How often do you upgrade your PC components/peripherals?

geforceftw

I don't do a whole lot of taxing stuff on my pc and peripherals, so I'd say I won't get an upgrade until something dies.

When i feel the need to. Just sold my gtx 760, wanted to buy a 7970 but it was sold before i could buy it. Now im stuck with a hd 6670, which still plays csgo at low 1080p, which is what i need it to do. Not doing any heavy gaming so i probably upgrade when fc4 is around the corner.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I'm still using my sidewinder x6 & x8, although the mouse is beginning to descend to the end of its lifetime

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

i dont upgrade them if i dont have a need for a newer or better one. 

Wow, when I read these comments I think it is save to say I'm an enthusiast lol ;) .

When it comes to peripherals I only upgrade when I see a necessity. I mean things like mouse, keyboard, headset, etc... my Naga MMO is pretty much done, so I'm looking to find a good alternative but I might be ending up with another Razer mouse.

But if I see something that I want to try I buy that as well :).

Now when it comes to hardware itself... that's a whole different story. Usually I upgrade my pc's more than once a year (bought 5 different GPUs last year...). Lucky me to have enough friends/customers that are buying my "used" stuff, because it is anyway just about 6 months old at the max. I like hardware and working with it, usually I buy always very high rated stuff. Though I'll skip Intel's DC now for the Haswell E. But as soon as this comes out with DDR4 and good boards i'll probably end up buying Intel's new 8 core and hope to win the silicon lottery (or at least not suck in it haha) to see what this beast can do with watercooling.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I upgrade the system has a whole between 5 to 7 years.

The graphics card i upgrade once every 2 to 3 years.

So during my systems life time it has at least 2 graphics cards !

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

Depends what...

I didn't upgrade my CPU since 6 years, now probably I will go with the "flow" if I have any profits of it, same with the rest of the things I think.

It was a crazy year with my cases, I just ordered the fourth one this year :D Probably I will change it if I get disappointed with the Silverstone PS07 (I think I won't :D) or I will be changing the form factor.

I think that once I get really awesome CPU Cooling and PSU I won't change it for a couple of years.

I change the peripherals when they die. Monitors have really long live at my house. I bought mine 6 years ago for 400$ and it was totally worth it, I will buy a new one soon and I will also buy quite a high end one for 400$ as well.

I will start changing parts/ looking into a new machine when I cannot get what I want done in a timely manner, and/or unable to play modern games.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Haven't upgraded anything since upgrading from my initial SSD bought in the beginning of 2010 to a new one in 2013... other than that, pretty much everything is 4 to 5 years old by now.

I just don't see why I should. My current PC handles everything just fine and while I can no longer max out newer games, I can still play them at decent setting that are still better looking than anything on console.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Keyboards never have to be replaced and my mouse is a deathadder, so I have to wait for a better mouse/sensor combo to come out.  My rig is pretty old... I probably wont upgrade for a while since I'm going to college :(

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I upgraded from a 2005 PC to what I have now in 2012.  I'll upgrade when my computer can't handle what I am doing anymore at the speed I want it to run at.

minimum of every other generation for GPU

usually every serious performance increase for CPU

I went from i5-2500K to i7-3770-K for hyperthreading and PCI Express 3.0 and was surprised by the differences.

Now waiting impatiently for unlocked Skylakes...

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

So far the average seems to be once every 6 years. But I built this thing last December and will be upgrading it this coming December and will stay put for a couple years.

DISCIPLE OF HIS HOLINESS, GABEN FIRST OF HIS NAME FOR NOW AND THE END OF TIME

STEAM - Brendson | ORIGIN - LGBrendson | BATTLE.NET - Brendson#2793

PLACES TO FOLLOW ME - Pastebin

Every 4 to 5 generations of MB/CPU combos I tend to upgrade.  RAM usually gets bundled into that as well depending on how RAM is rolling.  With video cards I usually upgrade every 3-4 generations and might SLI a card if I don't see anything revolutionary with the next generation but feel frames suffering and the price point has dropped enough on my current model (very wait and see, touchy feely with video card upgrade).  I have been lucky as hell with HDs and SSDs (knock on wood) so most of the time those get transfered over, but I do tend to get a new 'windows' drive 'almost' everytime I get a new CPU/MB combo to insure the system is safe and the older stuff bumps down to storage.

Of course this also has a lot to do with how money is going at the time.  Or how well aged some generations might last.  Current stuff (past few years) seems to be aging really well and not as much need to lightning speed upgrade as it was in the past.  I have no doubts that console driven gaming market has really helped in that reguard since things are pushed as hard to the limit as they once were.  Although I won't lie that my latest system was a complete ground up build.  It has been a while since I started out fresh and money wasn't a problem.  Plus it gave me a great tick-tock case set up now because I got a Corsair 800 (i think was a gift from friend) in the closest and the 900D on my desk now.  I can see those 2 cases lasting for a LONG time allowing me to build in one when needed and have the other one still up and running.

Corsair 900D [ASUS Sabertooth Z87] i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz [x4 4BG Corsair Dominator Platnum 2133mhz]
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) [2TB  Western Digital Caviar Black (Storage)] 2x Nivida 980GTX SLI 

Beyerdynamic DT990's [Logitech 600] Razor Blackwiddow Ultimate [MS XBOX360 gamepad]

When I get 30fps on medium settings at 1080p.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Always when I want to upgrade and have the money.

I dont have specific Timecycles. For Example Ill upgrade my MoBo/CPU soon, Ill get an ASUS HERO VII + 4790k, cause I made the mistake to buy a crappy ASRock Mobo for ~50$ with an i7 2600.

Probably end of the year Ill try to get a new GPU, prob. a GTX780TI mybe even two. That should be it for Quite a Time.

▼ Im with Stoopid

When people start making fun of me for having them

INTEL CORE I3 4130 | EVGA Nvidia GTX 750 Ti | CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 | COOLERMASTER HAF 912 | ASUS H81M-C/CSM LGA 1150

It will probably be a long ass time before I upgrade my computer. The applications I use probably won't need anything stronger than a 3570k in the next few years. This is the same for my graphics card, I don't play games a ton and when I do I can play them on ultra (BF4, Dayz, etc). My computer won't 'slow down' like computers used to because I have an SSD. The only thing I'll 'NEED' to upgrade within the next few years would probably be my hard drive due to the fact that it's like 7 years old. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

at the moment all i want to change is my ssd setup and get more monitors. Depending on how star citizen pans out i might have to upgrade gpus at some point this year or early next year. Also when skylake e is out then i will get a new cpu and ddr4

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I might upgrade my GPU in a year or so, but everything else is running great for me.

So far the average seems to be once every 6 years. But I built this thing last December and will be upgrading it this coming December and will stay put for a couple years.

6 years really?

Everyone year pretty much, some components will last 18months to 2 years, obviously if things like hard drives and ssds are ok then they might last longer

Peripherals I change every couple of years

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii