What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia
2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Apple's warranties aren't any worse than what's standard in the industry -- most companies only include a 1 year warranty and charge for anything more. The fact that they don't acknowledge device-wide problems is another story and is a problem in and of itself, but their warranty is perfectly is fine.

"Not any worse than the industry standard" is pretty bad for a premium brand.

It is certainly not they should receive praise for at the very least.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

And I get a feeling the latter bit of this point is directed at me -- you can convince them to fix/replace things that are out of warranty for free -- not for some extra charge. I've done it quite a few times now (mainly because their chargers are stupidly fragile around the connectors).

It was not specifically at you since I've heard several people tell stories of how they were denied support, and then they went back the other day and talked to another person and got help from them.

Anyhow, that's bad service.

8 hours ago, LynxFX said:

Macbook Pro - Can't run most games = 3000$ CDN 

x2 Asus Strix GTX 1080 TI's - Runs all games in 4k at high frame rates on highest graphic settings = 2000$ CDN 

Need I go on?

ones a laptop and the other are two graphics cards.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

"Not any worse than the industry standard" is pretty bad for a premium brand.

It is certainly not they should receive praise for at the very least.

A lot of their products aren't priced any worse than competing products -- so again, they're no more premium than the rest of the market that they're competing with.

And Apple support still understands english, so that's a huge step up from most other support where you have to struggle to convey any message, and having the option to go into an Apple store and show the device to a "genius" and let them figure out the problem is also something that isn't really an option with other companies. 

It was not specifically at you since I've heard several people tell stories of how they were denied support, and then they went back the other day and talked to another person and got help from them.

Anyhow, that's bad service.

I'd rather be told "no" a third of the time rather than 100% of the time.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

33 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A lot of their products aren't priced any worse than competing products -- so again, they're no more premium than the rest of the market that they're competing with.

I feel people just look at the CPU, RAM amount, maybe the GPU, and storage, then conveniently ignore all of the other parameters that people like.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I feel people just look at the CPU, RAM amount, maybe the GPU, and storage, then conveniently ignore all of the other parameters that people like.

Apple also looses in the number of design/manufacturing flaws. Apple has a flaws in a lot of their products that you wouldn't even seen in products in the low budget range.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Apple also looses in the number of design/manufacturing flaws. Apple has a flaws in a lot of their products that you wouldn't even seen in products in the low budget range.

I'd like to hear those. Preferably the ones that haven't made the news.

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

citation needed

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd like to hear those. Preferably the ones that haven't made the news.

I'm going to list the ones that made the news, as they are still valid and are not problems found in lower end products:

• Holding an iPhone 4 normally and having poor to no reception (Apple's response: "your holding it wrong")
  • Green line of death on the iPhone X
  • Speakers buzzing on the iPhone X at around 50% volume
  • iPhone 5 rattling due to Apple not properly fixing the battery in place.
  • That is is case of denying the issue until they couldn't ignore it any-more, as per usual ->https://www.apple.com/au/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
  • The 2011 15" and 17" Macbook  Pro also had the same problem as above, and Apple got sued for concealing defects ->http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/15/2011-macbook-pro-graphics-class-action-suit-expands-accuses-apple-of-concealing-defects
  • Lack of underfill under the touch IC in iPhone 6 (something that wasn't omitted in previous models), meaning that if you dropped the phone and the screen got replaced it still wouldn't work (the entire motherboard needed to be replaced)-the ease of bending didn't help at all either.
  • iPhone 6 bending due to lack of reinforcement in key areas (worked on in the 6+)

PMSL

7 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

citation needed

See below your post.

PMSL

11 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

are not problems found in lower end products:

Actually, I apologize for making you get a list because for the purposes of furthering your argument, the quoted statement just made it a waste of time.

The problem I have is the quoted statement makes me think you feel lower end products are somehow immune to manufacturing defects that are equally annoying or bad. I mean, technically the listed defects are only on Apple products because most of those appear to be unique to the design of said product. But manufacturing defects exist in every spectrum. But just because it's a more expensive product doesn't mean it's more immune to defects.

Also Apple's reaction to most of those isn't really unique to Apple either. LG's response to the boot loop issue is basically "there's no issue". And then they got sued.

21 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'm going to list the ones that made the news, as they are still valid and are not problems found in lower end products:

• Holding an iPhone 4 normally and having poor to no reception (Apple's response: "your holding it wrong")

This was pretty rediculous. I think they assumed you would get a case and it fixed it. A lot of people got free cases. Its probably a fair assumption though because you pay a lot for an iPhone and its not much more to get a case. It was to do with the banded Antenna design.

• Green line of death on the iPhone X
  • Speakers buzzing on the iPhone X at around 50% volume
  • iPhone 5 rattling due to Apple not properly fixing the battery in place.

Never experienced this on my devices.

I did hear about these just recently. It's more for a problem with MacOS rather than hardware, they definitely did cock up here.

• Lack of underfill under the touch IC in iPhone 6 (something that wasn't omitted in previous models), meaning that if you dropped the phone and the screen got replaced it still wouldn't work (the entire motherboard needed to be replaced)-the ease of bending didn't help at all either.
  • iPhone 6 bending due to lack of reinforcement in key areas (worked on in the 6+)

This isn't true at all. The 6+ scandal was most likely people trying to get it covered under warranty (proven by many people). I've also had my 6's screen replaced an embarrasing amount of times and that is plainly not true.

The issues that did occur are not found in low end products because these are not low end products. I'm not going to say that other companies have these problems so its ok (they do however - I don't know if there was a big recall on Note 7 products over them exploding?). The GPU issue was not resolved within a suitable timeframa at all. Most people buy Apple products for longevity and its quite a shame for this to happen. I will expect Apple to payout for it however - but dealing with an issue this old that people have put off doing something about is hard.

9 hours ago, <Aleks> said:

The Surface is a tablet, it can not replace a PC. 

Well, by definition, any smartphone or tablet is also a PC.

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

My hand is wrapped around my phone making it easy to press small elements; with a tablet it isn't.

A small element is a small element. Form factor doesn't suddenly make a small element usable or unusable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

That's because these three all stupidly unlikely. The green line is a manufacturing defect, not a design defect, and the same is likely true for both the speaker and the 5 rattle --  Shit happens when you produce any product in extremely high volumes in very short periods. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I did hear about these just recently. It's more for a problem with MacOS rather than hardware, they definitely did cock up here.

I don't know about the retina Macs, but the non-retina Macs was due to the AMD GPUs dying. 

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

A small element is a small element. Form factor doesn't suddenly make a small element usable or unusable.

But it does. You hold your phone differently than you do a tablet and thus interact with it in different ways -- I use my phone mostly with my thumb because my fingers are all busy holding the phone. I use a tablet mostly with my index finger because I can't hold and use a 10"+ tablet one handed and thus I have to hold it with one hand and interact with it with the other hand (making an index finger far more convenient). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Over priced, ehh maybe but the shit just works my I7 dual core macbook pro kicks ass and I use it 5 hours a day 24/7/365 - optimization is a huge part of that, now I no longer have a "PC" laptop so I may be biased on that but the optimization between apps and the fact that it's built like a brick shit house has me won over - one big drawback and the angst of many is the inability to upgrade components so they lose my vote on that front.

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

29 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Actually, I apologize for making you get a list because for the purposes of furthering your argument, the quoted statement just made it a waste of time.

The problem I have is the quoted statement makes me think you feel lower end products are somehow immune to manufacturing defects that are equally annoying or bad. I mean, technically the listed defects are only on Apple products because most of those appear to be unique to the design of said product. But manufacturing defects exist in every spectrum. But just because it's a more expensive product doesn't mean it's more immune to defects.

Also Apple's reaction to most of those isn't really unique to Apple either. LG's response to the boot loop issue is basically "there's no issue". And then they got sued.

My point was that with their price of their products, they shouldn't have serious defects like the ones I listed at all when manufacturers of low end devices can avoid them.  And Apple is well known to consistently censor any reports of defects (and people recommending solutions-even if it is to go to Apple to get the device repaired) if they can, until the media finally gets wind of what's going wrong.

10 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

This was pretty rediculous. I think they assumed you would get a case and it fixed it. A lot of people got free cases. Its probably a fair assumption though because you pay a lot for an iPhone and its not much more to get a case. It was to do with the banded Antenna design.

Name 1 other phone at any price that had/has the same design flaw, and why it wasn't a problem in previous and successive iPhones (spoilers, they realise they screwed up big time)

You own an iPhone X? Despite at the very least the inferior battery life compared to the 8?

This isn't true at all. The 6+ scandal was most likely people trying to get it covered under warranty (proven by many people). I've also had my 6's screen replaced an embarrasing amount of times and that is plainly not true.

Its a real thing, here you go: https://ifixit.org/blog/8309/iphone-6-plus-gray-flicker-touch-death/

The issues that did occur are not found in low end products because these are not low end products. I'm not going to say that other companies have these problems so its ok (they do however - I don't know if there was a big recall on Note 7 products over them exploding?).

When you consider what your getting for the price of an Apple product, since your not getting the specs you should be getting excellent build quality and longevity out of your Apple product. And that's not happening any where near as much as it used to.

The GPU issue was not resolved within a suitable timeframa at all. Most people buy Apple products for longevity and its quite a shame for this to happen. I will expect Apple to payout for it however - but dealing with an issue this old that people have put off doing something about is hard.

Its not a matter of people putting doing something about the issue off, its a matter of Apple putting the issue off until it can no longer be denied.  And have you seen how much money Apple is willing to pour into not paying people out?

PMSL

Its the same reason I hate windows 10 and now am leaning towards Linux, I can't control my computer in to a level I'm comfortable with hence I hate their influence on the market and thus hate them. The retarded fanboys don’t help either

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

Over priced, ehh maybe but the shit just works my I7 dual core macbook pro kicks ass and I use it 5 hours a day 24/7/365 - optimization is a huge part of that, now I no longer have a "PC" laptop so I may be biased on that but the optimization between apps and the fact that it's built like a brick shit house has me won over - one big drawback and the angst of many is the inability to upgrade components so they lose my vote on that front.

I think people forget that a lot of people buy a product with the added premium due to brand-name reputation. Ive really wanted a surface book even though the XPS is supirior im the price to performance. At the end lf the day apple earned their premium reputation and keep rolling out products that do not dissapoints. They want to keep the premium rep just like Microsoft and Dell and many others want to gain the premium rep to sell with a premium. I dont love apple and their products, however they show a lot feutures like the large track pad that still give them that slight edge to keep a premium product premium.

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Name 1 other phone at any price that had/has the same design flaw, and why it wasn't a problem in previous and successive iPhones (spoilers, they realise they screwed up big time)

I don't have to. No other phone has the same design flaw bacause its a unique design. It wasn't a problem because they used a different design. It was however fixed early on in the rollout of the iPhone 4.

You own an iPhone X? Despite at the very least the inferior battery life compared to the 8?

I charge my phone every day.

It is not a real thing. At the end if the day if you damage those chips you have to pay for it. You shouldn't be careless with your phone, particularily if you have an expensive device.

When you consider what your getting for the price of an Apple product, since your not getting the specs you should be getting excellent build quality and longevity out of your Apple product. And that's not happening any where near as much as it used to.

You do get decent build quality.

Its not a matter of people putting doing something about the issue off, its a matter of Apple putting the issue off until it can no longer be denied.  And have you seen how much money Apple is willing to pour into not paying people out?

If you hold off a class-action lawsuit that should have happened when the issues occured then you are putting off the issue yourself. It is a lot easier to get responsibility from Apple within the serviceable period for the device (Around 4 years). The fact of the matter is people should have spoken up sooner about it.

I don't have to. No other phone has the same design flaw bacause its a unique design. It wasn't a problem because they used a different design. It was however fixed early on in the rollout of the iPhone 4.

I charge my phone every day.

It is not a real thing. At the end if the day if you damage those chips you have to pay for it. You shouldn't be careless with your phone, particularily if you have an expensive device.

How is it not a real thing, its clearly happening and due to a defect that prior and current models don't have. Also, any mobile phone is going to be dropped during its life no matter how careful people are, hence why manufacturers take steps to limit how much damage happens when its dropped. Such as by having underfill under any BGA IC.

You do get decent build quality.

If you hold off a class-action lawsuit that should have happened when the issues occured then you are putting off the issue yourself. It is a lot easier to get responsibility from Apple within the serviceable period for the device (Around 4 years). The fact of the matter is people should have spoken up sooner about it.

I can get decent build quality from dirt cheap products. Apple should be giving excellent build quality with how much they are charging. When you look at how small their phone market share is for example, then look at how they make up the majority of smartphone profits, they definitely can afford to give customers a product with excellent build quality, not just decent.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

How is it not a real thing, its clearly happening and due to a defect that prior and current models don't have. Also, any mobile phone is going to be dropped during its life hence why manufacturers take steps to limit how much damage happens when its dropped. Such as by having underfill under any BGA IC.

There is no history provided. The phones with this defect could have been smashed intensely or simply dropped. I have had my 6's screen replaced more than enough times to suggest this was an error on the users part.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

I can get decent build quality from dirt cheap products. Apple should be giving excellent build quality with how much they are charging. When you look at how small their phone market share is for example, then look at how they make up the majority of smartphone profits, they definitely can afford to give customers a product with excellent build quality, not just decent.

Then buy dirt cheap products. It is not Apples problem.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

There is no history provided. The phones with this defect could have been smashed intensely or simply dropped. I have had my 6's screen replaced more than enough times to suggest this was an error on the users part.

Then buy dirt cheap products. It is not Apples problem.

What is it with you not wanting Apple to actually sell products that are better/worth the asking price?

PMSL

19 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Consumer Reports put the battery life of the X at 19.5 hours, the 8 at 19 hours, and the 8 Plus at 21 hours. Alternatively, the S8 lasted 23 hours (with a 10% larger battery than the X) and doesn't get as bright, and all the tests are also done at full brightness (the X hits 634nits while the S8 hits 423 nits). So if you run the X at a more normal brightness level then the battery life is perfectly fine and is better than the iPhone 8. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Dabombinable said:

What is it with you not wanting Apple to actually sell products that are better/worth the asking price?

I never said I don't want Apple to lower their prices. It is still not Apples problem you said so yourself. Why would they change if they can make more money?

30 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

My point was that with their price of their products, they shouldn't have serious defects like the ones I listed at all when manufacturers of low end devices can avoid them.  And Apple is well known to consistently censor any reports of defects (and people recommending solutions-even if it is to go to Apple to get the device repaired) if they can, until the media finally gets wind of what's going wrong.

You hold Apple in high regard but every other PC manufacturer also has products that are similarly priced. If there are problems with the XPS 13 similar to those found in Macbook Pros, then Dell shouldn't get any more of a free pass just because they're not seen as a boutique.

Also a lot of times defects don't show up until the product is out in the field simply because nobody thought to test that corner case.