45 Seconds windows 8 boot up, Maximus VI Extreme

Hello,

I am using,
Maximus Vi Extreme
Asus 290 DCU II
Corsair vengeance pro 16 gb 1866 MHZ
7200rpm wd black HDD

I installed widnows 8 and installed all asus mobo drives and gpu drivers. 

the boot time is almost high as 45 seconds. It takes 15 seconds on bios, another 20-25 seconds on windows 8 logo. And once I enter my password, it takes 7 seconds to show my start screen.

Is it normal redface.png My CPU is running at 3.5 GHZ and at max at 3.7GHz with 100% load on Prime 95. Temps stay from 35 to 60 degree at 100% load.

You don't have an ssd, therefore it's normal that it takes that much. With those specs an ssd is your number one upgrade priority.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Get a SSD and fast :)

That kind of system without ssd is just crazy :)

MX100, m500, m550, adata sp920 are all good choices.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

You don't have an ssd, therefore it's normal that it takes that much. With those specs an ssd is your number one upgrade priority.

Get a SSD and fast :)

That kind of system without ssd is just crazy :)

MX100, m500, m550, adata sp920 are all good choices.

He has a SSD, it's in his sig. A Samsung 840 EVO

Also, I'll be here to follow, got the same problem, with a SSD too

Thanks, I did buy a 120 gb samsung evo ssd, but I ran out of space in a day of using it. I have alot of apps to install and some will only install on Drive C:. I am planning to buy 2 500Gb ssd and set it up on Raid 0. But I will need to wait to get some cash.

This is my plans right now,

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $335.10) 
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $436.10) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (Purchased For $204.69) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $95.00) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (Purchased For $526.81) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($389.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 WaterCooling Kit (Purchased For $280.50)
Total: $3393.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I did use the ssd at first. But i ran out of space so had to go back to old hdd.

I am using,

Maximus Vi Extreme

Asus 290 DCU II

7200rpm wd black HDD

I don't know about you but I don't see a SSD.

Also you have to enable windows SSD boot thing in bios 

My Rig: Intel 3770k with Corsair H100i pull, Asus Z98 pro , Corsair Vengeance 8GBx2 2100 mhz CL9, Galax HOF 1080 TI, 4 x OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig Raid 0, Corsair AX 850, Corsair Obsidian 650D

Make sure you install w 8.1 in uefi mode.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Install only your OS and a few essential programs on the SSD. Any games and media on the HDD. 

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I am using,

Maximus Vi Extreme

Asus 290 DCU II

7200rpm wd black HDD

I don't know about you but I don't see a SSD.

Also you have to enable windows SSD boot thing in bios 

Install only your OS and a few essential programs on the SSD. Any games and media on the HDD. 

Actually I have a ssd listed in my signature. which i don't use for boot because 120GB is not enough for me as a local disk C.

I installed, all mobo and gpu drivers and utilities. And then installed Visual Studio 2013 in another drive but it added some frameworks and stuff to program files folder. Installed Windows 8.1 sdk and I ran out of 120 Gb

Actually I have a ssd listed in my signature. which i don't use for boot because 120GB is not enough for me as a local disk C.

I installed, all mobo and gpu drivers and utilities. And then installed Visual Studio 2013 in another drive but it added some frameworks and stuff to program files folder. Installed Windows 8.1 sdk and I ran out of 120 Gb

Use the old hdd for the other programs, because you got a SSD, then use it(Take advantage!!). Just for programs you use the most. My SSD is full to. But I got an old laptop drive for the rest and games.

@B1G_WH1T3 As I wrote and you quoted: In his signature...

Use the old hdd for the other programs, because you got a SSD, then use it(Take advantage!!). Just for programs you use the most. My SSD is full to. But I got an old laptop drive for the rest and games.

@B1G_WH1T3 As I wrote and you quoted: In his signature...

It is because when I run out of space, I can't extract any files from winrar. I normally download compressed files over 2gb which can extract up to 10-20GB. So I won't be having enough temp space.

i think I will get a ssd this month. I wanted to get another gpu first, but I think ssd is important than a second gpu :P

45secs is a lot even for an HDD anyway

i just tried with my laptop (which is nothing special, with a 5400rpm hdd) and it booted up in a bit less than 30secs

Install windows 8 in Uefi mode, remove startup programs except drivers and antivirus essential stuff.

Get an SSD and run whatever you want in 5 seconds,with HDD the boot is inconsistent sometimes it feel like the boot up just hangs there.

Somethings wrong on your PC definately with your install.

It is because when I run out of space, I can't extract any files from winrar. I normally download compressed files over 2gb which can extract up to 10-20GB. So I won't be having enough temp space.

i think I will get a ssd this month. I wanted to get another gpu first, but I think ssd is important than a second gpu :P

You should(are) be able to choose your download destination? To another drive than C? Or you could also keep some free space on the SSD, so only OS and few primary programs, with enough headroom for uncompressing 30-40 gb files? Just to benefit from the SSD you already got?

Oh ok I thought he didn't because he doesn't have it in the original post

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh ok I thought he didn't because he doesn't have it in the original post

I couldn't be sure, but i assumed as the mobo, cpu etc. was the same in the sig. 

Install windows 8 in Uefi mode, remove startup programs except drivers and antivirus essential stuff.

Get an SSD and run whatever you want in 5 seconds,with HDD the boot is inconsistent sometimes it feel like the boot up just hangs there.

Somethings wrong on your PC definately with your install.

Can I know how to install in UEFI. I installed window 8 yesterday after formatting my HDD with win 8.1 from DVD boot and installed all drivers + utilities from asus dvd. 

15sec on bios? weird

k so, u have recent stuff. That gpu robably has a button, to change bios. It should have uefi and legacy bios.

so there should be some option on bios (boot section) that gives you the option to do fast/ultra fast boots. For those modes (specially ultra) it is required for the gpu to have the uefi bios chosen.

After that, you should do windows install as uefi. You can google it easy, you just need to make a uefi enabled usb pen with windows, there are over 9k guides on web.

this, in my experience, gives you the fastest boot time, 5secs on my pc from power button to windows.

I'm sry if i didn't make sense, im on some meds that put me confused, i don't know if i'm even saying this right (im not joking, im stoned by meds)

1-make a usb for a windows uefi installation

2-put gpu with uefi bios enabled

3-put the motherboard bios on ultra fast boot (or equivalent option)

4- install windows on ssd

5- have fun

edit (links):

uefi stick   http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Cant find a decent bios image to show fast boots modes on asus. I'm not experienced on asus bios, so look for it yourself.

Your gpu says it's UEFI compatible (checked it on website)

Can I know how to install in UEFI. I installed window 8 yesterday after formatting my HDD with win 8.1 from DVD boot and installed all drivers + utilities from asus dvd. 

Yes its pretty easy but your problem simply sounds to be the slow HDD, use one of your SSD for windows its A MUST nowdays.I dont know how you use your drives and such and what you store on them but seriously i see you have 3 SSD, use the 120 GB samsung for windows its the easiest fix here.

Also for UEFI http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

If your dvd doesnt offer UEFI install mode you should make a bootable UEFI USB with windows on it.Thats how i do it  i havent used a DVD in over 3 years now.

Also UEFI its just slightly faster and its mostly a bios thing makes ultra fast boot from bios to windows loading and such,after that is up to the HDD and HDD is slow.My win 8.1 in UEFi boots in like 5-6 sec doesnt even show any bios details or motherboard info,i press start button and i get almost instant to loading windows then> desktop.

Also boot is just one side of the story,doing anything from the HDD is just way too slow,even browsing internet or pc settings because of it.

Make sure you install w 8.1 in uefi mode.

Sry, what is UEFI mode and how do I use/enable it ?

Sry, what is UEFI mode and how do I use/enable it ?

ähm, ignore the how do I enable UEFI part pls...

woow, I still wonder why it takes soo much time on bios. Do you guys have any ideas ?

I used the overcloking profiles in bios to check if I can overclock but I couldn't use windows. The temps were below 50 and when i started prime95 windows showed [whea_uncorrectable_error] and shut down. Some overcloking presets did not even let me to go to windows and showed failure in bios.

Is it normal or should I actually get a exchange for cpu/mobo ?

woow, I still wonder why it takes soo much time on bios. Do you guys have any ideas ?

I used the overcloking profiles in bios to check if I can overclock but I couldn't use windows. The temps were below 50 and when i started prime95 windows showed [whea_uncorrectable_error] and shut down. Some overcloking presets did not even let me to go to windows and showed failure in bios.

Is it normal or should I actually get a exchange for cpu/mobo ?

It's normal for overclocks to not be stable, particularly preset ones.

Try swapping the front USB port headers around on the motherboard. Mine used to stay at the ASUS boot logo for a good 20 seconds until I did that.

USB 2.0 ?

Usb 2.0 has three ports on mobo, One used by the oc panel. 

Usb 3.0 has only one