July 11th 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Once again I'm relying on the community to save me from watching my own show... If you're watching the show and wouldn't mind filling in the timestamps in the below Google Doc... You're AMAZING!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BVB46NW2hrHjTYGLUmLMxrfy-01b3-qmneQOpDVgREw/edit?usp=sharing

News Items Windows 9 revamped activation DRM

Source 1: linustechtips.com

Source 2: www.techpowerup.com

- Completely doing away with CD keys

- having a Microsoft Store account is mandatory(not the same as a microsoft account)

- install images are served through the Microsoft Store

- your machine's details (usually just motherboard-related details) are logged with Microsoft, and the software stays activated on your machine.

- When you install your OS on another machine, you untie your current machine from your licence online, and install your software on the new machine.

- The concept can be suitably adapted for 3-user and 5-user family licenses.

- the so called Windows 9 - could bring a highly functional Start Menu back.

- Microsoft could begin talking Windows 9 this fall, with early public and semi-public, pre-retail versions of the OS being circulated.

Kinect for Windows

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: BloodWithIce

Source 2: microsoftstore.com

Source 3: pcgamer.com

- Release July 15th

- $199 RRP.

- Made to compete with Leap Motion, which has much more support and a lower RRP.

- The Kinect v2 does not ship with any software. It is intended for use with the Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0 (licensed separately) and will operate only with applications developed for Kinect for Windows v2.

- Price of the 2.0 SDK is unknown.

- Full 1080p.

ADblock Plus being sued by German Companies

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: neowin.net

- Adblock Plus makers have been slapped with lawsuits by multiple marketing companies in Germany for affecting revenue by blocking ads.

- The companies believe that the business model of Adblock Plus is illegal.

- It was recently reported that Google has been paying money in order to allow its ads to pass through Adblock Plus.

Potato Salad

Source 1: www.kickstarter.com

Source 2: huffingtonpost.com

- Currently at $46,991…. WAS $70,000~

- $35 - I will make 4x as much Potato Salad. I know $40 isn't 4x $10, but you guys have earned it.

- $75 - Pizza Party!

- $100 - I will try two different Potato Salad recipes.

- $250 - Better mayonnaise (from the natural foods section)

- $300 - Call a chef to get a better recipe

- $350 - Make way more potato salad and probably do a third recipe.

- $1000: I'll do a live stream of the potato salad making

- $1200: I'll pay someone to film a thank-you video for all of my backers!

- $3000: My kitchen is too small! I will rent out a party hall and invite the whole internet to the potato salad party (only $10 and above will be allowed in the kitchen)! The internet loves potato salad! Let's show them that potato salad loves the internet!!

- READ DONATION REWARDS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wendellharness/green-bean-casserole?ref=discovery

Samsung factory robbed

Source 1: 9to5google.com

- 20 men armed with submachine guns raided a factory in the Brazilian city of Campinas.

- Items looted included smartphones, tablets and notebooks, although no specific models were identified.

- While some employees were held hostage during the heist, the report claims that the majority of others continued working.

- We are very concerned about this incident,” said Samsung in a statement. “Fortunately, nobody was hurt. We are fully cooperating with the ongoing police investigation, and we will do our best to avoid it happening again.”

- Brazilian authorities believe that it very well could be an inside job.

Avast recovers data from wiped phones

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: AdamIsaacLang

Source 2: venturebeat.com

- Avast bought phones on ebay and recovered data from them.

- Data was recovered due to it not being wiped properly (not overwritten).

- They found 40,000 photos, 750 emails, 250 names and addresses and one loan application.

- This was a stunt by Avast to boost sales of its “secure wipe” antivirus program for $30 a year.

- You can get free apps that do the same thing.

T-Mobile knowingly added bonus charges to bills

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ryou-kun

Source 2: theverge.com

- The FTC just filed a suit against T-Mobile alleging that it has been engaging in the practice of "cramming" its customers' bills with false charges.

- T-Mobile commonly adds charges for premium SMS services such as "flirting tips, horoscope information or celebrity gossip" that typically cost $9.99 per month.

- FTC says that the services in question had refund request rates of up to 40 percent in a single month.

- T-Mobile is allegedly collecting as much as 40 percent of the revenue generated from these services.

- T-Mobile CEO John Legere called the FTC’s claims "unfounded and without merit." and that "we believe that customers should only pay for what they want and what they sign up for."

Nano Pixel displays 150x Resolution and flexible

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: dlf

Source 2: extremetech.com

- Pointless for TV,  but great for hmds and wearables

- 300-by-300 nanometers pixels.

- 198000×120000 display.

- There are two transparent thin-film electrode layers of ITO (indium tin oxide), with a very thin layer of GST (germanium-antimony-tellurium) sandwiched in between.

- GST can become opaque or transparent when a voltage (or laser beam) is applied and can switch back when the “jolt” is applied again.

- Beyond filing for a patent in case of eventual commercialization, there’s no word on what the researchers intend to do next with the technology.

Microsoft to pull windows 7 support in 6 months

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw

Source 2: businessinsider.com

- Microsoft will end free mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015.

- Microsoft will provide security patches even after it ends mainstream support, through 2020.

- Equal to 5.5 years of mainstream support.

- How long Window’s OSs are supported: Link (Pic - Credit to buisnessinsider)

GTX Titan II - It’s exactly what you think it will be

Source 1: www.eteknix.com

- More power, more price, will be released in the future.

- GK210

- 28NM

- Over 4000 Cuda Cores

- 512bit memory bus

- Expected to launch in first half of 2015

- $999

LG Wearable is a device that tracks children and lets their parents listen in

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw

Source 2: engadget.com

- Children can press its One Step Direct Call button to contact a pre-configured number.

- If the child doesn't pick up the incoming call from the parents number within 10 seconds, the device puts the call through and lets them listen to what's going on through the built-in microphone

hot or not? - InWins S-Frame

Source 1: linustechtips.com

- Made through one piece of aluminium

- two slices of tempered glass and carbon fibre areas for cable routing

- Only 500 made

Microsoft Challenges Gamers 60FPS 1080p

Source 1: forbes.com

- (no notes)

Rapid Fire Police Dogs sniff hdd’s and memory cards

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/178064-us-police-dog-trained-to-sniff-out-hidden-hdds-and-memory-cards/

Desktop sales no longer in decline according to gartner

http://www.zdnet.com/pc-shipments-flat-lined-after-two-years-of-decline-gartner-says-7000031420/

Car thief to die in tesla model S collision

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179343-car-thief-first-person-to-die-in-a-tesla-model-s-collision/

Virtual Reality Cave

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/176282-move-aside-oculus-the-fraunhofer-virtual-reality-cave-is-here/?view=getnewpost&fromsearch=1

VW 313MPG

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/177551-vws-space-age-xl1-achieves-incredible-313mpg/

Watch_Dogs mod makes Aiden a nude woman

Source 1: linustechtips.com Snickerzz

Oculus Launches Oculus Connect and Acquires Raknet Plus

linustechtips.com

-

Verizon claims Netflix is the one causing internet congestion

linustechtips.com

THE TEXT, IT BURNS MY EYES-all night theme users

THanks for fixing it :D

Diamond 5 in League :)

THE TEXT, IT BURNS MY EYES-all night theme users

THanks for fixing it :D

what burns is the poor layout

But whatever who reads it anyway?

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Guys I honestly can't believe this ....

I missed The WAN Show when I actually wanted to see it.  I forgot all about it.  :S

I guess this is what happens when you are doing other things that are detrimental to your life and also feeling sick overnight. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Guys I honestly can't believe this ....

I missed The WAN Show when I actually wanted to see it.  I forgot all about it.  :S

I guess this is what happens when you are doing other things that are detrimental to your life and also feeling sick overnight.

This happened to me too :( Except the feeling sick part.

Wish I could have seen the show, last night. Doing things is hard.

time for lunch! Love the wanshow :P

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

@LinusTech about the samsung phones theift, what if sumsung were behind this because i heared their sales numbers are droping, if they made a large number of phones already and they figured it will be hard to sell them and the phones/the factory are insured, then aranging some 1 to steel them would be the fastest way to get the money back.

Great episode, thought the jokes were funny, some interesting stories and insights....amazing what you guys can make an interesting show about even though it's a "slow" news time for technology.

Hopefully you trip to San Francisco (at 1:02:50) goes well :-).

@Linus @Slick - just for reference, how long in advance do technology companies share info with the press/reviewers before a release? In a purely hypothetical scenario of course...is it a week, a month...I doubt they'd be able to embargo something for a month...interested parties want to know...purely for theoretical and educational purposes of course.

You take away my coin magnet, you might as well cut off my balls.

-Linus Sebastian, 2014

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post