Anyone notice all the forums generalizations ?

NOT A INSULT TO ANYONE!

I noticed there are a lot of things that people automatically think is always right or the only way to go and what not.

Cases:corsair

Fans:noctua

RAM:Domitnator platinums

Headsets:Vengeance 2000

Keyboard:ducky

Mice: Corsair or razer

Phones: HTC one

Graphics cards: ASUS or MSI

PSU: corsair

SSD: corsair

Watercooling (closed loop): corsair

GPU:7950,660ti,670

MB: asus

I am just as guilty of doing these as other people and i know its because these are good brands but i think its funny that if you have been here long enough you know what people are gonna say.

Post any brand you notice people recommend a lot.

Corsair SSD???  Disagree as I've never seen this recommendation.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Considering I have not one of those products. No.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Good products get their name on the top ;)

Good marketing gets their name on top  ;)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Corsair! :D

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

If there's any case that has been recommended more than any other, I would say its the Fractal Design Define R4

I have to disagree about some of them. I've seen many people recommend fractal and NZXT cases as well as Crucial and Samsung (probably much more than Corsair) SSDs, haven't seen many people recommending vengeance 2000 (I definitely wouldn't) and ducky is one of the many brands people recommend (Filco, Corsair, CM). Most of the times they deserve to be recommended (e.g. no one can argue that Corsair, Seasonic, NZXT, Silverstone etc. make good PSUs) so why not recommend them?

Although there are some which may be slightly misguided, such as before Logan an Linus started comparing 8350 to 3570K, everybody had made the 3570K the "obvious" choice for gaming.

Yeah generaly good choices but here are my thoughts.

Cases:corsair - I agree the 500R white is the first case out of 3-4 I realy like. I don't change that often so those 3-4 cases are the past 10 years of my life, maybe more. Im 30 so basically, since I started building my own computers.

Fans:noctua - They work well, I can't say if they are that much better. The fans coming with my case are sufficient. I think people shouldnt sacrifice look over a 5% perf increase.  (just an exemple)

RAM:Domitnator platinums - They look cool but Dominators are always too overpriced. I use lower end corsairs or other brands that are known to be reliable AND on sale.

Headsets:Vengeance 2000 - I don't know this headset. I use either the steelseries V2 (most comfortable I have ever had) or beyerdynamics/audio technica/sennheiser stuff.

Keyboard:ducky - I have a Filco that I love. I would agree that Ducky might be the best choice if you have to have backlighting though.

Mice: Corsair or razer - I have a Razer Naga and never had a problem with it. It is my first Razer preripheral. To Razer has a good start on me. I had a logitech MX518 before that lasted me a 10 years I think. I just wanted to try something new and at the time logitech didn't have a multi buttons mouse like the Naga.

Phones: HTC one - I heard about it but no one had this phone in my area unless I paid full price from the web for it. Since I think the Nexus 4 is baller for a lot cheaper, I use that.

Graphics cards: ASUS or MSI - I use MSI because they are always cheaper than ASUS and perform well. I had some unlucky streak with the Nvidia 560TI but it was at the time every brand had troubles with the overclocked versions.

PSU: corsair - I agree because I own one and it works. Silverstone was a good one too.

SSD: corsair - I don't know, my Mushking is good and my Intel previously was also.

Watercooling (closed loop): corsair - I agree I use the h100 and it works.

GPU:7950,660ti,670 - I have a 670 that I like but I would try the 7950 if I didnt have it for 6+ months since everyone seems to say the 7950 is the best.

MB: asus - I have been using MSI for a while now, cheaper most of the time and still works. The layout is perfect for me.

Good marketing gets their name on top  ;)

GS4 has better marketing than HTC one, but it's the latter that gets most recommendations here, (same with apple devices but that's a different story). I'd say it's a combination of both.

Wheew, read the list and noticed I have none of those! Yeay! I'm not a Generalist!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

i don't know why your hardware selection you recommend is that small. But some things like Corsair closed loop cooler are just the best...the same with Noctua fans. The rest is just you.. Who recommends dominator ram?! money to burn?

i haven't sen anyone being biased on dominator besides alot of people think they look awesome ..

GS4 has better marketing than HTC one, but it's the latter that gets most recommendations here, (same with apple devices but that's a different story). I'd say it's a combination of both.

Of course. No amount of marketing will sell this product

post-8262-0-33674400-1369080743.png

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Wheew, read the list and noticed I have none of those! Yeay! I'm not a Generalist!

What GPU do you have? The only one off that list I have is a GTX 670. I think that one is a bit unfair since a HD7950 is also on the list. Are we not allowed to have a decent GPU?

Of course. No amount of marketing will sell this product

Awe, this reminds me of the Cone of Silence. Epic product, no marketing is needed :lol:

What GPU do you have? The only one off that list I have is a GTX 670. I think that one is a bit unfair since a HD7950 is also on the list. Are we not allowed to have a decent GPU?

GTX 680 (FTW of course) B)

Noctua fans = yes but they work good
dominator platinums = overpriced and pointless
vengeance 2000 = absolute crap...I really shouldn't have to explain why.
razer mice = 1/10
corsair psu = I disagree they are about even for me
corsair ssd = 840 series.

the rest i agree with, minus the deathadder thats a good mouse.

Dominator Platinums  aren't pointless. They're about as pointless as getting a case that actually looks good. It's good ram.

Razer comes out with some decent mice. They aren't the best, but they do what other mice don't and they do it quite adequately. The Deathadder alone gives them bonus points.

Corsair psu's are pretty good--I prefer Antec or Seasonic.

Ssd: Duh, 840. I laugh at the Corsair ssds. I sadly have an intel though. I cry on the inside as I build for my uncle with an 840.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Dominator Platinums  aren't pointless. They're about as pointless as getting a case that actually looks good. It's good ram.

Razer comes out with some decent mice. They aren't the best, but they do what other mice don't and they do it quite adequately. The Deathadder alone gives them bonus points.

Corsair psu's are pretty good--I prefer Antec or Seasonic.

Ssd: Duh, 840. I laugh at the Corsair ssds. I sadly have an intel though. I cry on the inside as I build for my uncle with an 840.

platinums arent anything special but they cost so much thats what i meant by that and there is no justification for the price

razer does make decent mice and i do like the deathadder

PSU, really? antec? i would never trust them imo

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I had the 670 on the list.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

For me, I prefer:

Antec/NZXT/Corsair for cases

RAM IS RAM. 

Logitech for all my peripherals; they're the intel of that world.--Reliable as F

Whatever looks better/is cheaper for graphics cards. (and that really depends card for card.)

Antec/Corsair/Seasonic for PSUs

Samsung 840 right now for SSD. Not much competition but I'm sure that will change soon enough.

Asus/Msi for Motherboards for me. I won't hesitate to use Gigabyte or Asrock if it's cheaper. It's easier to match brands of parts with Asus/Msi and that's looks nice.

Hanes for underwear.

..Yeah :)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Noctua fans = not worth the price, I'm not paying $100+ for a pair of fans in New Zealand.

Same goes with RAM.

I have a corsair carbide 400r and I hate it now, cases are more up to the person buying the computer, it's all aesthetics.

Mouse; Logitech g300, no idea why you'd spend more on a mouse but I guess it's up to the people with money to burn.

Psu; corsair, yup - good price/performance across their lines

SSD; I hear a lot of people bagging on OCZ but it's done well by me.

GPU; 7950; best price/performance at the moment.

As you can see I love saving cash and getting the most out of my hardware so price vs performance is a big factor in what I recommend.

#!

platinums arent anything special but they cost so much thats what i meant by that and there is no justification for the price

razer does make decent mice and i do like the deathadder

PSU, really? antec? i would never trust them imo

What makes you distrust Antec? http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/carl/are-antec-psus-the-most-reliable-on-the-planet/

then explain dominator platinums.

over priced i even asked people why they thought they were so great and the only answer they could come up with was looks.

that's the same way with designer sunglasses 

that's the same way with designer sunglasses 

Only sunglasses I need:

7b5cf3edce381acb6eca064350469a14.jpeg

NOT A INSULT TO ANYONE!

I noticed there are a lot of things that people automatically think is always right or the only way to go and what not.

Cases:corsair

Fans:noctua

RAM:Domitnator platinums

Headsets:Vengeance 2000

Keyboard:ducky

Mice: Corsair or razer

Phones: HTC one

Graphics cards: ASUS or MSI

PSU: corsair

SSD: corsair

Watercooling (closed loop): corsair

GPU:7950,660ti,670

MB: asus

I am just as guilty of doing these as other people and i know its because these are good brands but i think its funny that if you have been here long enough you know what people are gonna say.

Post any brand you notice people recommend a lot.

I have been very annoyed with this too. Especially with Ducky keyboards which aren't that awesome (build quality) and Corsair cases (mostly because I HATE black brushed/ anodized aluminium and want other cases with superior finishes (BitFenix SoftTouch anyone) to succeed)

Oh and Razer mice... Sure the Deathadder sensor is magic. But their entire product line is still a big fail in my eyes, my brother has broken 4 of them in 2 years and is still buying them. Mindless! They have some weird voodoo magic mind scrubbing marketing going on.

I feel Noctua fans are kind of deserved, if anything. But I wish some of the awesome alternatives that often get forgotten could get some more attention. Like Gelid and Be Quiet!

MY BIG pet peeve: Sennheiser!!!

People are acting as if Sennheiser is the only quality headphone maker out there, and are consistently disregarding that they have started going downhill with new product lines ever since they realised gamers were beginning to buy their stuff. This is the only category where I would say with 100% certainty that there is a flat-out better product available at almost every price point: AKG.

/rant over

EDIT:  I just noticed you listed Corsair for SSDs. The by far most recommended SSDs on this forum has to be Samsung. And for once, I'm going to say Samsungs great reputation in this segment is deserved.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I feel Noctua fans are kind of deserved, if anything. But I wish some of the awesome alternatives that often get forgotten could get some more attention. Like Gelid and Be Quiet!

Noiseblockers are also pretty awesome, especially their new eLoop series from

what I've heard and read. And for running radiators, Gentle Typhoons are still

excellent despite having been on the market for quite a while.

People are acting as if Sennheiser is the only quality headphone maker out there, and are consistently disregarding that they have started going downhill with new product lines ever since they realised gamers were beginning to buy their stuff. This is the only category where I would say with 100% certainty that there is a flat-out better product available at almost every price point: AKG.

I had a pair of AKG headphones for a few years; used them for playing on an electric

piano. They were bloody awesome! Can't really comment on Sennheiser from personal

experience, I've just gotten the impression that regardless if they are any good or

not you pay a lot extra just for the name (see also other audio manufactures, some

of them having taken this to completely laughable levels :lol: ).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic