NSA investigation: Germany arrests 'suspected US spy'

RainfallWithin

_76050993_76050992.jpg

Quotes from BBC News source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28160767

An employee of Germany's intelligence agency has been arrested on suspicion of spying for the US, reports say.

The man is said to have been trying to gather details about a German parliamentary committee that is investigating claims of US espionage.

The US National Security Agency (NSA) was last year accused of bugging the phone of Chancellor Angela Merkel as part of a huge surveillance programme.

The NSA revelations put a strain on ties between Germany and the US.

German media say the man arrested this week is a 31-year-old employee of the federal intelligence agency, known by its initials, the BND.

According to the website of news magazine, Der Spiegel, the man is believed to have passed secret documents to a US contact in exchange for money.

Germany is particularly sensitive to reports of espionage on its territory because many of its citizens from the formerly communist east of the country were spied upon by the Stasi secret police.

The scale of the NSA's global spy programme was revealed in documents leaked last year by a former intelligence contractor, Edward Snowden.

Personal Thoughts

If there is enough evidence to show that the employee was spying for the United States, then this will be another huge blow for the NSA and the United States' government. It will severly strain the relationship between the United States and Germany even further, that's for sure.

Well if the US is actually spying Germany then the relationship with Europe will also get worse since Germany has a big influence in Europe...

So even bigger delta in prices for stuff in Europe and America :'(

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

ww3 is coming

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

this will put a strain on more than just the relations with germany, but the whole union will be be uneased by this. even if he isnt found guilty.

this will put a strain on more than just the relations with germany, but the whole union will be be uneased by this. even if he isnt found guilty.

Good, maybe some IT companies will decide to move operations to EU and the US will feel more pressure to stop being spying dipshits openly by losing ground on that industry....Not that it's likely to happen but it would be nice.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well if the US is actually spying Germany then the relationship with Europe will also get worse since Germany has a big influence in Europe...

Yo the US is spying on EVERYONE not just germany. In case you didn't know, every other country does the same thing too.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I wonder if, at some point during the NSA operations, they were like "We've already set up this spying infrastructure, can't turn back now".

Macbeth ended in death.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yo the US is spying on EVERYONE not just germany. In case you didn't know, every other country does the same thing too.

Entirely this. I don't know why people think it doesn't happen. Every country has its own spy agency, and every country spies on one another.

Just think of it like high school with gossip and people going into each others cliques. Just on a larger scale.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Entirely this. I don't know why people think it doesn't happen. Every country has its own spy agency, and every country spies on one another.

Just think of it like high school with gossip and people going into each others cliques. Just on a larger scale.

This is almost definitely the case, however the United States seems to be collecting private data and spying on a huge scale. China is the other big example that people usually think of, but countries like the United Kingdom and Germany are certainly not innocent of spying either.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This is enough already.

$800 for a 780 is more than enough.

pls stop.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yes it's just that now that it is "known" the relationships between countries are going to get worse

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Every other country? Not many countries have the technology to bug the phone of a head of a state so as to get an edge in international affairs.

There isn't many country that spend tax payers dollars to build huge facilities and software just for the sake of spying. I think you have no idea how big of a deal the whole NSA espionage thing is.

Every other country? Not many countries have the technology to bug the phone of a head of a state so as to get an edge in international affairs.

There isn't many country that spend tax payers dollars to build huge facilities and software just for the sake of spying. I think you have no idea how big of a deal the whole NSA espionage thing is.

All of the big countries do it. Maybe not some poor small countries, but most do, such as canada.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Then say every first world country. I'm sure Germany has a spy in America somewhere, you can't convince me they don't.

I don't know if this would really 'strain' relationships, maybe be an annoying backroom talk like "Hoy Obama wtf r u doin" but didn't they already do that when we spied on the prime minister? Or was that Brazil...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

tumblr_llaxltGOeC1qizvnso1_500.gif

This was the first thing i was thinking of when i read this :P

All of the big countries do it. Maybe not some poor small countries, but most do, such as canada.

Yes, but they don't have anything close (as far as we know) to things like PRISM.

Then say every first world country. I'm sure Germany has a spy in America somewhere, you can't convince me they don't.

I don't know if this would really 'strain' relationships, maybe be an annoying backroom talk like "Hoy Obama wtf r u doin" but didn't they already do that when we spied on the prime minister? Or was that Brazil...

Brazil cancelled its order for fighter planes worth billions for Boeing. Germany had delayed the EU-US free trade negotiations because of the phone spying. It can still get much worse than that.

Yeah countries spy on each other, welcome to the world. 

I get more annoyed when governments get caught spying on their own people, I could care less about them spying on other governments.

Conceal your intentions