," the mother said. [stories use pseudonyms for both of the accused.] Not only were the children seen as a drain on the money he'd spend on those games, the proceeds from selling them went to fund the habit.

Internet addiction has become a top-of-mind subject for a country where it is officially classified as a clinical disorder and so-called "boot camps" exist to wean youngsters off their screen addiction. Child trafficking, whether actually selling a child or forcing one to beg, is a visible problem in China and criminal punishments go all the way up to death. This latest story unites the two controversies.

The parents are being held in jail awaiting trial.

added info sauce: Polygon

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Well, you gotta pay for that DLC somehow.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

finally. the facepalm has been implied

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Well at least the children are safe now from their maniac parents.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I wonder what game they were playing. It wasn't CSGO because they mentioned the parents playing a F2P game.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Well at least the children are safe now from their maniac parents.

they aren't they are in the hand of the smugglers, police is searching for them

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

they aren't they are in the hand of the smugglers, police is searching for them

Yeah, if you watched the video you would know lol.

I wonder what game they were playing. It wasn't CSGO because they mentioned the parents playing a F2P game.

probably something that only works in china F2P games are very P2W there because it way more profitable that in other place, i wouldn't be surprised if lots of user blows the equivalent of 100$ in very few items

terrible news but this ain't tech news

I didn't think Second Life even existed anymore O.o

It does. And it is jusst the biggest piece of glitchy shit ever... Clipping, all the clipping.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300