Why don't schools etc. use OpenOffice

Gammawolf

It would be better to install openoffice as it would save schools money if schools have to pay for it and the students don't have to pay over a 100 to do homework, OpenOffice can open Microsoft word documents if anyone uses microsoft word

are schools stupid or something they should abandon Microsoft word and use OpenOffice

It would be better to install openoffice as it would save schools money if schools have to pay for it and the students don't have to pay over a 100 to do homework, OpenOffice can open Microsoft word documents if anyone uses microsoft word

are schools stupid or something they should abandon Microsoft word and use OpenOffice

Having tried both IMO Word is still the better program. Regardless schools are businesses and businesses can strike good bulk deals for software packages like Microsoft Office.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Because it is buggy and there is no support.

Your school will buy licences in large quantity. they wont pay anywhere near £75 per copy.

When they buy their machines, Word etc... comes pre bundled

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

I'll tell them for you, expect a change within hours.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Because it is buggy and there is no support.

Your school will buy licences in large quantity. they wont pay anywhere near £75 per copy.

they should at least have both i'm fed up having to use my dads ancient windows vista computer 

4 words. Limited. Functionality. And. Support.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

they should at least have both i'm fed up having to use my dads ancient windows vista computer 

How ancient is it? My Core i7 system still runs Vista simply because I still love Vista.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Microsoft basically gives Office products to educational institutions for free.  

Why wouldn't they use the obviously superior product when it's getting them for basically the same price?

Microsoft basically gives Office products to educational institutions for free.  

Why wouldn't they use the obviously superior product when it's getting them for basically the same price?

what i'm talking about is that schools install openoffice and the students that don't have microsoft office can use openoffice at home to do homework and other things  for school and the teachers will be able to open the openoffice documents using openoffice

My schools have MS Office 2013 on all the computers. People don't use it nearly as much as they used to because the teachers want people to use Google Drive. (It makes it a lot easier to access files and stuff at home.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

How ancient is it? My Core i7 system still runs Vista simply because I still love Vista.

im not sure how old but it only has 2 GB of ram which is not enough for vista and there's nothing wrong with vista the people that moaned about it were people that bought cheap computers that were not powerful enough for it  

what i'm talking about is that schools install openoffice and the students that don,t have microsoft office can use openoffice at home to do homework and other things  for school and the teachers will be able to open the openoffice documents using openoffice

Uh. I'm pretty sure you can save files as a MS Word document and use it in MS Office. (At least with Google Drive you can.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

what i'm talking about is that schools install openoffice and the students that don't have microsoft office can use openoffice at home to do homework and other things  for school and the teachers will be able to open the openoffice documents using openoffice

Last time I used both of them, you could save Open office documents in .docx format and they would open just fine with Word.

So....again, I don't see the problem.

because the business world uses microsoft office , what's the point in teaching students how to use open office if when they go to get a job they are required to use MS office. 

My High School uses both and i use Libre office cause M$ sucks.

My old high school uses both and I think at my university not all computers have office installed (never used it).

I also don't really understand why office has such a dominant position in business world.

But then again I never really used it a lot and now it doesn't suit my needs at all.

Schools are rarely ones doing such decitions. Since most times they are funded by goverment, state or city, those buy service from someone and take the best offer. Universitys and colleges are bit different but they also take best offer. For them its also about how other software work. The biggest reason why Linux isn't yet taken over the workstation side.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Microsoft has this agreement with schools where schools get free Operating systems and Microsoft software 

Because the free alternatives can be buggy, have a hand balled past and usually lack any real support.  Office is a premium platform used by most businesses and finally education departments have unlimited licenses for all MS OS's and productivity software. 

So it costs bugger all, works better, has full support and sets kids up for the predominant office software used in business.

EDIT: there was a similar thread a while back asking the same thing about using Linux instead of windows, the answer was the same, it doesn't cost less and is currently not refined enough for productivity/compatibility.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.