Glass tubing (moved to build logs)

Probably a stupid question but:

Could you use glass cooling in place of regular flexible or rigid acrylic tubing? Granted it would not be a mobile system by any means what-so-ever. I was just thinking about a bunch of different things and was just wondering. My idea would involve the use of scientific grade glass tubing which is easily bendable with a simple propane blowtorch, and I believe that it would be thermal shock resistant enough to withstand anything temps a cpu could put out.

It would look ballin as hell if done right.

Edit: Assume no performance benefit, purely aesthetic purposes

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why? Acrylic does everything that Glass does

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

You could also use some PVC tubing I think.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Glass tubing will require delicate handling, will be expensive and won't be as easy to use as any other variety of tubing. If you still want to go for it... its your choice.

There is a very real advantage to glass.  

It doesnt stain, and heat doesnt cause it to crack.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

and its refractive index makes it look just way prettier than acrylics ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

This is also very true... and you can clean it without it scratching.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

You could also use some PVC tubing I think.

You also could use straws.... daaa

@LukaP Thank you very much for making the point.

Glass would look prettier, and you can do things with glass that you can't do with acrylic, like never have to worry about a coolant interacting with your tubing, ever, ever, ever (at least to my knowledge).

Not to mention reasons lol. I just think it would look ballin as hell, especially if you got a glass blower to make some crazy ass mad scientist lookin reservoir to go with it. Or if you wanted to go balls out you could find a way to put glass fins on the glass tubing and have all your tubing also function like a radiator slightly. Granted, delicate as fuck. Although If I remember correctly the scientific tubing is supposed to be relatively durable (within reason. There is a glass bong you can kick around on the floor and not even worry about after all [edit: its called the hurricane, videos are on youtube, they straight up toss it and it just goes clang])

Although If I remember correctly the scientific tubing is supposed to be relatively durable (within reason. There is a glass bong you can kick around on the floor and not even worry about after all [edit: its called the hurricane, videos are on youtube])

yeah it is, the equipment we have is really durable. i imagine i could probs drop some of the more durble things and they would be fine xD

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

@LukaP Lol. Just hurry up and work with your scientist buddies and bring out transparent aluminum tubing, I know transparent aluminum already does exist.

Anyone else find it odd that spell check uses the wrong spelling of aluminium?

Edit: Horrid thought, what happens to said glass tubing when I turn up my 470 watt twin 8 inch woofer surround sound? OH NOESSSSS :o

I tried this some time ago....it did not end well.

Glass is just too brittle,it won't give at all.

Stick to acrylic.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

@LukaP Lol. Just hurry up and work with your scientist buddies and bring out transparent aluminum tubing, I know transparent aluminum already does exist.

Anyone else find it odd that spell check uses the wrong spelling of aluminium?

Edit: Horrid thought, what happens to said glass tubing when I turn up my 470 watt twin 8 inch woofer surround sound? OH NOESSSSS :o

aluminium = GLORIOUS ENGLISH AND LATIN MASTERRACE

aluminum = dirty murican peasant ;)

just dont get it into resonance and it will be fine. and im not sure what the res freq would be, but id say some 5Hz with the water in it so it should be fine. without the water it would be higher in the hearing range id say

Could you use glass cooling in place of regular flexible or rigid acrylic tubing? Granted it would not be a mobile system by any means what-so-ever. I was just thinking about a bunch of different things and was just wondering. My idea would involve the use of scientific grade glass tubing which is easily bendable with a simple propane blowtorch, and I believe that it would be thermal shock resistant enough to withstand anything temps a cpu could put out.

You can use glass tubes but i would advise they be tempered scientific glass is easily broken.

Agreed.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

So, over all, expensive, risky, but actually worth it for the durability over time compared to acrylic? I had not considered that the heat would cause acrylic to crack, which makes me want glass even more.

do they have glass tubing in the same diameter as the acrylic?

Funny all the "Sheeple" that jump on this fellow for "thinking outside the box"......I say give it a try...why not?!

3930K - 4.85Ghz w EK Supremacy | RIVE w Photon 170 D5 Vario / Res Combo | 16GB 1866 Doms | Evga GTX 780Ti SC SLi w EK Full WB's| AX 1.2 kW | 900D - 1 x RX480 1 x EX360 & 1 x EX240 Rads w Noctua NF F & Corsair SP "Push" | W7 HP x64 | MK11: P25,113 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7499603 | Firestrike: 19,576 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1177627

So, over all, expensive, risky, but actually worth it for the durability over time compared to acrylic? I had not considered that the heat would cause acrylic to crack, which makes me want glass even more.

do they have glass tubing in the same diameter as the acrylic?

Because its not true. Acrylic doenst crack from heat,it cracks in the cold or impacts

How else do you think we form it? I tell you now,my 2500w heat gun is not cold in the slightest.

FtVLsft.jpg

7jwaNVN.jpg

All acrylic,all heat bent.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Heat cracks both acrylic and rubber over time from repeated heating and cooling. Heating and cooling do that to everything.

Edit: @B NEGATIVE Nice setup by the way. what case is that?

Heat cracks both acrylic and rubber over time from repeated heating and cooling. Heating and cooling do that to everything.

Edit: @B NEGATIVE Nice setup by the way. what case is that?

Its a Caselabs S3 with Ped.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60704-clos3-impact-im-in-this-months-bittech-motmand-i-didnt-have-to-spam-my-junk-once/page-1

Thermal cycling is a lot more than just heat like your post implies.

If you do it well and don't fuck up it will look much better than glass (I don't know why but glass always looks better than plastic). I say go for it, it's something new, will look amazing and is just plain cool!

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

^^^^ Fvck exactly...!!!!!! Would look way better than Acrylic (glass always does).....you'll have to post up pics for sure if you do it...!!!!

3930K - 4.85Ghz w EK Supremacy | RIVE w Photon 170 D5 Vario / Res Combo | 16GB 1866 Doms | Evga GTX 780Ti SC SLi w EK Full WB's| AX 1.2 kW | 900D - 1 x RX480 1 x EX360 & 1 x EX240 Rads w Noctua NF F & Corsair SP "Push" | W7 HP x64 | MK11: P25,113 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7499603 | Firestrike: 19,576 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1177627

Did you go and research refraction after this thread the other day ;P http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165434-why-does-led-fans-always-look-like-卐/page-2#entry2219045

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s