Goldman Sachs suing Google over erroneous email

Victorious Secret

goldman-sachs-investwithalex2.jpg

GS typed the wrong email, wrong person got confidential client info, GS wants Google to unsend the email but Google wants a court order first, probably because Google finds it amusing to screw around with Goldman Sachs and not because they can't 'unsend' the email. Person who recieved the email probably already opened and got what they need, Google has no real reason to help out, GS is entering rage mode to infinity. 

GS forgot that Google Labs as a "unsend" feature, but hey. Lets just sue someone else because we are incompetent. 

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/2/5865613/goldman-sachs-is-suing-google-to-un-send-an-accidental-email

What the hell is unsend going to do after they already copied the contents of the mail.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This is why you must be careful sending confidential information. <_<

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Im pretty sure that FINRA require that all emails are encrypted. I doubt the person that accidently recieves the email will recieve anything they can actually use/read.

Google asks for a court order so they are going to sue, isn't that logical if it's very important information?

Personally I think that Google's behaviour shows integrity.

For most people? Yes. But look at the plaintiff here: Goldman Sachs, they are used to just throwing money at problems and they thought well just release the lawyer hounds on them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

For most people? Yes. But look at the plaintiff here: Goldman Sachs, they are used to just throwing money at problems and they thought well just release the lawyer hounds on them.

Yup, GS is used to getting their own way no matter what. 

GS doesn't realize they're trying to rattle the cage of freaking Google. 

if it was that confidential wouldnt they double check the senders address first?.........

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

In my opinion Google must have taken this into account (and the potential for this lawsuit) before making the decision to reject the request. When two large companies enter court battles I always find it reasonably safe to assume that they both consider themselves to be in a strong position legally and hence the decision to invest money in litigation.

If Google's legal stance on this is solid then maybe it's a good opportunity to fight a titan and set a precedent for futher such issues with smaller plaintiffs, GS certainly has money for lawyers but Google does also.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, and if any settlement comes along before a court hearing even happens.

You know, if we just assume that the email was related to obfuscating evidence in a murder case and add Jerry Orbach throwing one liners and Sam Waterson using law chicanery and strong arm tactics vs Goldman Sachs, we'd have a pretty decent Law and Order episode

-------

Current Rig

-------

Didn't know gmail had a unsend feature. Huh you learn something every day

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Im pretty sure that FINRA require that all emails are encrypted. I doubt the person that accidently recieves the email will recieve anything they can actually use/read.

but they could sell it to someone who can decrypt it ;)

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Hahaha god this is why you double check where you send things.

Google letting GS bring this to court just to embarrass GS on a public stage xD

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I'm sorry to be stupid but who/whats gs?

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

I'm sorry to be stupid but who/whats gs?

Goldman Sachs is a financial firm in the US, they are known for idiocy with technology. They sue people because of their own stupidity, a recent case there was a programmer that was using open source software to complete his job and as a good programmer any errors he found in the open source software he uploaded fixes for, this enraged goldman sachs and they sued him as they alleged he stole their trade secrets by uploading their secret open source software. In essence Goldman thought the software completely belonged to them. The programmer was eventually found not guilty however it cost the man his life savings, house and marriage.  They are just scumbags in general that would sue you if you made their coffee wrong.

here is the article if your interested

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-17/ex-goldman-programmer-s-conviction-overturned-on-appeal.html

In short if you know whats good for you don't work for them if you know anything about technology and or software.

Goldman Sachs is a financial firm in the US, they are known for idiocy with technology. They sue people because of their own stupidity, a recent case there was a programmer that was using open source software to complete his job and as a good programmer any errors he found in the open source software he uploaded fixes for, this enraged goldman sachs and they sued him as they alleged he stole their trade secrets by uploading their secret open source software. In essence Goldman thought the software completely belonged to them. The programmer was eventually found not guilty however it cost the man his life savings, house and marriage. They are just scumbags in general that would sue you if you made their coffee wrong.

here is the article if your interested

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-17/ex-goldman-programmer-s-conviction-overturned-on-appeal.html

In short if you know whats good for you don't work for them if you know anything about technology and or software.

I don't know what to say, that's so far gone. How could someone be so stupid? Jesus Christ I shall sue them for no reason xD

Google bankrupt those tools.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

I don't know what to say, that's so far gone. How could someone be so stupid? Jesus Christ I shall sue them for no reason xD Google bankrupt those tools.

Actually they're quite fucking big themselves, I'd be a true battle of the fatties when it comes to moneys and all. Fortunately, their hubris gets in the way of their common sense and usually don't have much of a case at all to argue when it comes to stuff like this.

-------

Current Rig

-------

theres an unsend button? learn something new everyday.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Actually they're quite fucking big themselves, I'd be a true battle of the fatties when it comes to moneys and all. Fortunately, their hubris gets in the way of their common sense and usually don't have much of a case at all to argue when it comes to stuff like this.

Damn that's crazy how can you be so big and be so stupid? Lol

1 Google - 0 GS.

If it was that confidential, don't send it over an email. There are secure file transfers out there for a reason..

Unsending an email is like taking pee out of a swimming pool.

Why can't I like this more then once xD

What if they actually succeed? What if Google is ordered to go into the recipients inbox and delete it?

Technological limitations. You can't undelete an email. Especially if it was pushed to someone's own private POP/IMAP mail server.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.