The arcane symbols on the back of your gadgets could be going away

Dietrichw

Source

iphone4slogo2.jpg

The odd, government-mandated hieroglyphs etched on to the back of the iPhone are as memorable as "Designed by Apple in California," but some could soon be relics: a new bill introduced in the Senate would allow device makers to digitally stamp phones, computers, and other gadgets, rather than physically etching symbols on to them

Although it's unlikely you'd find many people on the street who could decode them, the symbols on gadgets provide information on trade regulations and proper disposal. The E-Label Act, a bipartisan bill introduced in the Senate on Thursday, would give manufacturers more leeway in how they comply with US regulations. Not all the stamps you regularly see are required by the States — the "CE" mark is for products sold in Europe — but marks like the FCC ID numbers required for gadgets built or sold in the US could be viewed on-screen instead of the exterior.

yes pls and send this to Europe so we can get rid of the CE mark too

I loved that the Verizon 4 didn't have them... Not sure why, but it was much cleaner with just 'iPhone' branding

In other words...

MY BODY IS READY

I thought that they did away with this along time ago....

My Droid X, X2, and Moto X do not have any markings, even under the back cover of the Droid X/X2. But my Razr does have them on the back...

My Lumia 822 and S4 don't have them either.

EDIT: Nvm, the 822 has them under the battery.

they have long been scratched off on my htc one 

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

I loved that the Verizon 4 didn't have them... Not sure why, but it was much cleaner with just 'iPhone' branding

In other words...

MY BODY IS READY

CDMAiPhone4-3728.jpg

Such a cleaner look, I agree. This is good. 

To be honest it would be nice to not even have the logo. I would prefer to just have a plain phone with no logo's or branding. Put all that shit underneath the case. It would be incentive to apple to make their phone open up.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

So the only phone that will be affected by this is the iPhone? Because all the other phone we have at work got these ugly thing inside the phone. They can't hide this inside since you can't open the phone.

How did the verizon iphone get away without having them?

How did the verizon iphone get away without having them?

Regulations somehow allowed it... Not sure why exactly, though.

CDMAiPhone4-3728.jpg

Such a cleaner look, I agree. This is good. 

It would be awesome if they could even get it down to just 'Designed by Apple in California', but no more than that-

I feel like with only the logo and iPhone branding, it would look empty, and kind of like a knockoff...