[Rumour] Windows 9 revamped activation system (DRM)

qwertywarrior

http://www.techpowerup.com/202830/microsoft-to-revamp-activation-system-with-windows-9.html

microsoft have done soo many stupid things

they are on a streak

now they have made an intrusive DRM  (if the rumors are true which im pretty sure it is)

maybe thats the push Linux needs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft is expected to introduce a radical new software activation system with its next major release of Windows, in a bid to stem piracy. According to BetaNews, citing a Russian source with a reasonably good track-record in leaking stuff out of Redmond, the company is planning to do away with software keys, 16-character alphanumeric passwords unique to each copy of the software, which let you prove the validity of your purchase, and unlock the software. The next Windows will use a system in which having a Microsoft Store account - which isn't necessarily the same as a Microsoft Account - is mandatory, and acquiring machine-specific images of the Windows installation disc from the store.

The way we understand it, it works like this. After paying for your license while logged into the Microsoft Store, you're made to download a generic install disc image. After its installation, your machine's details (usually just motherboard-related details) are logged with Microsoft, and the software stays activated on your machine. When you need to install your OS on another machine, you untie your current machine from your licence online, and install your software on the new machine. The software will stop working on the older machine, ensuring that only one single-user license is running on a machine at a given time. The concept can be suitably adapted for 3-user and 5-user family licenses.

The same source also goes on to claim that Microsoft's removal of a Start Menu continues to be unpopular, and that its next Windows release - the so called Windows 9 - could bring a highly functional Start Menu back. Microsoft could launch a gargantuan marketing campaign to make sure people are motivated to upgrade from older Windows versions, because they get their Start Menu back. Microsoft could begin talking Windows 9 this fall, with early public and semi-public, pre-retail versions of the OS being circulated.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Oh no... this may keep me away from Windows 9.  Hopefully it doesn't happen or they make it easy and not require a microsoft account. Forcing me to activate windows with a microsoft account or something is worse than the start screen.  I never want to rely on an account for my operating system validation.  I might buy a license for Windows 7 if Windows 9 is a complete crap. 

Windows 7 works just fine for me! :P

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Meh, this is only a problem for people who pirate OS's anyway

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I actually kinda like this. Makes it easy for me. Though the entire tying it to the mobo seems confusing? What exactly do you have to do to get the motherboard tied to the software so that it'll activate? Do you need to install Windows first, and then it gets the details for your mobo and OK's it with your account before activating?

But surely this won't stop actual pirates... Sure, it will stop people reusing their keys on multiple PCs (I have one key that has been used 4 times and is still valid), but pirates will do the same as they always have and modify the licensing binaries to trick it into being licensed. Also, what about enterprise users? Presumably they will still be able to use license key activation, otherwise I don't see many businesses migrating to windows store accounts which are locked to the hardware that they're installed on. I guess we'll see what happens when MS actually confirms or denies this later this year, but I see it as having limited advantages.

HTTP/2 203

Let us all switch to linux  :D

btw people will be able to take the generic ISO and crack it, I guarantee it

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I highly doubt it would affect people apart from the initial install, and that means no more finding the disk whenever you want to install it.

Please don't be like GFWL though!  :(

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

Well looks like I won't be upgrading to Windows 9 then.

I am against machine specific discs and mandatory online accounts. It just makes reinstalling and managing multiple computers far more complicated.

Maybe I'll get it if someone manages to crack it so that I don't have to deal with Microsoft's bullshit.

In before "derp you just want to pirate it!".

I got a DreamSpark Premium account...

Meh, I already have my start menu back on W8.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Did microsoft not learn anything from the xbone drm policy? I guess they wish to sink the company.

I'm thinking UBI and Microsoft are having a bet to see how far they can push customers at this point 

This is the problem, these things get bought anyway, it is a captured market as if you want to use windows, you have to buy windows.

If microsoft kill of windows 7 and 8, then there is no option but to buy 9 and do as they say. This means they can basically do whatever they want

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So I won't be able to get a working installation of Windows without logging into some account? That doesn't sound like a massive privacy cornern at all. Nope.

Also they have to have some kind of volume licensing or Windows 9 will be DOA for the enterprise market.

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

Motherboard bios can be "Fixed" to go around this activation scheme. It's been done for a while now. 

And if my motherboard needs an ethernet driver to connect to the internet but you have to install Windows in order to install the driver, will Windows still be able to install? That's my only concern with this idea especially if it's a new build in a 1 computer only home.

Looks like im staying with windows 8 lol I havn't bought an os since like never lol This crap makes me want linux to get big.

I still think it will get cracked tho everything can if someone spends enough time and effort.

i dont see a problem with the 16 digit keys, you cant stop the pirates, they will break your activation just like they always have.

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Aaaand in order to buy Windows 9 through the Microsoft Store account you'll need a credit card... I guess I'm sticking with Windows 7 (and 8) until Microsoft cuts the support for them (though I can see the support for them ending soon after Windows 9's launch, seeing from what stupid things Microsoft has done recently).

I really hope software devs to push more towards Linux. It seems Microsoft isn't getting any smarter than this, and seemingly will continue doing these things that only make things worse for regular consumers, and won't do jack sh*t for pirates.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Of all the hassle they could think of getting their customers into, why THIS!? -_-

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

I don't get it... Windows already works this way, just instead of having a key link to your system specs, it is an account, where you can manage things, so now you don't have to do phone activations. So how is it worst?

I am not saying it is perfect, but if it allow you to remove your old PC, with the new one you got, online, from a mouse click, without having to call Microsoft phone activation, and for reason fail because you re-installed too many times to a mix of hardware bad luck (faulty drive), and switch of system, and then forced to buy a new license, it could be potentially better.

As for OEM licenses (like actual OEMs (Dell, HP, etc), not System Builders (what most of us do)), and Enterprise, I see nothing that will change from the current system.

A little bit of piracy allows the software to spread. I know people who actually tried out pirated windows 8 before considering buying it. If they are going to stop piracy, they will be affected in the long term

I don't know if I like it, but bare with me trought this, guys: Does this mean that with one Windows 9 license I can go trough as many hardware refreshes as I want (e.g. Motherboard or CPU change)? of course as long as I deactivate my current version before making said upgrade; Thatt would be pretty nice, not having to repurchase Windows for most hardware refreshes I might make. Still I could be totally wrong...  :P

From my understanding, this what it would allow you to do. So I don't get why people are complaining.

Motherboard bios can be "Fixed" to go around this activation scheme. It's been done for a while now. 

And if my motherboard needs an ethernet driver to connect to the internet but you have to install Windows in order to install the driver, will Windows still be able to install? That's my only concern with this idea especially if it's a new build in a 1 computer only home.

If I understand it correctly, this is not the same as the current way of authenticating your Windows install using your motherboard.

This method will look up some unique info in the motherboard and use that to validate that it is installed on the correct computer. The validation process using the motherboard that for example Windows 7 uses works by having the OS look in the BIOS after a valid CD key/cert.

The old one just looks at your motherboard and says "yes, this is a computer from brand X and it is therefore a legit volume key".

This new method works by going "okay person X is only allowed to install Windows on # number of computers. Let's gather unique info about each machine this person has Windows installed on using some unique info in the BIOS. Alright we found less than # number of unique machines so we won't disable his Windows key".

It might sound the same, but it's not.

There will probably be a trial period as well, so you will have time to go get your network drivers before you need to activate Windows.

Another big issue with this is that your Windows key might get deactivated if you update your BIOS, even if you got a legit CD key.

I don't get it... Windows already works this way, just instead of having a key link to your system specs, it is an account, where you can manage things, so now you don't have to do phone activations. So how is it worst?

Machine specific disks and mandatory Microsoft accounts. That's how this is worse.

Love it. I lost my Windows 8 copy, but if this system was in place then I'd still have it now. Not to mention my MS office 2013.