Just learning watercooling but...

This thought occurred to me, since so many cases have the rubber grommets on the back to allow for watercooling outside the case, has anyone thought to put the reservoirs in a small fridge or freezer and feed the long lines into the back of the CPU?  If so are there photos because I'd love to see that mod.  And would having the reservoirs in a fridge/freezer allow for higher overclocks/better cooling?   With a line that long I would think the pump would have to be larger than the standard, but with the reservoir outside the case there'd be more room for the pump where the res would normally go.  

Just idle thoughts I'd be curious if it's been done before.  Thanks in advance. 

its possible, but sometimes the water is so cold condensation starts, and one drop of water is all it takes to kill amotherboard

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

People do it.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

This thought occurred to me, since so many cases have the rubber grommets on the back to allow for watercooling outside the case, has anyone thought to put the reservoirs in a small fridge or freezer and feed the long lines into the back of the CPU?  If so are there photos because I'd love to see that mod.  And would having the reservoirs in a fridge/freezer allow for higher overclocks/better cooling?   With a line that long I would think the pump would have to be larger than the standard, but with the reservoir outside the case there'd be more room for the pump where the res would normally go.  

Just idle thoughts I'd be curious if it's been done before.  Thanks in advance. 

I've seen some pictures and video of guys running their loops several hundred feet underground where it is near freezing to cool their rigs. So yes it is possible, same concept as what you said. The example is Just more costly lol

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Putting resevoirs in a cold place will not make any difference. I think you mean put the radiators in the fridge, which is what cools the liquid.

a) the fridge will use a ton of power if it has to constantly cool off the heat from your PC.

b ) the fridge is loud, so it would have to be in a different room to be silent.

c) the pump will not have enough head pressure for such long tubing.

If you seriously want the best overclocking experience, just go with phase-change cooling. It is the same as a fridge, except made for PC.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've seen some pictures and video of guys running their loops several hundred feet underground where it is near freezing to cool their rigs. So yes it is possible, same concept as what you said. The example is Just more costly lol

hehe its awesome saw this the other day

http://www.overclock.net/t/671177/12-feet-under-1000-square-feet-of-geothermal-pc-cooling

I'm in the desert, Las Vegas, condensation is less a problem here, plus if you put a fan directed at the tube lines it would evaporate faster. And yes, I do think it would require a more powerful pump. Put the pump inside the little fridge/freezer, put the case atop the fridge/freezer adjacent to the desk, as a lot of people do because they have their energy drinks in a small fridge next to their workstation as it is anyway. If the pump is too loud it could be contained inside the fridge as well. I'm saying one would have to drill holes into the fridge to let the loops out and contain the pump noise. When the rig isn't on, the fridge would also be shut off so as not to make the loop too cold, but when the rig is running it would cool the already heated liquid. I'm thinking oversized pump, oversized res. *grin* I'd love to see pics of this, it's not anything I personally would ever do. I'd just like to see it done. Like driving a Bugatti even if I could afford it, I still wouldn't do it because the level of impracticality is high, but I'll still watch it race around a track.

Oh, and silence isn't even a consideration for this, just like fuel efficiency isn't a consideration for the Bugatti.