Mercedes' semi-autonomous truck lets its driver relax on the highway

Dietrichw

Maybe some other technology will be out where you can live to be much older. :)

I wouldn't use it. Living for a century or more doesn't appeal to me. I think I'd have seen enough by then.

They are bad because Google is planning to eliminate manual control entirely.

Yeah, no. In robotics there is always some form of manual intervention, and everyone (and I mean everyone) who isn't crazy agrees that it is necessary.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

The real question here is, what kind of trucker would drive a truck that ugly?

I wouldn't use it. Living for a century or more doesn't appeal to me. I think I'd have seen enough by then.

I think it would depend on whether or not i was like a young person or an old persona and how exciting my life is, but ya i think i would have to agree with you.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

before you know it stuff like this will allow us to set the cruise control to 150 (mph) one day :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

We already have auto pilot and flying a plane is far more risky and complicated than driving a car. Can't see why people would object to this.

Slightly different and more complicated actually, since a plane flying a couple meters to the right or left (in mid-air) generally means nothing, but in a road could mean getting off it or crashing into something.

But still, I'm excited about this. We're not there yet but Google is pushing the self-driving vehicles in the public sector, seeing them used for work just adds to the momentum.

I'm all for self-driving cars, I know many people enjoy driving and I hope they will have the option to continue doing it, but I personally find it boring and stressful :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

We already have auto pilot and flying a plane is far more risky and complicated than driving a car. Can't see why people would object to this.

What I don't understand is why trains aren't autonomous, so many accidents with trains happen because someone messes up. Computers don't mess up.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The military already has self driving vehicles. Have for a while now. This isn't really new news.

What don't you like about it? If you set parameters that make sense then nothing will go wrong. Can't say that about the millions of idiots on the road. (Few are actually decent)

There in lies the problem. A self driving car can only do so much when encountering new problems caused by other drivers.

The "other idiots" are always the ones that are going to cause you problems.

yes but it isn't even the reliability on this one. It takes away driving which is fun, it takes away the experience from parents of getting to teach their children to drive, and i believe teenagers would be much less excited about getting to drive including me.

Most people don't want to drive, they do it because it's the only, or easiest way to get from point A to point B.

Yes, as a teen you'll see this differently. As you get older that will start to change.

What I don't understand is why trains aren't autonomous, so many accidents with trains happen because someone messes up. Computers don't mess up.

Some are. A lot of train accidents aren't caused by human err at all, but rather the fact that a train simply cannot stop in time to avoid hitting something.

Even if it were autonomous, if it goes around a corner and there's something on the tracks 100m ahead, it's going to hit it regardless of who's in control.

Trains don't really require much these days. But if it hits something, you're going to have to have a person there to get out and check what it was. You could have tons of cameras, yes, but at the end of the day a human is still better.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Some are. A lot of train accidents aren't caused by human err at all, but rather the fact that a train simply cannot stop in time to avoid hitting something.

Even if it were autonomous, if it goes around a corner and there's something on the tracks 100m ahead, it's going to hit it regardless of who's in control.

Trains don't really require much these days. But if it hits something, you're going to have to have a person there to get out and check what it was. You could have tons of cameras, yes, but at the end of the day a human is still better.

I remember atleast 3 current accidents that were caused by humans.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Seriously this would be awesome have some sort of satellite Internet setup a little 19" screen plug a decent laptop in and 360 controller and play the whole trip :)

Raining_Pixel, on 06 Jul 2014 - 6:49 PM, said:

How do you think Google Maps has street view? It's a self driving car. Never heard of one wrecking but I have heard of humans wrecking.

ITS A SELF DRIVING CAR THAT GETS THAT?!!?? WHY HAVE I NEVER KOWN ABOUT THIS!?!? THATS AMAZING!!!!!!!!

/cereal

Im all for this. The less stuff that rely on humans the better.