Anyone notice all the forums generalizations ?

Wheew, read the list and noticed I have none of those! Yeay! I'm not a Generalist!

Neither do I, except for ASUS motherboard :(.

My first build = Half Corsair, half ASUS. Seagate Baracuda drive. Booted first time. no issues.

Have installed 2 more drives and flipped PSU. no issues.

MSI video card....no issues. These things just work.

Sidewinder X4 Mouse and keyboard by MS. Driver issues and the mouse doesnt power on woth the rest of the system sometimes. You dont see MS on your list.

I'm really tired of people recommending Corsair CX power supplies (they're not great really) and Corsair Vengeance RAM (severely limits your options in terms of CPU coolers and the green PCB (on black and blue modules) is :/  I'm not really bothered if someone mentions them but when people recommend then over the G.Skills I mention which is another top brand with matching colors and better cooler compatibility and cheaper, I'm just like *facepalm*

Then there's the hype about Noctuas, you'd think they have ten times the CFM and half the noise of the next best fan reading this forum, so many high budget builds people say they "need" to have Noctuas.

And the Samsung 840; there are  better options honestly, you can get fine MLC drives for the price; TLC is preeeetty meh.

Some recommendations make sense; the Define R4 is a great case and has a great style to it and isn't overpriced.  The 7950 is a beast card in terms of power and value and ASUS/MSI have some of the best cooling designs and styling (PCBs aren't too exotic colored). But sometimes people are recommending worse, more expensive products, just because they're popular or whatever, or overhyping how much better something is even though they have zero experience with it, but it got the Linus sticker of approval therefore it must leave everything else in the dust...

The brand favoritism can be misleading sometimes.  For example, Corsair is a favorite for PSUs, but Corsair doesn't actually manufacture any PSUs.  They're rebranded Seasonics.  There are only a handful of actual PSU manufacturers, Seasonic being one of them.

That's actually a common misconception, Corsair has moved away from SeaSonic as their OEM.  The only SeaSonic units left are the gold AX series.  The old HX series and some of the old TX series (with the old style stickers) were SeaSonics.  The bulk of Corsairs power supplies are made by Channel Well (blehh) and the red AX series are made by Flextronics which are flooded with coil whine complaints on Newegg reviews as are the Channel Well CX power supplies.  Seems to have been addressed in the AXi series at least.  The HX series also made by Channel Well seem to be of decent quality... the ones I've used at least didn't whine.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to just get SeaSonic power supplies though; Corsair, XFX, etc aren't obligated to use SeaSonic and there is no guarantee they always will, so every time they release a new series you have to go research to find out who made it (or sometimes each unit within a series, half the Antec Earthwatts PSUs are SeaSonics, half of them aren't).  With SeaSonic, you're always getting a SeaSonic, you don't have to deal with this nonsense.  Plus if you were going to get a rebranded SeaSonic unit anyway you might as well just get it straight from them.

I try to recommend the Gigabyte Windforce edition of GPU because of the good air cooling and looks and noise.

I don't think i have ever recommended a Noctua fan. I usually try to recommend stuff that would look good, same goes for motherboards.

Choosing a case.... I guess it's up to the person... most modern cases have good airflow, so it's up to them to choose whatever looks good. I understand that they might be looking for a certain something that is supported in a case, in which other people can point them in the right direction. But other than that it should be completely up to the user to decide.

If it happens to be all corsair, Noctua, and Asus stuff then I guess that's what they want.

It's popular because most of the tech review people recommend this stuff, and it has an impact on the people watching.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The brand favoritism can be misleading sometimes.  For example, Corsair is a favorite for PSUs, but Corsair doesn't actually manufacture any PSUs.  They're rebranded Seasonics.  There are only a handful of actual PSU manufacturers, Seasonic being one of them.

That's actually a common misconception, Corsair has moved away from SeaSonic as their OEM.  The only SeaSonic units left are the gold AX series.  The old HX series and some of the old TX series (with the old style stickers) were SeaSonics.  The bulk of Corsairs power supplies are made by Channel Well (blehh) and the red AX series are made by Flextronics which are flooded with coil whine complaints on Newegg reviews as are the Channel Well CX power supplies.  Seems to have been addressed in the AXi series at least.  The HX series also made by Channel Well seem to be of decent quality... the ones I've used at least didn't whine.

I recently looked this up for somebody regarding the AX760 vs the AX760i, actually. The

760i is made by Flextronics while the 760 is made by Seasonic (which matches exactly with

what you're saying).

What I'd be interested in is a Delta PSU for normal end users. I read a few reviews on

some of their Server PSUs a few months back, and it was a thing of beauty with regards

to performance, component choice and build quality. Naturally they're not really suited

for your typical PC (too loud, too expensive), but I'd be extremely curious to see what

Delta could do with a top-of-the-line consumer PSU.

Aside from that I have gotten myself an Enermax Platimax 1200 W. Enermax can sometimes

be less than perfect when it comes to voltage control, but at least their top models

have phenomenal component choice and build quality (not to mention I love how they look),

and Enermax actually do manufacture their own PSUs (at least some of them, I think they've

outsourced some of the lower-range models, not sure on that one). And even with less

than perfection they're still extremely good, albeit a bit expensive (you do get what

you're paying for though, top quality electronic components do cost more, as does in-house

R&D and production).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

That's actually a common misconception, Corsair has moved away from SeaSonic as their OEM.  The only SeaSonic units left are the gold AX series.  The old HX series and some of the old TX series (with the old style stickers) were SeaSonics.

Well yeah, I was generalizing, because I figure most people only buy the TX, HX, and AX series.  :lol:

But that's interesting, I had thought all the TX, HX, and AX series PSUs (except for AXi) were SeaSonics.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

This is one of the reasons I prefer to just get SeaSonic power supplies though; Corsair, XFX, etc aren't obligated to use SeaSonic and there is no guarantee they always will, so every time they release a new series you have to go research to find out who made it (or sometimes each unit within a series, half the Antec Earthwatts PSUs are SeaSonics, half of them aren't).  With SeaSonic, you're always getting a SeaSonic, you don't have to deal with this nonsense.  Plus if you were going to get a rebranded SeaSonic unit anyway you might as well just get it straight from them.

Nicely put, i still don't understand why are people buying re branded PSU's, you are just paying more for the brand.... just buy a SeaSonic and get the best of the best :)

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

i dont think it was very smart making this topic becus now you only have people saying: this is better that that and then the other guy says no this is beter and now you have an ongoing discusion 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

On the Dominator Platinums, people want them for the looks and what they add to their build. I don't have them on my rig, but wife has them on hers. She said the lighting effect looked cool and she wanted them. I have to admit, they look damn good. Oh and overpriced? I don't know about that to be honest. I mean, lets look at the two main features that you get with going Dominator Platinums. Lighting effects and Corsair Link. 

NOT A INSULT TO ANYONE!

I noticed there are a lot of things that people automatically think is always right or the only way to go and what not.

Cases:corsair

Fans:noctua

RAM:Domitnator platinums

Headsets:Vengeance 2000

Keyboard:ducky

Mice: Corsair or razer

Phones: HTC one

Graphics cards: ASUS or MSI

PSU: corsair

SSD: corsair

Watercooling (closed loop): corsair

GPU:7950,660ti,670

MB: asus

I am just as guilty of doing these as other people and i know its because these are good brands but i think its funny that if you have been here long enough you know what people are gonna say.

Post any brand you notice people recommend a lot.

Only a few i would back corsair are a good company but i like samsung for SSDs and i like kingston for my Ram. Headset would have to be sennheiser as the V2000 i thought were average. And for phone il stick with Nexus.

Also AMD cards and miro stuttering is just ahhh the miro stuttering is not noticeable and this has been proved many times.

I've yet to see a dyed noctua fan that looks good.  And feel free to link some for me, because that would give me some hope, I honestly haven't looked very hard.  

This guy did a great job

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=35185

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

Minjon, on 21 May 2013 - 4:16 PM, said:

Nicely put, i still don't understand why are people buying re branded PSU's, you are just paying more for the brand.... just buy a SeaSonic and get the best of the best :)

Usually the process is more or less this: Seasonic develop a PSU platform and offer

that for sale to different brands. Depending on their desires, those brands then

either ask Seasonic (or any other OEM) to make certain changes for their specific

model or they have their own engineers tweak the basic platform until it is what

they want.

BeQuiet has at least one PSU that's made like this, it's one of the more recent

units from the upper end of the power spectrum I think.

So just because Seasonic make Corsair PSUs does not mean you can buy the same

PSU from Seasonic as you can buy from Corsair. It might be the same underlying

platform, but often certain changes have been made between the two. Whether or

not these changes are significant probably depends on model, OEM and vendor.

The process can of course be different (maybe a vendor asks an OEM to develop

a new platform specifically for them, but that costs more of course), but from

everything I've read this seems to be the route most often taken.

legopc, on 21 May 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:

i dont think it was very smart making this topic becus now you only have people saying: this is better that that and then the other guy says no this is beter and now you have an ongoing discusion

Well isn't at least part of an online forum's point to have an ongoing discussion?

And so far it's not really that bad, I wouldn't exactly say this is a flame war at

the moment. This can of course change, but I'd say the course this thread has taken

so far is pretty acceptable, at least to me personally.

Besides, I do think the OP's original point is quite legitimate TBH.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

NOT A INSULT TO ANYONE!

I noticed there are a lot of things that people automatically think is always right or the only way to go and what not.

Cases:corsair

Fans:noctua

RAM:Domitnator platinums

Headsets:Vengeance 2000

Keyboard:ducky

Mice: Corsair or razer

Phones: HTC one

Graphics cards: ASUS or MSI

PSU: corsair

SSD: corsair

Watercooling (closed loop): corsair

GPU:7950,660ti,670

MB: asus

I am just as guilty of doing these as other people and i know its because these are good brands but i think its funny that if you have been here long enough you know what people are gonna say.

Post any brand you notice people recommend a lot.

This is good marketing ;) But if you check out most of the tech channels, except for logan, they are all pretty much pinned down to a few major brands such as corsair and asus.

The fact that people are only aware of a very few brands and actually follow them blindly is because they are exposed to it more than to other brands, that's good marketing, that's what marketing-psychologists are payed for, but don't be fooled that easily ^^

[This is also the reason an Intel Response Squad is a horrible idea. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/17902-intel-response-squad-possibly-hurting-the-forum/]

In my oppinion:

Cases:

• Xigmatek has many AWESOME cases, from full ally cubes to monstrous towers that are awesome to watercool [owning one myself - elysium] yet Logan is the only one to actually review them [Except for the Elysium which made it to TTL aswell if I am not mistaken]
  • Fractal Design is more mainstream I know, but they make quality cases, using a Define Mini as "running @ night pc" and it's awesome

Fans:

• Noctua actually makes probably the best fans.
  • Xigmatek has decent fans, the airflow / static pressure fans that came stock are very decent, and very quiet, especially when regulated.
  • Phobya G-Silent fans are quite nice aswell, there is quieter fans, but for 70$ / 9 Fans there is not much to complain, LED, decent noise, and good airflow.

RAM:

• Kingston for some reason is really underrepresented, they make some of the highest quality RAM avabaile, better than Corsair and much longer if I am not mistake
  • G.Skill very very good RAM aswell and quite cheap usually
  • Mushkin has nice ram too

Headsets:

• Corsair headset are awful and really overpriced for their performance.
  • Sennheiser, Sony, Denon, Technics, AKG, pick anything and you get better performance.

Keyboards:

• Ducky are quite awesome keyboards indeed.
  • CM Storm, WASD and Filco are from the same factory, have the same quality and 99% of the same components.
  • Corsair keyboards are horribly overpriced, only come in MX Red, and their keys feel weird, kinda too small.

Mice:

• Corsair I don't see why people buy these mice. I have tried them plenty of times and they feel crappy and laggy.
  • Logitech probably one of the most experienced designer of peripherals is not getting much attention these days.
  • Steelseries makes decent mice, but they are quite expensive, and my Sensei MLG is having some issues.

Phones:

• I have made bad experiences, very very bad experiences with HTC phones, and will most likely never ever even think of buying one again.
  • I'm all Samsung on this ^^

GPUs:

• ASUS make decent GPUs yes, but their customer service is worse than cancer. Especially here if the warranty is not covered by the shop, it is HORRIBLE. [still having a lawsuit running against their "official service partner"] So I avoid buying ASUS and if I get to the decision that ASUS is what suits me best for the given purpose, I rather pay 20$ more at a shop that I know will replace my stuff immediately and will not send it off to those retards to be "fixed" [usually came back WAY worse than before]
  • MSI nothing to complain about MSI so far, I like MSI
  • Gigabyte probably has the most awesome dual-slot coolers out there [Windforce 3, those cards are inaudible and run very cool.]
  • Zotac makes decent stuff aswell.

PSU:

• Seasonic probably makes the best PSUs out there
  • XFX has nice PSUs
  • Xigmatek / Cooler Master have decent PSUs

SSD:

• Probably the last two brands I'd ever consider buying a SSD from ever again are Corsair and OCZ, both have disappointed me deeply by not being remotely as fast as advertised and not very reliable.
  • Kingson / Samsung are my SSDs of choice, depending on budget.

GPU [Again]:

• 7950 is a very good card.
  • 78xx are probably the best bang / buck cards out there.
  • 660ti and below are not a very good price to performance ratio, and therefore are not good cards at all.

MB:

• Asus I went with for my z77 board when I built my PC bout a year ago, because the other brands actually were not in stock, and the sabertooth seemed fine.
  • Gigabyte makes AWESOME BOARDS! [And my B75-D3H I use in my media PC actually has features that my sabertooth is lacking, like selectively disabling Sataports(or I have not found them, or any info on it.)]
  • MSI makes very nice boards aswell
  • AsRock does have nice boards, especially in the lower price brackets.

CPU COOLERS:

• Xigmatec, NZXT, CM, very under acknowledged imho

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

WOW, that looks awesome!  Ok, I'm going to have to bookmark that and buy one to see if I can make this work with my "The Grid" colour scheme.  If I can, this would probably work a lot better when I put radiators in the build and do the cooling loop.  If the one works well, I may as well replace all my fans.

Is there any word though how dying the fan changes the weight and distribution of the fan and what effect it has on it's stats?  I understand that it will be a vary small variance, but even a matter of grams can cause enough performance degradation to actually make the cost/benefit of the project low enough or loss enough to make simply buying a different fan more valuable.

01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01100010 01101100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010

Is there any word though how dying the fan changes the weight and distribution of the fan and what effect it has on it's stats?  I understand that it will be a vary small variance, but even a matter of grams can cause enough performance degradation to actually make the cost/benefit of the project low enough or loss enough to make simply buying a different fan more valuable.

If done properly the dye will seep into the plastic uniformly, which means no imbalance

will be caused. I would be extremely surprised if you managed to screw up your fan's

balance by dyeing them.

Noctua fans = ugly

dominator platinums = overpriced and pointless

vengeance 2000 = absolute crap...I really shouldn't have to explain why.

razer mice = 1/10

corsair psu = seasonic make better stuff

corsair ssd = lolwut

Noctua fans may be ugly, but in certain computer cases(like my own), it's not visible. The fans are quiet, and the sleeving on the cables is well done in my experience. Not saying there aren't other options out there though that rival or even beat Noctua fans.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Cases: NZXT, Silverstone

Fans: Noctua

RAM: G Skill or Patriot etc...

Headsets: ???

Keyboard: Filco

Mice: Logitech

Phones: HTC One or S4

Graphics cards: EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS

PSU: Seasonic, Enermax, XFX

SSD: Crucial 

Watercooling (closed loop): NZXT/ TT/ Corsair/ Antec

GPU:7950

MB: Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI

Which is what I would recommend 

TBH I've never understood why people would buy an audio product from a company that focuses on PC Hardware, obviously the dedicated companies (Sennheiser, Shure .etc) are going to spend more time and create a better headset!

If done properly the dye will seep into the plastic uniformly, which means no imbalance

will be caused. I would be extremely surprised if you managed to screw up your fan's

balance by dyeing them.

It's not just balance, they engineer those to specific weight, texture, and even temperature swell.  Texture is a HUGE factor in optimizing static pressure.  Considering you are actually altering the chemical structure and possibly density, I'd think you would at least change the texture of the blades.

01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01100010 01101100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010