LG Unveils New; Not Only Flexible, but Also Rollable and Transparent OLED Screen Technology

bcredeur97

Guys, YOU CAN NOW ROLL UP A SCREEN!

The pixel density isnt too great yet, with a size of 18 inches and only 1200 x 810 (not sure what aspect ratio that is)

LG says by 2017 60 inch Ultra-HD (4K) versions should be possible to make.

The screen is almost transparent (30% transmittance) LG says by 2017 40% transmittance should be possible

post-15957-0-12202300-1404968131.jpg

Original article: source is 9to5google:

http://9to5google.com/2014/07/09/lg-reveals-18-inch-flexible-rollable-and-transparent-oled-panels-aims-for-60-inches-by-2017/

My thoughts: The resolution is terrible and the uses for this may not be that much just yet, but just wait until this matures, we could have super thin phones that simply flex when you drop them, or smart wearables that hug close to your skin and are so lightweight that you barely notice them. Even TV's or Monitors that can simply be rolled up and brought to a friends house for some local gameplay :) Tablets suddenly will also be easier to carry if we can roll them up and put them in our pockets (of course providing that the hardware can flex along with the screen) The transparent versions can make good illusions, such as making the screen appear on a wall suddenly (all you would see before is a wall, basically an invisible screen :D)

post-15957-0-12202300-1404968131.jpg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I thought hard for a moment, and then for a moment more yet I cannot fathom a use I'd have for this shit. <_<

I thought hard for a moment, and then for a moment more yet I cannot fathom a use for this shit. <_<

Watches, I'd guess. ebooks? Curved screens (monitors, TV's) . . .

I thought hard for a moment, and then for a moment more yet I cannot fathom a use I'd have for this shit. <_<

Could be good for travelling and such. Being able to carry a 1080p screen in your bag if you're camping or something could be useful. 

Could be good for travelling and such. Being able to carry a 1080p screen in your bag if you're camping or something could be useful. 

Actually that's a use right there, that would be cool.

Could also be used as equipment for deployed soldiers etc for GPS/mapping.

GG.

Well this is definitely an improvement for OLED's but it's not a huge step forward.

The title isn't giving any of the "wow!!" factor >_>

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Well this is definitely an improvement for OLED's but it's not a huge step forward.

The title isn't giving any of the "wow!!" factor >_>

fixed. (or at least i tried too lol)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don't get how some of you are dissing this product. It's a flexible screen! Sure the resolution may not be the best, but this is iteration #1 of this technology, and it's only going to get better from here.

I say bring on the flexible displays. I'd love to roll up 20" display and stuff it in my backpack for easy transportation. 

COMIC SANS

Folding screen? Yes please!

Transparent screen? Emmmm... why would I want that?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Folding screen? Yes please!

Transparent screen? Emmmm... why would I want that?

It would be cool to ride in a bus or train with transparent screens. Maybe even cars if it becomes driver-less at some point. I guess for a window it would be cool too lolol.

Also, some sort of Google glass type of thing like this just so you can check the power level of other people around you. You know, the usual. :P

VegetaPinkScouterScanningEp4-1-.png

Newspapers from Deus Ex are coming...

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

i can see this more used in HUD's like google glass etc, i can see this being used in car's so they dont have a traditional dash its just overlayed on the lower quarter of the front window.

also can see it being used more in military for things like active camo etc

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Newspapers from Deus Ex are coming...

:o

yes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The main usage for transparent screens I can think of would be smart watches.

Put the smart watch part on top of a regular watch. If the smart watch runs out of battery it turns into a regular watch which has several years of battery. It would also bypass the issue of smart watches not having always on displays.

Other uses would be things like smart windows not just for homes but also in cars. You don't even need the entire window to be a "smart window". Just make like 1/4 or 1/5 of the car window a transparent screen so that you can display the GPS on it or something along those lines.

Augmented reality glasses is another area where transparent screens would be nice. Instead of for example strapping a camera to an Oculus and then manipulate the whole video feed from the camera, you would just have to display the augmented stuff.