How often do you upgrade your PC components/peripherals?

geforceftw

Do you wait 1 generation or 5 generations before upgrading your PC? What about your peripherals? Do you use parts till they are broken or are severely outdated?

I don't upgrade often. I'm using PC parts that are 2-4 generations. My keyboard and mouse are the original k90/m90 and i don't plan on upgrading soon. I don't upgrade my monitor at all, I will soon though its from 07/08 and isn't even 1080p

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

It depends on how significant the performance increase is. If it's a huge increase then I'll be tempted to upgrade, but in the case of Haswell vs DC, I'll pass.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Now that I have a Kinda BA system I'm not planning on upgrading anything for a very long time. Also, my Ducky Shine 3 and Logitech G502 are the perfect peripherals for me, so they stay until they break. I have actually considered getting a second G502 in case they're discontinued by the time mine dies.

Slight amendment: I plan on upgrading to SLI 780Ti's in the not-too-distant future, but once that happens my system will hopefully not change for a few generations, depending on advancements that are made in those generations.

As soon as I no longer get an enjoyable experience in games, or my pc can't perform tasks in a timely manor. Usually very 3 years or so.

Once i feel that my PC no longer does what i want in the time i want it to do that (or achieve a specific fps in a game) then i upgrade. For peripherals, i use them until they break and then perhaps buy the same one again because i am so used to it.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Do you wait 1 generation or 5 generations before upgrading your PC? What about your peripherals? Do you use parts till they are broken or are severely outdated?

I don't upgrade often. I'm using PC parts that are 2-4 generations. My keyboard and mouse are the original k90/m90 and i don't plan on upgrading soon. I don't upgrade my monitor at all, I will soon though its from 07/08 and isn't even 1080p

never

never

with a pc like yours you probably "never" have to upgrade.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

I plan to stay with my rig for at least another 2-3 years...but let's see how things go. For now, I'm more than happy!

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

When they are destroyed is the only time i buy new shit.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

There is an 8% chance I will when I get payed.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

well the first time I built a computer I had to get some new stuff for it 5 months after I built because I knew nothing about pc parts, but now every year or two for minor stuff like the power supply and 3 to 4 years for major things like cpu or mobo.

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

I like to treat myself to new tech goodies every now and then. although theres a difference between treating yourself to something nice and new and fresh every now and again rather than just going to buy every new component when it comes out just to boast about it, that's just unnecessary in my eyes. I haven't actually gotten a new monitor in a while nor do I really upgrade monitors often. the last monitor I got was last year around the holidays and it was an asus. its the only one I have since I got rid of my old one and now I keep one monitor and my laptop on my desk. the newest thing I have other than my new laptop is my mouse. I got the naga 2014, which im very satisfied with and I don't see myself needing a new mouse anytime soon. the only thing I can see myself getting soon is a new keyboard. ive been wanting a mechanical keyboard for ages now :P

AS FOR MY PC, I really don't think its time for an upgrade anytime soon. peripherals and monitors are different IMO, with the pc itself, theres really no need to upgrade unless you have a pc from the stone ages that simply isn't running things up to par anymore.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

very precise sir.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I find that the best bang for buck regime is to upgrade once every 4-5 years and upgrade to hardware that is one year old.  If my upgrade cycle means that I am upgrading at the end of this year I will wait till the 800 series comes out and upgrade to a 780 or whatever the AMD equivalent is depending on price.  This way I am spending a minimal amount and can always play the latest titles at an acceptable quality setting.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

never until this day... *goes & cries in the corner*

Details separate people.

I think i'll try to upgrade every 3years or so~. I recently upgraded my GPU, which was a gtx 460 to a gtx 780. In september I'll upgrade to haswell-e & x99, currently i've got an i7 950 processor. The processor is still able to handle everything I throw at it but for me it's just a matter of wanting to upgrade and not actually needing to :P. And peripherals, hmm i'd say every 2 years~.

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

I didn't upgrade my old PC (which lasted about 7-8 years). I intend to upgrade my new PC in about a year from i3 to i5 and from R7 260X to something better (didn't want to go beyond my budget when I built it). After that I'll see when the support for 1150 ends and stay with the last gen for that for a few years before I upgrade to a new socket.

My goal is to upgrade GPU every other year and CPU/mobo every other GPU. SSD hdd ram psu can all get replaced when they break or in the case of the psu I need more power. Peripherals I will upgrade whenever I want the new ones. I've got a keyboard and mouse that are less than a year old and will be swapped out for new ones when the rgb line launches from corsair. I don't mix brands on peripherals. Monitors are when they quit too. I'm not a monitor junky, if the whites look good enough then it works

When something outdates my needs.....or breaks like my challenger pro last week! :(

my last upgrade was a gtx 670 ftw from a gtx 460.  At the moment my system consists of a 2500k and a MSI p67 mobo with broken usb 3.0 ports...LOL!  

can't upgrade anything at the moment due to financial constraints.

I usually like to upgrade if there's a must need for or if something breaks.

2 generations , 680-880 and 3930k-5930k

Main Rig : i7 5960X - 16GB DDR4 LPX 2400mhz - Asus Rampage V - 980GTX Ti - AX1200i - 650D - H110 - 1TB 840 EVO SSD - 30 inch HP 1600p IPS + 2xHP 20 inch 1600x1200 PLP setup! - Oculus DK2 - Logitech G502 - Corsair K70 RGB - Fanatec GT3 Wheel

i7 3930K - 16GB DDR3 2133mhz - Asus Rampage IV - 2 x 680GTX - AX850 - 550D - H100i - 256GB 830 Pro SSD - 2713HM 1440p IPS - G5 -

i5 3570K - MSI SLI Z87 motherboard - 4GB Corsair 1600mhz - Adaptec 31205 - Dell Perc 5/i - Intel Quad PT1000 Gigabit Network Card - Loads of 4TB RED's - +-70tb total storrage - HX850watts - Ri-Vier 24bay 4 U case

for now its every year or so, but thats just until i get it up to a standard im really happy with. I stared with everything being very budget and am slowly working up, 
in Feb i upgraded my PSU, Mobo, GPU and case. up next ( hopefully before the year is out) will be RAM i also do small upgrades as often as something i want goes cheap. 
The only things left for me to do are RAM, watercooling and hopefully replacing my really abused FX-8150 with a 8350. once its all up to fairly new spec ill start saving and move an intel rig... or a hackintosh for video work 

CPU: AMD Fx-8370 @ 4.8 Ghz MoBo: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z GPU: Msi Gtx 770 'gaming' RAM 16GB kingston hyperX fury  PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: Corsair H55 Case: Corsair 760T
I want the most powerful PC in the world.... and ill still just play Dota on it