Is it time to upgrade my CPU?

Lately I have been slowly realizes that I may have to upgrade my cpu. I currently have a AMD Phenom ii 965 quad core cpu. I have this paired with a Geforce Gtx 760 and I was wondering if the proccesor was limiting the actual performance of the system. If so what cpu should I upgrade too?

i dont thing that cpu is limiting the 760... 

Corsair C70|i7 3930K|Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz|Asrock x79 Extreme6|Samsung SSD 256GB|WD Green 3TB|Corsair H100i|Corsair TX750m |GTX 780 Palit Super JetStream (review here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54814-palit-gtx780-superjetstream-review/ )  -_-|

STILL LEARNING ENGLISH  :P  :P  :P

I would say yes since you have a decent motherboard you could get a 8320 or 8350.

I would say yes since you have a decent motherboard you could get a 8320 or 8350.

If u have the money, definetly go for what this dude said !

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

I don't think there is a bottleneck there, if you really feel the need to upgrade get an FX 6300 or 8320.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If u have the money, definetly go for what this dude said !

This won't make the difference you would hope for for the price.

If you play MMOs but want better performance grab a 1090T or 1100T.

If you are encoding and playing more of the AAA titles then an 8320.

This won't make the difference you would hope for for the price.

It will in the future ;)

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

It will in the future ;)

By the time most programmers get on the level to necessitate it, the 4790k will be at the price the 8350 is now.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

By the time most programmers get on the level to necessitate it, the 4790k will be at the price the 8350 is now.

But then he need to buy a new mobo.

Yes, and PCIe 4 and DDR4 will have been implemented, making it worth it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

He will have to buy a new motherboard anyways if he moves up to the 8320.  It shows on his signature that he has an "LE" version M5A97, and those can barely handle a 8320 at stock, overclocking would be out of the question, and those CPUs aren't too great without overclocking.

@JonathanH  I don't think that you are experiencing a bottleneck at all, in my eyes, its a fairly balanced system.  Unless you are very unhappy with your performance, I see no reason to upgrade.  Try using this Malware Removal Guide to see if there is anything slowing down your system.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

He will have to buy a new motherboard anyways if he moves up to the 8320.  It shows on his signature that he has an "LE" version M5A97, and those can barely handle a 8320 at stock, overclocking would be out of the question, and those CPUs aren't too great without overclocking.

@JonathanH  I don't think that you are experiencing a bottleneck at all, in my eyes, its a fairly balanced system.  Unless you are very unhappy with your performance, I see no reason to upgrade.  Try using this Malware Removal Guide to see if there is anything slowing down your system.

So do you guys think I should wait for next generation CPU's to come out? Like next gen intel cpu and buy a new mobo? Cause I'm not too happy with my current CPU (Power Consumption to performance ratio)

So do you guys think I should wait for next generation CPU's to come out? Like next gen intel cpu and buy a new mobo? Cause I'm not too happy with my current CPU (Power Consumption to performance ratio)

If power consumption to performance ratio is your biggest concern, then you need to switch to Intel.

I would recommend that you wait until Skylake, this may be 2 years though.  Devil's Canyon just came out, which is basically Haswell with more consistent overclocking. The next to come out will be Broadwell later in 2014, which should be a little bit better performance over Haswell and DC.  Skylake, which is said to be available in 2016 is when a significant jump in performance is supposed to happen.  Skylake should come with architectural improvements over Haswell, DC, Broadwell, as well as the inclusion of DDR4 Memory, so it is more of an evolutionary jump instead of a small improvement.  That is a long time to wait for something that is unproven, but if you want to get the most value, wait it out.  It is a bit of a stretch to hope that your PC will last for another two years, so maybe making the switch to Broadwell(Late 2014) is more realistic.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If power consumption to performance ratio is your biggest concern, then you need to switch to Intel.

I would recommend that you wait until Skylake, this may be 2 years though.  Devil's Canyon just came out, which is basically Haswell with more consistent overclocking. The next to come out will be Broadwell later in 2014, which should be a little bit better performance over Haswell and DC.  Skylake, which is said to be available in 2016 is when a significant jump in performance is supposed to happen.  Skylake should come with architectural improvements over Haswell, DC, Broadwell, as well as the inclusion of DDR4 Memory, so it is more of an evolutionary jump instead of a small improvement.  That is a long time to wait for something that is unproven, but if you want to get the most value, wait it out.  It is a bit of a stretch to hope that your PC will last for another two years, so maybe making the switch to Broadwell(Late 2014) is more realistic.

Waiting until Broadwell would be enough. If he can deal with not having PCIe 4.0 (graphics cards barely get into 3.0 as it is, and Broadwell is the start of DDR4, which is why Apple is waiting on it to make the new MBP line) then the die shrink from Haswell to Broadwell will give him the power consumption gains he wants, although the cost of replacing the CPU will certainly outpace the energy savings for a good 4 years without a LOT of use.

Yes, and PCIe 4 and DDR4 will have been implemented, making it worth it.

yeahh, didnt think about hah. you're right :P