Build for a better cause.

sodapopcan

Linus i hope you read this because i believe it is a really great idea for you and your team. I want to suggest to you an idea that can help a charity of the communities choosing, fund some of your tech channel things, and give an amazing prize to one lucky person a month. I did not know where to post this seeing as it is my first post so i'm putting it here to avoid bad things.

Introducing to you "Build for a better cause!" 

What it is: Build for a better cause is a once a month raffle that you can subscribe to on your website for a chance to win a signed computer from your team, donate money to charity, and give you a small bit of funding for videos.

how it works: its a continuing once a month 5 dollar subscription. you receive a numbered ticked each month you keep your sub going. your goal total is $1000 for pc parts and shipping. once you've hit that mark your team builds a computer, signs it all over and ships it to the winning contestant announced on the wan show. 

Here is the real goal: The real goal is over that $1000 dollar mark because 95% of anything past that mark gets donated to a charity of choice decided with a vote on your wan show. the rest of the 5 percent goes to your team and helps fund future vids. 

at $5 a piece it would only take 250 people to go above and beyond the charity mark. and higher subs can exist (multiple tickets a month)

Linus, you have a big group of people that follow you and support you. you can use this to improve someones life drastically. I know that it would be a hard thing to pull off, but if its done right it can work out for everyone. 

Build for a better cause.

@LinusTech

doesnt sound too bad.

Its probably really hard to get it all running and stuff.

PLUS: Only people who have the money to donate have a chance to win the pc and those people probably already have a great pc.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

If any team of people could pull this off its his. If he could just poll people during the next wan show and ask how many people would sub he could get an idea if it would work or not.

If he doesn't reach the month goal the money could be pooled to the next month.

@sodapopcan sounds like a good idea. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

doesnt sound too bad.

Its probably really hard to get it all running and stuff.

PLUS: Only people who have the money to donate have a chance to win the pc and those people probably already have a great pc.

It sounds even better if you ditch the charity thing.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

It sounds even better if you ditch the charity thing.

But charity is the most of the point :(

But charity is the most of the point :(

I thought the point was bringing the community closer together. I don't believe in charity funds, you never know how much money actually goes for charity. And to be completely honest, I'd rather my money go towards Linus and Co.

I thought the point was bringing the community closer together. I don't believe in charity funds, you never know how much money actually goes for charity. 

It could do both at the same time and some can be sketchy but i think a lot of honest ones do exist.

I thought the point was bringing the community closer together. I don't believe in charity funds, you never know how much money actually goes for charity. And to be completely honest, I'd rather my money go towards Linus and Co.

well, if Linus manages the money and stuff they will probably find a good cause they donate it too. If you just want to give LTT the money you can do that here by becoming a contributer.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

well, if Linus manages the money and stuff they will probably find a good cause they donate it too. If you just want to give LTT the money you can do that here by becoming a contributer.

I agree with this. and as to the already owning a computer thing. I think a lot of people would care about a signed one. :D

@LinusTech, @Slick, not a bad iedea at all, i like it

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Can you give me a link please? I can't find anything about it in pinned topics :/

Can you give me a link please? I can't find anything about it in pinned topics :/

http://linustechtips.com/main/store/

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

I actually really like this idea, seems great!

@LinusTech

@Slick

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

I think Linus will agree that it's a good idea, but he and his team probably don't have the time to do this. His company lives on a tight budget and the time that goes into making that charity stuff is worth more, if spent on other videos. Which is not to say that he is egotistical and want more money, but he would probably have to draw more than 5% of the money in order to sustain the project. And as always haters are gonna hate and accuse him to just do that giveaway in order to draw attention and money. So this idea is a mixed bag.

I personally think it's not gonna happen.

who cares...

Interesting but if this goes down the charity that being funneled money better be a good one.....

I'd personally dump money into innovation that may change the world drastically than dump money into the recycle bin that is charity. 

Oh and welcome to the forums OP!

4YNI1Xu.gif

Don't forget to read the CoC here!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I actually really like this idea, seems great!

@LinusTech

@Slick

@LinusTech, @Slick, not a bad iedea at all, i like it

Thanks for the support guys. This is something that i feel can really benefit everyone. 

Thanks for the support guys. This is something that i feel can really benefit everyone. 

it's for a good cause, worth support

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Am i the only one that's really skeptical ?, as it is Linus media group have a shitload to do and hardly no free time at all, how are they gonna be able to squeeze this in their already loaded schedule ?, And who is gonna pay linus/slick for their time to build the systems ?.

Charity is nice and all that, but shipping a built system all over the world ?, that's pretty wishful thinking that's it not gonna break, EVEN if its properly packaged the transport firms are legendary sloppy, if this becomes real and you can solve the cost/time for linus/slick and the transportation then sure, i'll even throw in for the first build.

Am i the only one that's really skeptical ?, as it is Linus media group have a shitload to do and hardly no free time at all, how are they gonna be able to squeeze this in their already loaded schedule ?, And who is gonna pay linus/slick for their time to build the systems ?.

Charity is nice and all that, but shipping a built system all over the world ?, that's pretty wishful thinking that's it not gonna break, EVEN if its properly packaged the transport firms are legendary sloppy, if this becomes real and you can solve the cost/time for linus/slick and the transportation then sure, i'll even throw in for the first build.

the percentage of the funding can be allocated however pleased with atleast 50 percent going to charity.and the $1000 donated would go towards shipping fees. 

*Starts opening fake charities*

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

also really like the idea but how about the extra money going into a kickstarter project the community chooses instead of charity since nobody seems to trust those

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

also really like the idea but how about the extra money going into a kickstarter project the community chooses instead of charity since nobody seems to trust those

this...

MY PC: Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540, Motherboard: AsRock 970 Extreme 4, CPU: AMD FX 4300 AM3+ GPU: EVGA GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB SLI RAM: 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ Low-Profile Black Memory PSU: Corsair CX 600M Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo OS Drive: Corsair Force LS 120GB SSD Data Drive: 500GB Seagate 5400rpm 2.5" laptop drive OS: Windows 8.1 64bit Lights: NZXT Hue Kit Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire TK MX Blue Mouse: Wired Microsoft Mouse Monitor: Sony Bravia KDL42W654A 42" Smart TV + LG LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23-inch IPS Monitor