Mercedes' semi-autonomous truck lets its driver relax on the highway

Dietrichw

Source

Mercedes' info on it 

Future-Truck-2025-2.jpg

If you've ever driven a highway on a major trip, you know how monotonous it can get -- and it only gets worse for big rig operators, who may spend every day on those uneventful roads. Mercedes-Benz may eventually let those long-haul drivers make better use of their time, though. It just recently demonstrated Future Truck 2025, a semi-autonomous concept vehicle that takes the reins on the highway. A combination of radar and stereo cameras keep the machine on the right course once it's up to speed, freeing the driver to check up on the family or get work done. It can optionally talk to other vehicles to anticipate upcoming construction or traffic jams, and it's smart enough to get out of the way if an ambulance comes speeding by.

As the name implies, Mercedes doesn't see its hardware entering production for roughly a decade. However, that's definitely a realistic goal; some of the underlying technology is already in the 2014 S-Class sedan. 

Should not be aloud! I don't trust any of this stuff. Also they get payed to drive the truck so they should have to drive the truck.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

Should not be aloud! I don't trust any of this stuff. Also they get payed to drive the truck so they should have to drive the truck.

They aren't paid to drive the truck they are paid to get the trailer from point A to point B on time and undamaged. 

They aren't paid to drive the truck they are paid to get the trailer from point A to point B on time and undamaged. 

Ok that's true but i still just don't trust it, maybe its just me but idk. I don't like the idea of vehicles driving themselves. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

Why shouldn't it be allowed? They're paid to get cargo from one place to another, not to drive the truck. I trust an automated system more than most humans.

We already have auto pilot and flying a plane is far more risky and complicated than driving a car. Can't see why people would object to this.

Actually, driving a plane is fairly easy, its the landing and taking off that's hard.

Ok that's true but i still just don't trust it, maybe its just me but idk. I don't like the idea of vehicles driving themselves. 

How do you think Google Maps has street view? It's a self driving car. Never heard of one wrecking but I have heard of humans wrecking.

Why shouldn't it be allowed? They're paid to get cargo from one place to another, not to drive the truck. I trust an automated system more than most humans.

Yes i understand how they are pained now after the person obove me explained it but as i said to him i just don't like the idea of vehicles driving themselves. Maybe its just me but i don't trust it.

Actually, driving a plane is fairly easy, its the landing and taking off that's hard.

Flying* a plane takes more concentration and knowledge about it than driving.

Yes i understand how they are pained now after the person obove me explained it but as i said to him i just don't like the idea of vehicles driving themselves. Maybe its just me but i don't trust it.

What don't you like about it? If you set parameters that make sense then nothing will go wrong. Can't say that about the millions of idiots on the road. (Few are actually decent)

What don't you like about it? If you set parameters that make sense then nothing will go wrong. Can't say that about the millions of idiots on the road. (Few are actually decent)

haha thats true most people do tend to suck at driving but i dont know i just feal like there are things that could go wrong, but i see what you are saying.

haha thats true most people do tend to suck at driving but i dont know i just feal like there are things that could go wrong, but i see what you are saying.

Self driving cars are in less accidents than people. Yes things will always go wrong but less will go wrong with technology like this.

It's really not (I've had lessons).

How do you think Google Maps has street view? It's a self driving car. Never heard of one wrecking but I have heard of humans wrecking.

There was something Top Gear said along the lines of "If this reaches the masses you're always going to have that guy who goes 'oh I can set this up better than the yobs at a factory' and then you have a person who changed the automated settings in their car driving down the lanes at 80 miles an hour in your direction."

Then I think they said "planes can fly themselves but would you get on an airplane if there was no pilot? Probably not." Still I'm not against auto driving cars but it's going to be difficult for a generation or three.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

There was something Top Gear said along the lines of "If this reaches the masses you're always going to have that guy who goes 'oh I can set this up better than the yobs at a factory' and then you have a person who changed the automated settings in their car driving down the lanes at 80 miles an hour in your direction."

Then I think they said "planes can fly themselves but would you get on an airplane if there was no pilot? Probably not." Still I'm not against auto driving cars but it's going to be difficult for a generation or three.

Yeah, but why should we let the person that changes the settings ruin it for everyone?

Self driving cars are in less accidents than people. Yes things will always go wrong but less will go wrong with technology like this.

I guess technology and humans can both make mistakes so maybe its not that bad. Certainly not as bad as Google's self driving cars, i truly hate that idea.

I guess technology and humans can both make mistakes so maybe its not that bad. Certainly not as bad as Google's self driving cars, i truly hate that idea.

What's wrong with those?? In the million plus miles they've driven it got into one bump in a parking lot because someone did something wrong. Other than that they're extremely reliable.

We already have auto pilot and flying a plane is far more risky and complicated than driving a car. Can't see why people would object to this.

but theres really nothing to hit in the sky, anything could happen on the highway, a bird could hit the windsheild, a car accident could happen infront of you, etc etc

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

What's wrong with those?? In the million plus miles they've driven it got into one bump in a parking lot because someone did something wrong. Other than that they're extremely reliable.

yes but it isn't even the reliability on this one. It takes away driving which is fun, it takes away the experience from parents of getting to teach their children to drive, and i believe teenagers would be much less excited about getting to drive including me.

They are bad because Google is planning to eliminate manual control entirely. That's bad idea.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

yes but it isn't even the reliability on this one. It takes away driving which is fun, it takes away the experience from parents of getting to teach their children to drive, and i believe teenagers would be much less excited about getting to drive including me.

I hope you and @StingBull know that they're trying to spread self driving vehicles. There will still be vehicles that you can drive yourself..

I hope you and @StingBull know that they're trying to spread self driving vehicles. There will still be vehicles that you can drive yourself..

I think once they are out after about 50-100 years (i know that's a long time) regular cars will become very hard to find or maybe not even aloud on normal roads. Ovasly no one knows for sure but i just don't personally like the idea of them. It's just my opinion.

I think once they are out after about 50-100 years (i know that's a long time) regular cars will become very hard to find or maybe not even aloud on normal roads. Ovasly no one knows for sure but i just don't personally like the idea of them. It's just my opinion.

50-100 years I don't think I'll even feel like driving. Especially at the end nearing 100 years. :P

50-100 years I don't think I'll even feel like driving. Especially at the end nearing 100 years. :P

Maybe some other technology will be out where you can live to be much older. :)