H100i or Glacer 240L on 4790K

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

I'm in the USA, I'd likely jump on the H320 if it were available here, anyone know if CM is going to do a variant of it?

Quotes don't seem to be working for me....am I doing something wrong?

the swiftech H320 (360mm radiator kit) is available from NCIX.US

Swiftech H320 the cooler master prolly won't be publically released until august/september.

First post! I am a newb at water cooling and in the process of upgrading my rig from an X58 i7 950 to Z97 i7 4790K. I was sold on the corsair H100i for several weeks and actually have the unit, however yesterday I first found out about the  the glacer based off the Swiftech model reviews and almost pulled the trigger for Monday delivery.

The pro reviews all seem great for the Glacer, however user reviews seem to not be as great, noise, and build quality the primary culprits.

I have the CPU, Mobo and H100i in my possession, do you think the improved thermals of DC would basically offset the added cooling capacity of the Glacer 240L , or should I wait and order one? I want to get the highest everyday OC I can while still being a quiet system.

Thanks!

Isnt the Glacer an H220 with CM branding and fans? Are there other differences?

Glacier 240L for me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If you can't get the H220 get the Glacer 240L. Or heck if you can fit it in your case get the H320. Or the Kraken X61 if you want a 280mm option. Welcome to the fourm enjoy your stay. 

I really like the expansion option, though I really don't see myself taking advantage of it, I've been building since the mid 90's and never touched water....seen way too many mishaps when it first started getting popular, and it took me a long time to get comfortable with the idea of an AIO....

My case is a Corsair 800D, 280mm would require a hard mod, though a triple 120 (360mm?) would likely fit fine, though I haven't seen that option in an AIO.

I myself is not comfortable with water and still stick woth air cooler

Custom kit for about the same price? 

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

My case is a Corsair O 800D, 280mm would require a hard mod, though a triple 120 (360mm?) would likely fit fine, though I haven't seen that option in an AIO.

AIO usually only 240 or 280 mm rad. There are custom loop kit from EK and Alphacool that has included 360 mm rad.

I'm in the USA, I'd likely jump on the H320 if it were available here, anyone know if CM is going to do a variant of it?

The only reason you would go h100i would be for corsair link for controlling system fans with custom fan curves etc. Other than that it's not that good without the rubber mount mod. Pure performance would be better with something sporting a stronger pump and/or bigger rad, not to mention expandability could let something like the 240l replace a custom loop.

My mobo is an Asus Maximus Hero VII, Corsair link looks neat, but with a handful of splitters I think I can run all my fans through PWM and basically achieve the same result.

It would be great to hear first hand reports from Glacer 240L users, pros,cons, tips and tricks etc.

Custom kit for about the same price? 

I'm not sure if you can make a good custom loop for ~100 dollars

I'm not sure if you can make a good custom loop for ~100 dollars

You can get packages for like $150 that include: res, pump, rad, fans, tubing, cpu block and coolant.

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:

the swiftech H320 (360mm radiator kit) is available from NCIX.US

Swiftech H320 the cooler master prolly won't be publically released until august/september.

You can get packages for like $150 that include: res, pump, rad, fans, tubing, cpu block and coolant.

oh wow, that sounds pretty cool(hehe). do they come pre-assembled for you or do you have to assemble them?

oh wow, that sounds pretty cool(hehe). do they come pre-assembled for you or do you have to assemble them?

You need to assemble them. Alphacool, XSPC and Phobya make them. 

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_45&products_id=25060

COOLING:

Thanks Airdeano!

Almost pulled the trigger instantly on the H320, and still might. Going to think on it a little more.

Pros for the H100i , I have it now ready for install, 5 year warranty and no maintenance outside of dusting , I can have improved fans delivered tomorrow

Cons for the H100i, much less cooling capacity, much louder with stock fans, no expansion

Pros for the Swiftech H320 , max cooling capacity, huge copper radiator, near limitless expansion it seems, the block aesthetics suit me much better

Cons for the H320, expandability (as a H2O newb this scares me a little) , wont ship for 4-5 days per NCIX site, shorter warranty period by 2 years, refill recommended after 3 years, for every glowing pro review video there seems to be at least 5 vids with the pump making noises it should not(this is the biggest con by far)

I am probably older than most here, and have a severe spinal injury that limits a lot of what I used to do....so with my builds when its done....I like it to be DONE, within reason of course. Its very difficult for me to move the Obsidian 800D case, however I got it primarily so I could swap cards and drives etc without moving it as it has plenty of room. All the vids of the Swiftech pumps be it the H220,320 or Glacer clicking, grinding, whining etc scare the bejuzus out of me....if it weren't for those I probably would have ordered the Glacer right after seeing the JayZTwoCents vid on it which is the first I ever saw of these products.

I'm torn, by design the 4790K should not "need" as much cooling capacity as its previous counterparts, so overall performance probably wont be as far apart as the chips should not get as hot period.....and water still scare the hell out of me, spent about 6 hours watching vids on these yesterday....and afterwards started looking at air coolers again :lol:

Going to think on for another hour or three, Thanks for all the replies, this place seems great and I will likely be hanging out here a while!.

How is it a replacement? Based on the reviews I've dug up the Nepton 280L hit the Market at least 6 months before the Glacer, at least in the USA. Its also not expandable, which is the whole point of the Glacer.

Hmmm no the Glacer is not sold here, and maybe thats what CMNormu on here meant when he said the Nepton replaces the Glacer as here its discontinued, but not in the US it seems, my bad, wonder why it was discontinued over here tho!?

Maybe because the swiftech H220 is available? The Swiftech is unavailable here because Asutek is suing for patent infringements, which is why they went through CM with the Glacer from what I've read.